RB67 OR PENTAX 67

dave_petley2

<p>Depends on your shooting style and choice of subject (s). I chose an RB67 Pro-S because of;</p>

<p>1) superb quality (optically and mechanical reliability)<br>

2) versatility/modularity I can change lenses, change backs MID-ROLL and use an entirely different film <br>

3) the <strong><em>R</em></strong>evolving <em><strong>B</strong></em>ack - I can shoot landcape OR portrait and not move the entire camera<br>

4) spare components are readily available<br>

5) reasonably inexpensive<br>

6) I like the way the RB67 Pro-S handles and how I slow down using it</p>

<p>So, these are the primary reasons I chose the RB67. YMMV.</p>

<p>Neither is exactly petite, though their weight and clumsiness is often exaggerated. Still, they're big-assed cameras relative to almost anything short of a 4x5. Still, I found the Mamiya RB 67 Pro S to be fast-handling with a little practice.</p>

<p>The Mamiya RB's leaf shutter lenses synch at any speed, though the P67's relatively slow synch speed--thanks to its focal plane shutter--isn't an issue with studio lighting. Fill flash is another matter where the P67 stumbles without a pricey leaf shutter lens.</p>

<p>The Mamiya RB can focus quite closely without extension tubes or macro lenses.</p>

<p>You'll need a decent handheld meter since neither camera system has an especially accurate metered finder.</p>

<p>I've owned and loved both systems but found the Mamiya RB67 to be more versatile for the reasons mentioned above.</p>

<p>With prices where they are now, I'd get the newest, cleanest body, lenses, and film backs you can afford. While they look affordable, keep in mind that expert repairs aren't on these cameras, which is why I've bought NOS whenever I could over the last 4-5 years. Remember that many of these were used heavily and often look it. Don't buy the malarkey about "bullet-proof" and "built-to-last" because, despite their reputations, these camera do break and are often sold with issues.</p>

<p>I had Pentax 645N, Contax 645, Rolleiflex 2.8e before getting into 67 format I still have Rollei btw. All of these cameras has one of kind lens. Not just sharp, all of them are sharp enough, but its has something above. I never had P67, but I had RZ67proII. From my experience with RZ67's lens I can say that there is nothing there except crazy sharpness. I could be wrong, but nowdays I would go for camera that has THE lens rather than the one with interchangeable backs and leaf shutter (hassy will go too, just in case). Think about that. I'd rent Pentax67 with 105mm /f2.4 lens.</p>

<p>I used to have a Pentax 67 twenty-thirty years ago, now I have a RZ. Obviously I cannot remember the 67 right enough to be compared to the RZ, but I still keep some ideas on mind.<br /> <br /> I used to use the 67 handheld, I think it "handles" better than the RZ. The RZ is a tripod camera. If you want sharp pics you must use either of them on a tripod, but the 67 is maybe a more ergonomical design, like any 35mm SLR focal plane shutter camera. Lenses are easier to change, faster to focus via helicoid, its "normal" viewfinder is a pentaprism (not as obtrusive like the ones on the RB/RZ), film loading are easier and faster... I cannot say about lens quality, I used a three lens setup plus a fish eye. The pics I keep from this camera look right, my "standards" have changed since then.<br /> <br /> Now, I`m satisfied with the RZ (waist level viewfinder, I never use it without a tripod), I use three backs, the revolving thing is great (and unavoidable for such 6x7 camera), bellows focus (with its pros and cons), leaf shutter, lenses are great, etc. etc... but it is a very different beast; I also think you need to check them by yourself to know which one suit you better.<br /> For hand held shooting I think I`d take a Pentax, for all the rest I think I prefer the Mamiya.</p>

<p>The Pentax is better if you're wanting a handheld camera. The RB/RZ system is a much better tripod based camera (the focal plane shutter on the Pentax kicks hard and induces a lot of shake into any tripod shots). A lot of the Pentax wide angles have severe CA on the edges (I don't know about the Mamiya lenses). If I were doing mostly studio work I'd get the RB/RZ.</p>

<p>Certainly more info would help, but I concur that if for field work, and flash sync not an issue, the Pentax 67II hands down for handling. Picked lenses in the SMC 67 designation are among the best. The Pentax 67II with AE meter is an amazing way to nail the exposure with confidence. Exposure lock, exposure compensation dial location, 3rd stop shutter speeds on Auto, MLU, bright screen, and not least reliability. I've used mine for 14 years now, and have never had a failure in the field, other than my own lapses of stupidity. Lenses change out quickly, and for size, and proportion, the 67II is easier to pack, and unpack. A sturdy tripod, like the one I use the Gitzo Studex all metal, with an Arca Swiss Monoball makes whatever issues of shake a total non-issue, but for insurance I hang the backpack strap around the head below the quick release plate for peace of mind. The pack has to go somewhere, I prefer not to set it on the ground.</p>

<p>There is no question about RB lens quality being good but the recent Pentax 67 lenses are really nice as well ( 55mm, 75AL, 55-100 zoom etc.). I don't feel that there is enough difference between the two systems optically to make that a sticking point. I have been using the P67 system for 25 years now and rarely have I had issues with shutter vib. Granted, you can't use the 300mm Takumar at 1/15 sec on a tripod and expect sharpness. There is some truth to the shutter vib problem with the Pentax but it has become a bit overblown. </p>

<p>Contrary to what one would think, the RB67 mirror system is highly damped, more than the Hasselblad and highly probably more than the Pentax 6x7 (original model). That's why -as a downside- there is so much shutter lag.<br>

<br />So for handheld shooting at low speeds the RB67 does it; as long as you have strong arms of course.</p>