nikon F2

<p>In my view, the Nikon F (and its RF precursor the SP), F2 and F3 have made it into the Classic ranks.<br>

I have one of each. Each is very smooth, remarkably durable and well built.</p>

<p>My favorite happens to be the F3, but that was my first Nikon (yes, I went all out when I bought it in 1985). It's second nature to me after more than 25 years of use where everything is on this camera. It is smooth and fast with the MD-4 drive. It can meter in the dark and take an AUTO exposure even when I can barely see. Even the LCD meter panel is the original one. It works fine. Nikon thought that the LCD would need replacement every 7 years, but that hasn't been the case.</p>

<p>The F2 is a more recent acquisition. Nicely built, beautiful meter readout (mine is an F2A). Also winds films quite fast with the MD-3 motor drive (overhauled by Sover Wong with a brass gear to replace the split nylon one). I'm still getting used to its nuances, such as the ability to use intermediate shutter speeds within a certain range. Also, I discovered that you can jam up the shutter if you set the ring around the shutter for the self-timer timed speeds (2-10 seconds), but then don't set the self timer. This is cleared by setting the self timer BTW. I also have a plain prism for this camera, but I like the convenience of the meter. The meter resistor ring on the DP-11 is ceramic and will last a lifetime, according to Sover Wong. He does have replacement CdS meter cells, if required. For the DP-3 and DP-12 meters with their delicate resistor rings, he now has newly made ceramic resistor rings to replace them. As long as somebody like Sover Wong is around, you know the F2 will carry on basically forever.</p>

<p>My F has a plain prism, and it is just a simple, straightforward no-nonsense machine. Less intricate than the F2. I have toyed with the idea of getting a meter prism for this one, but most of the F Photomic meters are suspect these days. The ring resistors have gone on a lot of them. For now it goes meterless, and I use incident light metering with my Gossen LunaPro F instead.</p>

<p>All of my camera bodies and prisms have been overhauled by Authorized Photo Service (formerly the Nikon USA Midwestern service office, now independent). They are smooth and silky, with a crystal clear view.</p>

• 2 weeks later...