is offered they make this rather startling statement:

**** Bracketed exposures, which after all mean a two thirds quota of

waste, are unsatisfactory as a senseless use of materials and are a

thing of the past.****

That's pretty steep. One of their featured artists has some pretty

unique shots made in Antartica. I'm sure he didn't bother to

bracket. He can always drop back next time he transits the south

pole and retake the shots.

I guess if one has film plane metering one can suddenly have the capacity to: 1)perfectly discern and accurately measure the brightest and darkest areas of the scene, 2)be able to previsualize the results of bracketing through being blessed with this knowledge, and 3)choose the correct exposure and take only one exposure. Wow!

My personal favorite Sinar book content was the discussion about why it is important to use large format: because of the embarassment that results when the pro photographer shows up for a job with *Gasp* the same 35mm equipment that is owned by the client! You must own impressive tools to maintain your professional composure now that any old shmoe can purchase professional level SLRs.

Overall, the Sinar books are slick and have some good information, and the editorial content does provide some amusement.

I'll bracket color slide film (any format) sometimes when using available light, since a 1/3-stop difference can change the saturation in a very noticable way, and my old LF shutters aren't reliable enough to trust to that level of precision, and it can be tricky to decide exactly where to place the values on the scene.

Indoors with strobes, though, I don't need to bracket, and I rarely bracket negative film.

Of course I'm studying everything Mr. Luong has on his site. In fact I've printed much of it out and compiled a notebook which I carry around with me to read while waiting ... for the wife to spend more of my money ...or, doctors office etc.

(just for my personal use .... no intent to infringe copyright here)

Mr. Luong advises to shoot one identical image as a backup and instead of bracketing .... when upon developing the first shot it proves to be under/over exposed .... pushing or pulling the reserved second shot to get the right development. Can this work for color tranny work?

I would assume then, that Sinar will offer a refund equal to the cost of the whole shoot if you follow their advice and it doesn't work out. Hmm, I wonder why not?

Look, anyone who shoots transpaprency film without bracketing in a non repeatable situation (like a copy job) is a moron. This advice is right up there with the 35 mm shooter who knows that HE can hand hold his camera down to 1/15 of second. There are NO contests for how slow you can handhold your camera or how little film it takes you to get a good exposure. Only good images count.

My concern about E6 is so finicky that it may well be the PROCESS as much as the exposure that causes variation in the results. In any case it seems to me that the film is the cheapest part of this whole game.

Scott,

Mr. Luong gives very good advice. I routinely expose two sheets and sometimes three of the same image at the same exposure. It costs me $2.20/sheet for film processing. It costs me $30.00 for a 4x5 dupe.

I often have the same image out to multiple buyers concurrently.

If I don't have a $2.20 version to send, I have to spend the extra money for a dupe.

Publishers will keep your submitted work until the magazine is printed, which may average three or four months.

I have a friend who leads photo tours and shoots six images of each

scene at the same exposure.

Shoot a lot, film is cheap.

A truly experienced photographer should know his/her tools well enough to make proper exposures, therefore bracketing is a crutch to those not in command of the process. For those new to photography, such as you, it can help in the learning process as long as they keep notes to track what is going on exposurewise. By the way, from reading your various responses to others here you seem rather immature. Why do you give others grief and piss people off just because they may not agree with you or make an joking comment about something you may say? If you can't be positive don't say anything, please.

"A truly experienced photographer should know his/her tools well enough to make proper exposures, therefore bracketing is a crutch to those not in command of the process. For those new to photography, such as you, it can help in the learning process as long as they keep notes to track what is going on exposurewise. By the way, from reading your various responses to others here you seem rather immature. Why do you give others grief and piss people off just because they may not agree with you or make an joking comment about something you may say? If you can't be positive don't say anything, please."

- And you are referring to which message?