Storing edited files

<p>As you work your way through the image editing process, where do you store your files?<br>

Here is what I do currently:<br>

My RAW files are in a folder I created when I uploaded them from my camera. When I edit a RAW file in ACR I can return at any time to this folder to make further changes if I wish. <br>

If I want to make further edits in Photoshop I will save a .PSD copy to a folder called PSD's. <br>

If I want to add this image to my portfolio I will flatten the .psd file and save out as a .tiff or .jpeg to a folder named Portfolio.<br>

Would it be better to put all these files in the same folder? It has occurred to me that it would be nice to have the RAW, PSD and flattened files right next to each other in the same folder. Especially if I changed the file name for the flattened Portfolio file.<br>

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I would look into DAM software (digital asset management). There are several around but Aperture (Mac only) and Lightroom (Mac or PC) are your top contenders. These programs will allow you to "stack" your images. This groups whatever images you would like together. With the stack open you see all the images (Raw, PSD, JPEG whatever you have stacked). With the stack closed, you only see the what you designate as the "top" image. That stacking. The difficult thing about these programs is wrapping your head around a new paradigm of managing your images. The old thinking had you storing one image in one location (folder/directory). With these apps, you can store an image (within the applications database) in <em>multiple</em> locations, but it only exists once on your hard drive. </p>

<p>In any case, my workflow would be to import the raw images into Aperture. If I edit an image in Photoshop, this image (layered PSD) is stacked with the Raw file in Aperture (this happens automatically when I simply save the PSD). When I need a JPEG, I will export a JPEG out of Aperture. If I decide I want a copy of <em>that</em> image (flattened image, JPEG) within Aperture, I can import the JPEG into a folder (actually it's called an album in Aperture) in Aperture; I can name the folder/album whatever I want. </p>

<p>John,<br>

Thanks for replying. You are undoubtably correct that using a database should be the answer. I did try Lightroom for awhile. Maybe I am to old or to stubborn but it just never "clicked" for me. I am much more comfortable using Bridge and creating my own folders on my hard drive. Very old school, but it works for me.<br>

Anyway, I like the stacking idea. I already make use of that for HDR and Focus stacks within Bridge. I'll give it a try with my PSD's and RAW files as well.<br>

Thanks again!<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I agree and disagree with Daniel's response. I too think LR is terrific, but I don't let it organize the files on the HD, only the database.</p>

<p>I continue to load my RAW files into folders named in the following manner:<br>

<<em>project or location</em>><<em>date in day-month-year format</em>><br>

I then import those files into one or more collections, and tag them with appropriate keywords and metadata in the process. I can put files from a multi-day shoot into separate folders for each shooting day, and still access them all in a single named collection.<br>

<Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>I tend to shoot by project, so I store the RAW files in a directory based on date and a brief subject statement, e.g., "D130505 LFS Concert". I use Lightroom for basic editing and organization. It's possible to import files from the memory card to a designated directory, but I usually create the directory outside of Lightroom, copy the files to that directory, then import the directory into Lightroom. For convenience, I sometimes upload files into a directory named, appropriately, "New Photos," but move them to a named directory before editing begins.</p>

<p>Lightroom editing is non-destructive, but you can save the results permanently by exporting the files to another format, like TIF or JPEG. I put these edited files into subdirectories under the one which holds the RAW files, named TIF, JPEG, or whatever is appropriate (e.g., WEB, 4x6, thumbnails, etc.).</p>

<p>You can import the contents of these sub directories back into Lightroom, and display them separately or at the same time as the original. I use the stacking feature sparingly, since it only works within Lightroom. With separate sub directories, I can use any software to print, archive or deliver the results to a customer.</p>

<p>Sometimes I copy edited images into a collection folder, but rename them so that the so the original directory is referenced. You can use Lightroom (and other software) to assemble collections by reference alone, without actually making copies. Theoretically, that's a better procedure, and is consistent with a relational database. It falls apart if the source directory is renamed or moved, or if you need access outside of Lightroom. Most database programs (e.g., Oracle) routinely make copies of data to working tables to save time or for security. That's where theory and practice diverge.</p>