Battery problem after firmware 3.20 Sony A7R A7RM2

ilmilco

<p>I purchased some 3rd party batteries for my Sony camera's around january 2016. These have worked fine and have been used many times.<br>

Since the last firmware update i get messages on the camera display incorrect battery, and the camera stops working. This is applicable for both the A7R and the A7RM2.<br>

Any other members here have experienced the same ? <br>

I have at least 5 of these batteries, so i would be happy to know if there is a resolution.</p>

<p>Looking forward to your responses.</p>

<p>Firmware 3.20 was out for only a month before 3.30 was released for the A7Rii. It is not unusual for bugs to be corrected silently in a new release, especially one released so soon. Among the added features is faster startup on power-up, which may be related to the OP's problem. Li-Ion charge level can't be estimated from the voltage, which is nearly constant until the end. There is "smart" circuitry in the battery and camera for that purpose.</p>

<p>Firmware with the same rev number is not necessarily the same for different cameras, nor are all models updated at the same time. A7ii firmware is still current as v3.10.</p>

<p>Watson chargers are among the best available. I have two dual chargers, which have plates for Canon Video and Sony A7 batteries respectively, and are in almost constant use. I haven't been tempted to get their batteries, however. Watson A7 batteries are $20 cheaper than the Sony brand, but IMO it's false economy to go cheap on something you rely on.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>After some investigation, it seems to be caused by a mixture of original and 3rd party batteries when the 3rd party battery is empty or almost empty ...... When both batteries are fully charged the problem does not ooccur anymore.</p>

<p>Today i have updated the firmware of the camera to 3.30 .... am curious to see in the coming days if the difference is major or minor.</p>