Price History, Nikon 500mm/f4 P (manual focus)

robert_n_moz

<p>Michael, you are too young to remember those historical prices. The 500mm/f4 P went up quite a bit around the mid 1990's. Back then a friend of mine also bought one like a year or two after me, and he paid around $3500 to $3600. However, the AF-I version was already out in 1993 and later the AF-S in 1996. Therefore, while the 500mm/f4 P eventually went over $4000, on paper, the focus had already been shifted to the AF versions.</p>

<p>I sold my 500mm/f4 P in 1998 for something like $3300 when I bought the AF-S, which I still own today. Therefore, I essentially sold my 500mm/f4 P for about the same price I had bought it 6 years earlier. I kept that lens really well and it was in excellent condition.</p>

<p>In 2001, Nikon came up with the 500mm/f4 AF-S II version, with only minor changes (a lighter barrel with more carbon fiber, focuses a bit closer). However, the original AF-S version one was the "old version" and B&H was fire saling their remaining stock around $5000, for a new AF-S. Therefore, nobody with the right mind would pay $5000 for the AI-P version in 2002.</p>

<p>P.S. Both my friend and I bought those lenses from Adorama, USA version.</p>

<p>Michael, age is all relative.</p>

<p>Yesterday, I was talking to my 10-year-old god daughter. (She was born in, of course, 2003.) I mentioned that around 1999, I was in New York and saw a flat-screen TV for the first time at J&R. They were going for $10000 (actually $9999) then. A similar flat-screen TV with updated technology is probably around $500 today. She couldn't believe it.</p>

<p>Aren't you glad that lenses don't depreciate that quickly?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Aren't you glad that lenses don't depreciate that quickly?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But it would mean I could afford a 500mm f4 AF-S non-VR....I wouldn't mind the depreciation as I wouldn't ever want to sell it!</p>

<p>Even the cheapest well used P version is ~£1250 or around $1800....on UK eBay.</p>

<p>Thank you everybody.<br>

I wanted to have some background info on this gem in support of my insurance claim after I damaged my own copy.<br>

Nikon (Canada) said they don't have the parts anymore for repair (although, at first, the technical rep mentionned that parts may be rebuilt within a six to eight week delay). And, for the same reason (unable to repair), they don't want to trade it in, even against a newer model.<br>

Not providing parts for a professionnal class lens that was discontinued in 2005 only is in my opinion a shame.<br>

Rob (your loyal Nikonist, devasted and quite disappointed)</p>

<p>The rule of thumb is that Nikon would supply spare parts for 10 years after an item is discontinued, but exactly which parts are available also depends on demand. There is no guarantee.</p>

<p>Having AF is critical for a 500mm/f4 lens. That was why I upgraded back in 1998. Nikon added the AF-I version in 1993, AF-S in 1996/1997 and AF-S II in 2001/2002. By then, most people have moved into AF versions.</p>

<p>Concerning parts, maybe you can check with Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area to see whether they have the part you need. They have connections to Asia and may be able to help you. I suppose it doesn't hurt to check with them.</p>

<p>Thank you very much Shun, I'll definitely investigate the Chicago avenue...<br>

Nikon Canada didn't even ask for the specific parts that were damaged and simply closed the door to any repair possibility.<br>

I'll wait for the insurance proposition and, who knows, maybe I'll consider upgrading to an autofocus model. I find the build quality of the first AFS version very reassuring.<br>

I sometimes shoot with a friend fully equipped with the latest versions of Nikon lenses and bodies, and we both find the 500-P optically outstanding.</p>

<p>Back in 1997, I went to Africa for the first time and took the 500mm/f4 P with me, along with F4 and N8008 bodies. It didn't take long before I realized that I could not maintain manual focus on a group of slow-walking lion cubs. Birds in flight was, of course, out of the question. That was when I finally made up my mind to upgrade, which happened in the following year. Today I still own that first-generation 500mm/f4 AF-S, and I manage to capture plenty of birds in flight images with it along with the D800E and D7100. Prior to those bodies, my experience is that even the D3 and D3s don't have sufficient AF capability to drive that lens (500mm/f4 AF-S) for birds in flight.</p>

<p>If you can get insurance to cover it, maybe this is your opportunity to upgrade to AF. Your old lens can always be used as parts, or maybe you can find parts from other 500mm/f4 P that are beyond repair for other reasons.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“Today I still own that first-generation 500mm/f4 AF-S...”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Does Nikon still have parts to repair this lens?<br>

I'm afraid such an upgrade, with its AF motorized design, would reveal quite costly in case of damage, especially since it would be out of warranty...</p>

<p>I have no idea whether Nikon still has parts for the old AF-S lenses. In 1998 I also bought the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S and I still own (and use) both that 500 and 300 today. There is no sign that I need any repair so far; knock on wood.</p>

<p>The AF-S II version of those lenses are very similar to version 1, but they can focus a little closer and Nikon uses more carbon fiber on the barrels of the II version so that they are a bit lighter. Perhaps they share the same AF motor also but I am not 100% sure. That is the one part that may eventually fail.</p>

<p>In 2007 Nikon introduced the AF-S VR version of those long teles, along with the D3 and D300 (all announced on 23rd August, 2007). In other words, the pre-VR versions have been discontinued for about 6 years. You can draw your own conclusion from there.</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Robert, I recently stumbled across a page with lots of info on rebuilding the Nikon 500 mm F4P. Included was a list of parts suppliers. You also may want to look into the Modified TC-16a as it enables some AF to that lens given you are using a compatible body. <br>

Here are the links, and best of luck.<br>

Rebuild :<br>

http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2010/03/rebuilding-and-getting-nikon-parts.html</p>

<p>TC-16a Mod : </p>

<p>http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/</p>

<p> </p>