LTM vs. M

Two23

<p>"Lens cap reminder" -- at last someone has put into words the true function of the TTL meter. I discovered the benefits of the reminder when I replaced my M3 with an M6; and re-discovered them when a Hexar RF came in place of my second camera, an M2.</p>

<p>I guess I'm not seeing enough advantage for an M series for me. The M6, maybe, eventually. Maybe even an M8 when it drops a little more. I'm usually shooting in somewhat dynamic light, and it is the metering that slows me down. OTOH, I really love the small size of the IIIc and the classic look & feel. It's a beauty! Add an M8 to my lenses and I would have a nice small combo for travel.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Kent, this may be heretical but the OM-4Ti is about the same size as a Barnack, has excellent lenses, rugged and weatherized build, exceptional spot metering system (up to eight metered zones), and a reasonable price. </p>

I still use my IIIA occasionally using Ilford XP2. I set the shutter at 1/500th and vary the aperture but leave it set at F5.6 in the case. The latitude of the film means I have very rarely had a badly exposed neg although I don't shoot indoors. I used this camera setup for about 20 years and nothing else and regret having to use digital. I had pictures accepted for Alamy but now they won't take under 24mp so my IIIA pictures are no use to them.

<p>I have an M2, an M6TTL 0.58, and a IIIg. Over time I have gradually migrated towards the IIIg, due mainly to its size and weight. With an old 50 mm Elmar, it is substantially more handy than an M with any lens. The shortcomings of the LTM camera seem relatively unimportant in practice.</p>

An M7 is essentially the same camera as an M2, with some minor differences, and a metering system

that's as fast and flexible as any Leica. I think you'd find the viewfinder of an M camera significantly nicer

than a IIIc, but like others have said, you can take great pictures with either one.

I too am a fan of the M4. I have several LTM cameras, and quite a few M's, but the M4 is the one I generally shoot with if I

plan to carry a single camera.

The M4 has a useful array of frame lines, is easier to load than many other Leicas, and the rewind crank is much faster

than the knob of the M2/M3 cameras. And the M4 still has the "feel" of the classic Leica camera. I was never able to

become attached to the later M4-2, or M4-P cameras, nor did I bond with the M6TTL.

Focus and metering are no longer issues after having shot a few thousand images. I generally shoot at f/8, and zone

focus. I have used an MR4 meter, and a handheld meter, but these were used not to provide me with the correct light

readings, but to verify what readings I happened to guess at the time. You can read the light with a fair amount of

accuracy over time. The MR4 meter is a little difficult to adjust to at first, because with the the meter attached, the

direction of the shutter speed dial is reversed, which can cause a bit of confusion and delay when shooting.

A hand held incident meter is always more accurate than the built in meter in any camera. I use a hand held meter in the

studio, even though my DSLR has quite a fancy metering system. Incident metering is quite easy to do. If I am walking

down the street, and am photographing something in front of me, I hold up the meter with it facing over my shoulder, so

the same light which is hitting the subject is also hitting my meter. Very simple and easy.

• 1 month later...
<p>Never had the coin(All at one time)for a Leica but did get lots of deals on Canon cameras. I use two canon barnacks a trio of P's and a VI-t with a little used 7. An assortment of handheld meters help with my sunny 16 training, a skill I prefer to hone rather than a reliance on the built-in meters. The BIG advantage is the screw mount lenses. There's a lot of excellent vintage glass to be had . The German/Russian - Japanese competition during the '30's, '40's, 50's 60's and'70's left us with a wealth of great(and not so great )lenses. So much to choose from enjoy. </p>

• 5 weeks later...
<p>I have used Leica's since 1956 and when graduated to an M3 I thought I had it made. Used it for years with one of the MR meters on top ( they can be rebuilt and CHRIS makes a great battery adaptation) and then I used a Luna-Pro SBC which you can pick up cheaply. Used this combination for years then got a pair of M6's which I consider the best Leica ever made. Currently have a pair of M8's but still hang on to the M3, it's just too good to let go.</p>