Obstacles to buying across countries

<p>I bought a Hexar RF camera from a member of RFF. It was sent by EMS post and was last reported with Indian Customs. Because I need correction for vision, I ordered an eye-piece adapter from Japan Exposures into which I can fit one one of my Leica M diopters. EMS shipping was offered on their web site. I selected that and paid for it.<br>

This morning I got a message from Japan Exposures saying that Japan Post does not offer EMS to my location and asking what they should do. I said in answer that I had received several parcels from Japan by EMS and sent, as illustration, the link for tracking the parcel that has reached India. The man responded with, "the post code of your area is exempted as per Japan Post web site. The Aichi shipment probably went through by mistake...".<br>

It is a fact that I have received several EMS parcels at my present postal code from more than one location in Japan. I find it difficult to believe that Japan Post does not offer a particular service to one or a few locations within any country. Why should Japan Post make such exceptions or "exemptions"?<br>

This was not the first difficulty with Japan Exposures. I have no PayPal, so a friend in California ordered and paid. Strangely, he got the response that Paypal did not permit residents of the USA to pay for items to be shipped to India. I know for certain that this too is not true. More than one friend has paid by PayPal for things which Japanese sellers have then sent to me. (Also Chinese and Korean and British and Dutch sellers, and one from Malta...)<br>

As I could not understand the postal problem, I asked the man who sold me the camera if he would try to explain. He said that Japanese postal staff know little about their own regulations concerning international shipments and are reluctant to take decisions at the lower levels. I can understand this, because the Indian postal department is similar. I would attribute the PayPal problem also to incomplete understanding and perhaps bad programming as well.<br>

Japan Post and PayPal are both large bureaucracies, and it has been said that bureaucracies are the home of asininity. Whatever the details or the explanation, we must accept that we are a long way from free communication and trade across the world.<br>

<strong>Moderator:</strong> As this has little to do with Leicas and Range-finders, maybe it should be moved to a better place.</p>

<p>Mukul,</p>

<p>No, this seems to be the right place for your message. I have done a lot of transactions with individuals and businesses in Asian nations. I always insist on PayPal when buying and prefer it when selling. NO THIRD PARTY, please.<br>

Jerry Lehrer<br>

La Jolla, California</p>

<p>I share your frustration. You would think in this day and age there would be standardization of services and performance standards, but I guess the bureaucrats would be put out of business. I can sell stuff on the big auction site and for domestic shipments, online postage and print these wonderful stick on labels, attach them to the box, and I drop it into a collection box at the post office; international shipments, I can buy postage online, but...no stick on labels, 2 sheets of 81/2x11 paper creating 4 forms which MUST be individually processed by the post office, put into plastic customs envelopes which are attached to the packages...etc, etc.</p>

I have frequently encountered problems purchasing things from Japan. Shipping has never been a problem but many

online stores do not accept credit cards or PayPal but need a bank draft. It's too much hassle so I pass them over for a

seller that is doing business in a modern way. I have missed out on some Uji-cha and suiseki, but I think they were the

real losers in the deal.

On the other hand I did business with a Go (Igo) equipment supplier in Japan and they were first rate in every way when

dealing with an international customer. I have my hon-kaya board to prove it! =)

<p>Hi Mukul,<br>

I live in Hong Kong and have a good photographer friend in Goa, India whom I have shipped stuff to in the past.<br>

Regarding the subject: "Obstacles To Buying Across Countries", I would include both Indian Customs and the Indian Postal Service. <br>

First parcel I sent to my friend was a used vintage Mamiya MF tripod. Received without a problem. <br>

Second parcel sent had a Voigtlander Bessa T, with Russian 50mm 2.8, plus hood, filter, etc. Received without a problem. However, when picking up the parcel he noticed another fellow was there to collect a box of chocolates sent from abroad. The box had been slyly opened, the chocolates consumed, and the wrappers replaced therein!<br>

Third parcel sent to my friend was of a used single man tent, hiking boots and something else I cannot remember now. When my friend went to collect this parcel, the tent material was missing, but the tent poles remained! Boots made it through.<br>

I have alot of sympathy for photographers in India who wish to keep alive the art of shooting film, especially black & white film. It is hardly available, never mind the filters, hoods and all the other accessories which people living elsewhere take for granted.<br>

I wish you luck Mukul, you are a good photographer, and a patient man as well!</p>