Have I ruined my 4x5 film?

alex_smith21

<p>I recently inherited a view camera, and having no prior experience with such a camera or with film of any kind, I've been reading up on it and watching tutorials online. I bought a box of Velvia 100F sheet film on the recommendation of the person who gave me the camera, and (before I knew better) I tore open the box, unwrapped the foil, and opened up the white cardboard folder to look at the film. All in a brightly lit room. Thereby probably ruining all 10 of the sheets inside.<br>

However, and please forgive me if this is a stupid question, there are 10 more sheets still in their sealed, foil packet that I haven't touched, but because the box of film has been opened in a lit room, are the 10 still-sealed sheets of film ruined too? I shouldn't think they would be, but I know now how paramount it is to keep film well away from light until you take the actual picture, so I'm very consciously trying to avoid any more mistakes. Also, I know it's recommended that you store the film in a refrigerator, which I have done, but I've taken the box out several times and put it back in (since buying it 2 days ago). So it gets cold, then I take it out for a while and it warms up a little, then put it back in and it gets cold again, etc etc. Will this cycle of shifting temperatures have an adverse effect? I plan on using it for the first time tomorrow. <br>

Thanks and please forgive my ignorance as a film newcomer ;)</p>

You actually did yourself a favor. You will need a couple of sheets of film to practice loading the film holders (you do have film holders,

right?), first with the lights on and then in the dark. You will also need a sheet to show your digital photography friends how HUGE the

film is and how that translates into a billion gazillion megapixels. The sealed film should be fine. I don't know about the temperature

changes, but right now you are learning the mechanics of LF photography and are probably not ready to create your masterpiece.

Welcome to the club!

<p>No problems w/ putting the film in and out of the fridge, but leave it out of the fridge for an hour or so before you load it to avoid possible condensation. You will need a film change bag, or a COMPLETELY dark area to load the film holders. Don't pull the dark slides out until you are ready to expose the shot, then remember to slide the slide back in before removing the film holder from the camera. Don't open it again until it is developed. No peeking!</p>

<p>As said above, should be no problem with the film in the foil envelope. I practised in a lit room first with everything set out in front of me ; box of film, slides; scissors for cutting the foil open. Try rehearsing with the light on and your eyes closed first, obviously not actually cutting the foil envelope and exposing the sheets! I found the two trickiest bits were :<br /> 1) keeping track of ten sheets and slides in the dark - so orderliness is required ; In future you will also have the loaded and exposed slides ready for unloading and sheets from exposed slides to add into that mix and complicate it further.<br /> For future reference : Once you have taken your exposures and are reeady to unload themin the darkroom the exposed sheets just go into the foil envelope which in turn goes into the film box which gets the cardboard cover, then the box top.<br /> <br /> 2) sliding the unexposed sheets into the slides in the dark. Practice in the light with a sacrificed sheet.<br /> As Steve says, COMPLETELY dark. Wait a few minutes in the dark until your eyes become accustomed when you may see light leaks which can often be blocked with towels etc.<br /> Best of luck. I found LF great fun and very educative.</p>

<p>Get a changing bag. Much more reliably light-tight than any improvised darkroom. A domestic room can be made light-tight enough for printing - with a bit of effort, but not for handling film. Remember you need to <em>unload </em>the film and transfer it into its original box in absolute darkness too! In order to take it, or send it to be processed.</p>