Disposable lithium batteries

jimlarson

<p>I recently purchased a new Sony flash for my NEX 6 and noticed that disposable lithium AAA batteries were not recommended. Regular alkaline batteries do not last and I wanted to try Energizer lithium AAA as I have heard they last a good bit longer. Is it that they get too hot? I don't want to fry the flash, but I would rather not have to change batteries all the time either. Has anyone used them in a Sony flash? I have the new HVL-F20M model.</p>

<p>Lith. batteries can deliver a lot of power quickly. The strobe might not be able to handle it or more likely, the user would fry the strobe by putting a lot of flashes out w/o letting the strobe cool down.</p>

<p>You might want to look at the Sanyo Eneloop batteries avail in AA and AAA</p>

<p>I've been using Energizer Lithium AAs in my SB-600 (Nikon) flashes, but I'll admit I've not stressed them much. Rechargables <i>have</i> got very warm in those flashes before. I'm generally a believer in these batteries, not just because of the capacity but also because they're so much lighter than Alkaline batteries (especially in my F5 or Pentax 645, which use lots) - but now you mention it, I'm a little worried about the fire risk...<br />

<br />

I'd not be too scared if it's a flash or two every couple of minutes. If you're shooting weddings, maybe it's a worry. Or maybe I've just been lucky.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response guys. I haven't had good luck with rechargeable batteries but it has also been years since I've used them. That's just another reminder of how old I'm getting! I'm sure they are better now, so I might give those Sanyo's a try.</p>

<p>1. If you go for Eneloops or Imedions, make sure you go for the more modern 'lower self-discharge" ones. They'll stay nearly fully charged for months sitting. The older varaint would self-discharge maybe 20%+ in a few weeks. They seem to have a slightly lower mAHr rating, but are still charged when you reach for them.</p>

<p>2. Spring for a more pricey charger that individually monitors each cell (in a 4 unit or 8 unit charger) and charges each cell to full potential. The cheapo blister packed NiMH chargers only charge cells as two units in series. As the cells are never identical, the one that reaches full charge first stops the process, leaving the other cell not fully charged. As an example of the many better types available -<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=pd_cp_e_0">http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=pd_cp_e_0</a></p>

<p>I've used them for 3 years in my Nikon strobes.</p>

<p>Jim M</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rechargeable batteries have much higher capacity than a few years (e.g., 5) ago, comparable to AA batteries. If you don't want to charge your batteries at least once a week, then Eneloop batteries hold their charge for a very long time, but have less capacity than normal rechargeables.</p>

<p>In either case, the key to full capacity and long life is a sophisticated charger that charges each battery separately, without overheating the battery (which drastically shortens its life). Most chargers work in pairs of batteries, so the weaker battery never receives a full charge. Since only half your batteries get charged, you only get about half the use in your flash unit or camera.</p>

<p>I recommend a Maha charger, which holds 8 batteries, and has a slow charge or regeneration cycle in addition to a normal (1 hour) charge. An LED screen shows the status of each battery. You can leave them in the charger indefinitely - the trickle charge won't hurt them.</p>