Advice on 5D Mark II battery grip (BG-E6)

chrsgrhm

<p>On Amazon there are some of these battery grips, usually for the mid-200s ($244, $250, etc.), but there is one for $164, free shipping, whose description says this:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>BRAND NEW. Genuine Factory Canon - Gray Market: The SAME factory product LEGALLY imported into the USA but does NOT carry the manufacturer's warranty or any applied rebates...THAT'S IT! NO PROBLEMS - We carry a 14 day warranty/return policy if not satisfied. These are 1st rate Canon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's $80 cheaper than Adorama's $244 one, but with no Canon warranty.<br>

<br />My question is, How worthwhile is that warranty? Is it worth the $80?</p>

<p>In my experience, I've never had a Canon OEM BG fail. Not to say it can't, or won't happen, but generally, while I'm always hesitant to buy from a seller who tries to hard ("THAT'S IT! NO PROBLEMS") I wouldn't expect to see any problems from this.</p>

<p>Though, in fairness, if you are trying to save money on the BG, many 3rd party units are much cheaper, and work just as well (and just as reliably)... of course they don't say 'Canon' on them ;-)</p>

I guess there shouldn't be any problem, until Canon issue a recall, but I only remember one battery grip recall in the

current century, so I wouldn't worry about that.

On the other hand, I would check the seller rating before buying a brand new product from a non stablished store, but that

it's just common sense.

<blockquote>There's not really much to a battery grip.</blockquote>

<p>Though more now than before. Ultra Cheap ones which use LP-E6s often get confused about communicating the battery info to the camera, though the better quality 3rd party units don't (IMPE) seem to have that problem.</p>

<p>IF you really want to save money and not worry about warranties don't bother with a battery grip. Most users buy them to make their camera look "professional". They will mention the vertical release and extra battery life as rationalizations. I've had seven Canons that I "could" have put battery grips on but why bother? It adds extra weight. I know everybody's going to howl but it's only my opinion. Good luck with your photography.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most users buy them to make their camera look "professional". They will mention the vertical release and extra battery life as rationalizations. . . . I know everybody's going to howl but it's only my opinion.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some cameras are easier to hold with a battery grip attached, and I have a greater sense of security in holding them. (Specifically, the pinkie has a place to grab the camera.) Beyond that, I don't know that the extra battery life or vertical release have mattered to me so much.</p>

<p>I never gave a fig about where or not I looked professional, but I do care about having a good grip on the camera.</p>

<p>As for brands, I have had good luck with the Meike models, but I really don't care for the Vello models.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I've had seven Canons that I "could" have put battery grips on but why bother? It adds extra weight.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>[chuckling] Yeah, I bought a Canon name-brand grip for my 5D long ago, just for shooting marathons. I hated the extra bulk and never used the dumb thing. It kept its value pretty well, though. I sold it in "mint condition" to someone who cared enough about mint condition to pay up for it. He almost paid me what it cost me new. :-)</p>

<p>If you are shooting anything that requires predominantly portrait shots such as (in my case basketball and dance) they are a boon. They add bulk but not any significant weight so it is no real hardship. Sounds like you have never tried one, John. Certainly I don't use for most of the time, but they are nice to have. The Chinese rip offs are so cheap its not expensive either.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I have had both real Canon and third party ones. I have noticed the non-Canon one are made out of thinner plastics, I have had problems with the shutter button not being responsive on third party and the big screw which holds it to the camera not staying or fitting tight to the camera body. For me i would spend the extra $80 bucks and get a 100% USA made Canon with warranty. There is actually quite a bit of electronics in these. Otherwise I would really save my money and get the lowest prices one I could find. But, would always get a warrant they do and can break without needing to be dropped.</p>

<p>The Canon grip is the almost 3 x the cost of the Vello - an extra $175 for the MkIII and $160 for the MkII - not an extra $80 (at B&H). The plastic is the same thickness, but the battery door is looser on the Vello - does it matter? No. It presumably does depend on what 3rd party grip you get.</p>

<p>The Vello has a 1 year warranty. Hey, I should get a commission from Vello, the way I am pushing them!</p>

Robin Smith