Aspect Ratios

Hello I am due for an upgrade on my phone. One of the things I love about my camera phone is the squarer dimensions pictures of the phone as compared to my SLR. I have an HTC titan the resolution of the files are 3264 x2448 pixel. I want to retain that aspect ratio on my next phone. Do all camera phone shoot with the same aspect ratio. I am looking at the Sony Xperia T will this have the same aspect ratio ? The spec on the web says it 4128x3096 pixels ? Is this the same aspect ratio ?

<p>The vast majority of camera phones, and compact cameras, use 4:3 aspect ratios. Some also allow you to crop the result. A few weird cases (such as the Nokia 808 PureView) support different aspect ratios by using different bits of the sensor rather than just cropping (a trick also used by some larger cameras like the Panasonic DMC-GH1), but they still offer 4:3. A 4:3 aspect ratio, being squarer, makes use of more of the image circle of the lens; since camera phone sensors, and compact cameras, tend to have relatively cheap sensors, fitting the sensor to the lens is a good use of money. One could argue that, in larger formats, more rectangular aspect ratios make more sense (most images are cropped to be rectangular and you waste fewer pixels if the sensor was already that shape) - but since some very expensive medium format digital cameras are also 4:3, history probably has more of an influence than logic.<br />

<br />

But don't be afraid to crop your image to suit the scene. I try (and occasionally remember) to shoot a little wider than I'd normally like so that I can crop the image to the aspect ratio that suits it afterwards. YMMV.</p>

<p>The SLR format comes from its origins when a pair of 35mm [ silent] movie frames where joined together for still use amd popularised by the 'postcard' print size ... which is the egg and which the chicken I have no idea :-)<br>

I find most subjects 'seem' to suit themselves for the format of the camera I am using at the time be it 3:2, 5:4, 4:3 or square and I try to shoot using all the film/sensor for best IQ. So much easier in these days of zooms or multiple lens options.</p>