Pentax K5IIs Electronic Focus Problem

joe_casey5

<p>So, I've owned this camera since it was released late in 2012. I ordered it and received it in January. I've shot about 3000 pictures with it in that time and more recently began to notice that when shooting my older M42 mount lenses and using all manual settings, the camera would fire one shot in focus and one blurry (this was shooting strictly sunset shots). <br>

The camera was locked on a tripod and not moved between shots. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. It seems odd that this would happen since once the lens is focused properly, it shouldn't matter which lens / camera combination is matched, at that point the camera is just the recording mechanism and has no control over focus. <br>

My thoughts are that Pentax has somehow designed the sensor and internal focus diodes to look for available light (focusing) regardless of the lens that is attached to it and as a result, when it is coupled with a lens it doesn't recognize, it tries to compensate for the diminished light electronically or simply has a 'brain fart'.<br>

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's had this problem.</p>

<p>-Joe</p>