How is the Tamron and the Sigma 70mm- 200mm f/2.8 lens

vicki_williamson

<p>I can't afford a new nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 and I am nervous about purchasing a used one because all the ones I've seen on ebay states no returns. So I was looking at the Tamron and the Sigma lens. How are they when it come to sports? Are they slow to focus? How are they overall? Which is the better one?I have a D7000. Your input is greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Vicki </p>

<p>There are several test sites that have reviewed these lenses (and their several versions). I'm unfamiliar with the Tamron but the Sigmas (four versions over the last 15 years) are usually good wide open up to about 135mm and then get progressively softer towards 200mm, where you have to stop down for a sharp image. Their AF is fast and quiet, but accuracy can vary a great deal from lens to lens.<br>

Here are a few test sites:<br>

<a href="http://www.lenstip.com/73-Sigma-lenses.html">http://www.lenstip.com/73-Sigma-lenses.html</a><br>

<a href="http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview">http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview</a><br>

<a href="http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php">http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php</a></p>

<p>Hi Vicki,</p>

<p>I am also looking at buying the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 over the Nikon lens. Have ruled out the Sigma lens as this zoom's in the opposite direction than Nikon lenses. I have the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens and love the quality from it. Exceptionally sharp at f/5.6. <br /><br />Will be very interested to see what others have to say about these two lenses</p>

<p>If you really want to save money, and can manual focus, the older Tamron (Model 19AH) SP 70-210 f/3.5 in an Adaptall mount for Nikon F is a strong performer. Its drawbacks, big, heavy, older design, manual focus, push-pull zoom. But I've been using one for a year now and been delighted with it. Here's a link, if interested: http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>f you really want to save money, and can manual focus, the older Tamron (Model 19AH) SP 70-210 f/3.5</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll second that and add that any Tamron AD2 SP is worth a try. I have several and they are excellent.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How are they when it come to sports? Are they slow to focus?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe it's me, but a MF lens doesn't seem to be the answer to this question.</p>

<p>Mary, how do you find the AF speed of the non-VC Tamron? According to many reviews, the lens would be optically excellent, but very slow to AF... which would make it less suitable for sports.<br>

Vicky, on which body do you intend to use the lens? On DX, the older 70-200VR may still make a good choice (maybe check via large stores, instead of eBay?); on the higher-end bodies (D300 and beefier) the latest model 2-ring AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 isn't all that slow to AF either. It lacks VR or similar, but for sports, you'll be probably using shutterspeeds that do not benefit from VR anyway. This lens can still be found new.<br>

If you do not mind the Sigma lenses zoom and focus rings turning the wrong way around, the latest model looks really good value for the money.</p>

<p>I haven't yet seen the older Tamron in anyone's hands in real life and the reputation for slow AF was so bad it nixed it for the most common use of the 70-200- sports. The Sigmas are well sorted in the handling department but I agree with the reviews, they are softer on the long end than the original marques. The D7000 has some issues with low light and smaller aperture lenses, but I found with fast primes it performed fine, and f2.8 is fast. The D7000 is quite a diddy body and you might like to balance the lens with a battery grip.<br>

Oh, and Sigma variation is a gamble without an exchange possibility.</p>

<p>Vicki, why don't you peruse the Nikon user forums for the used lens? I have a Pentax camera, the Pentaxforum.com has a members market section with used equipment. The equipment is very reliable because only members can sell and have to say if it is their equipment they are selling or otherwise and state problems or scratches if any, plus there are photos to view. There is more information about the equipment and you can easily e-mail the seller within the forum if you are a member or use your e-mail to ask questions. The forums are more friendly than the Ebay type of seller. The members love photography and equipment and it shows. The Pentax forum has information to identify who the seller is and have had almost no problems with fraud. If the equipment isn't what is claimed it can be returned, I have never heard of not being able to return equipment if it is in the same condition as purchased.</p>

<p>As in several earlier threads, I think the bargain out there is the optically (and mechanically) superb 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, which outperforms the AF-D screwdrive focus versions, but now sells for about the same price used. Bargains can be found on the 70-200 VR1, as well. Plenty of sellers (such as myself) offer a return if defective policy. KEH is a good source with a return policy, as well.</p>

<p>I'll second the KEH recommendation. I've purchased three used lenses from these folks, and they're always in topnotch condition. You'll pay a bit more, but the peace of mind is worth it. Save for the Nikon - maybe get the previous iteration. Good luck!</p>

<p>I don't have the Sigma 70-200 OS but I do own the previous non OS version and find it very sharp even wide open. With the HS Motor it is very fast to focus even in low light. I use it with a monopod which helps get sharp pictures. If I was in the market for a 70-200 f/2.8 OS or VC lens I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the Sigma or Tamron. After 5 years of use my Sigma works as good as the day it was purchased.</p>

<p>Vicki, I just purchased the Tamron and I shoot with a D7000....I'm waiting for the Tamron to arrive. If you are willing to wait a bit, I'll test it personally and let you know what I think. In the meantime, there is a thread here in the Nikon forum that I started about this same issue with a number of really good contributions and insights.<br>

Let me answer a bit of what you asked based on my research/review reads but without having actually shoot with the Tamron. Yes, it sounds like the AF speed is an issue with the Tamron (which was not a big factor for me--I wasn't looking at shooting ice skating or gymnastics or some other very fast-moving indoor sport). So you either need to be pre-focusing, going manual, or shooting something a bit more static it seems with that lens. And the presence or lack of VR (or the Sigma and Tamron equivalents) can be an issue if you aren't shooting with a monopod or a way to steady the camera--again, that wasn't a decider for me.</p>

<p>I just recently upgraded from the Tamron to the Nikon. The Tamron is great for non-sports use. It is a great lens, but just doesn't focus fast enough for use in a action/sports environment. <br>

If you do not primarily shoot action shots, the Tamron will work just fine, if you do, I HIGHLY recommend saving up for the Nikon. </p>