Anyone photograph the "super-moon" tonight?

scott_murphy5

<p>We have absolutely perfect weather for it here in NW FL, crystal clear skies. I used my 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS Nikkor and my TC-300 and snapped it a few minutes ago. Exposure is a snap. A full moon has the same exposure as the "bright sunny day" rule; ie 1/ASA @ f/16. I had the ISO on 100 so I just set 1/100 and f/8 (to account for two stop loss due to the TC) and voila! perfect exposure!</p>

<p> </p><div>00blZ1-540944284.jpg.4de9849c155fe339162fba7db1b8ce4c.jpg</div>

<p>Technically, the Supermoon will not "peak" until 7:20-ish Sunday Morning in the USA, meaning that tonight's moon isn't actually much bigger than you usually see it. Tomorrow night is being considered the night to really see the Supermoon. All the science and weather sites I've been on have named the Supermoon for Sunday, June 23rd for the night to view. I'll be photographing tomorrow night if it's clear here.</p>

<p>I hiked up to Black Balsam on the Blue Ridge Parkway, elevation a little over 6000 feet, intending to shoot the moon low on the horizon with a landscape as the foreground when it rose early with sunlight still present. Unfortunately and not uncommon for Black Balsam, a wave of clouds started blowing through an hour or so before sunset and moonrise and cut visibility to a few hundred feet until well after the moon had risen. However, while driving back home I did get a couple of shots I liked at Parkway overlooks, including this one of the moon over Looking Glass Rock. I used a couple of graduated neutral density filters, 5 stops combined, to keep from totally blowing out the moon while having a long enough exposure to get some detail in the landscape.</p><div>00bleL-540951584.jpg.55c0b8305d907e308238b60595845de0.jpg</div>

<p>Here's the other one I got that I liked. The moon is not in the shot but the light it was putting out helped. Without the moon it would have been pitch dark. This is from the Pounding Mill Overlook on the Parkway. The tower and lights are on Mount Pisgah. The streaks of light high in the image are cars on the Parkway, and the ones low in the frame are on Hwy 276 which exits the Parkway a mile or so past the overlook I was shooting from.</p><div>00bleR-540951784.jpg.dac6e026fad7917e0900478662d6bf88.jpg</div>

<p>Well, the reason it doesn't look much different is because the super moon peaked at 7:20 AM EST, which of course we could not see on the east coast. It won't be much different tonight, but all the sites I read said photograph Sunday night, not Saturday to get a bigger moon.</p>

<p>Agree with some of the others here. I think it is something that the media can jabber about which costs them nothing and means actually very little. I challenge you to actually tell the difference between this and a regular full moon. Reminds me of the way many seem to believe that just because you have walked up a mountain the view will, of necessity, be great.</p>
Robin Smith