$1000 budget

<p>You shoot everything from an overpass? Interesting. :)</p>

<p>If you are open to using manual focus legacy lenses (and it appears as tho you might be since you seem to shoot landscapes) then I would recommend a Sony NEX 6. They can be had for around 650 starting prices on the auction site.</p>

<p>Then I would suggest a Metabones Speedbooster for your NEX in the mount of your choice. I chose Contax/Yashica. This runs around 400 bones or so. More for the Canon EOS version, so dont look at that one.<br>

<a href="http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster">http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster</a></p>

<p>The speedbooster is real and works as advertised. Basically makes all your lenses full frame again while making them one stop faster to boot. Please view my speedbooster folder on flickr as proof that it works.<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/</a></p>

<p>This would leave you about 150 left from your higher budget. Enough to pick up a couple of good primes, maybe 3 if you shop around, and depending on the mount you picked up.</p>

<p>Of course, if your looking for AutoFocus then please ignore the above. Of course you could still go with a NEX 6, Sony LAEA1 adapter and a couple of Minolta AF primes. Or just get a couple of e mount lenses to go on it.</p>

<p>The Sony NEX cameras are superb. The Fuji's are great also, especially since they now have focus peaking like the NEX's do to help with manual focus. For me tho the killer is they dont have tilt screens. I use those to much in my macro to give them up.</p>

<p>Micro four thirds is awesome as well. But I prefer the much larger sensor inthe NEX line. Its a true apsc sized sensor.</p>

<p>No recommendations from me <strong>Joe</strong>, as I'm still debating whether or not I want to jump into the mirrorless pool. I <em>will</em> say that I absolutely <em>love</em> your site and thoroughly enjoyed browsing through your photos. <em>Very nice!</em> What are you using right now?</p>

<p>Thanks for the great information everyone.<br /><br />Andy - I use a Nikon D90, Nikon D7000, and a Canon S90 .. <br>

I am tired of carrying the "big" stuff around and have been using the Canon S90 a lot. f2 with the wide lens is really nice - but shutter lag make it suck for people shots. <br>

Charles and Sanford .. I have heard so many good things about the NEX-6 that it's high on my list.<br /><br />I am just at the point that I want a smaller lighter camera ... </p>

<p><strong><em>Joe</em></strong>, why go with a<strong> too much DOF</strong> small sensor (Nikon V2) ?<br /> When you can go with something like the <strong>EVF</strong> Sony NEX cameras that allow you to use all of your old lenses (Nikon or otherwise), either in APS-C cropped or in many situations like <strong><em>David S.</em></strong> pointed out, full frame sensor...</p>

<p>I'm thinking if you don't want to carry 'big stuff' around you probably don't want to adapt your Nikon lenses either?</p>

<p>Is there reason you're more interested in Nikon 1 rather than m4/3 or other? How important is EVF to you?</p>

<p>Maybe Lumix G5 or G6 + 14-42 + one of the Panasonic telephoto zooms? Might even manage a prime as well like 20/1.7 within that budget. (G5 + 14-42 + 45-150 currently $599). If you don't need a viewfinder, perhaps the more compact Lumix GX1.</p>

<p>My interest in the Nikon is that its sold with the two lenses and I like using Nikon's Capture NX software for post, but my mind is not locked into Nikon.<br>

And yes .. don't want to haul around my Nikon lenses anymore either!<br>

Sidebar: I worry about shutter lag issues too </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi Joe,<br>

I have the Nikon 1 V1 and I love it. The V2 has some improvements over the V1, though I prefer the design of the V1 body better than the V2. I find image quality to be outstanding for a compact digital camera, and the small size and weight of the Nikon 1 lenses is incredible. I love the 6.7-13mm Nikon 1 lens (equal to a 18-35mm field of view). I also love the 18.5mm f1.8 (equal to a 50mm field of view). Shutter lag is nearly non-existant with the V1. Focus is extremely fast too. </p>