Shooting my first wedding

logannhatfield

<p>Hello,<br>

Well, everyone has to start wedding photography somewhere... Right? I'm photographing my first wedding on July 27th. My client is aware I'm not a pro-wedding photographer, but the Bride and her Fiancé saw samples of my previous work, and liked what they saw. I feel confident I can handle the event, but I'm looking for any tips that you guys think can ultimately benefit me, and my clients.<br>

Thanks for your time. </p>

<p>The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not set your expectations, or your client's expectations, too high. You should expect to do a barely passable job of it, and your client should expect the same.</p>

<p>I'm a little concerned that a)<em> "...saw samples of my previous work, and liked what they saw" </em>and b) <em>"I'm photographing my first wedding on July 27th". </em>How, exactly, have they seen previous wedding work if you've not shot a wedding before? The answer is that they've seen work you've done in a non-wedding setting. The implication, and expectation <em>that you gave them</em>, is that you'll be capable of reproducing that quality of work. This is an ill advised impression to give. You are setting yourself and your client up for disappointment by doing so. Sometimes weddings go smoothly, often they do not. At this point, you don't know how to act, or react. Expecting to be able to replicate high quality controlled work your first go 'round is farcical at best. You need to <em>tell them</em> that.</p>

<p>Other than that prepare prepare prepare, and carry backup gear, and know how to use all your equipment properly, and how to TS it in a pinch. Take every opportunity to grab every single shot you can. Tell the client to expect you to do a cruddy job, compared to a 'professional standard', and compared to competitors.</p>

<p>I'd have to politely disagree with Marcus.</p>

<p>For God's sake to not undermine either the client's or your own confidence by telling them you will do a "cruddy job". Don't let yourself off the hook by lowering expectations. In fact, I suggest that you raise them for yourself ... reach for the stars.</p>

<p>The best single piece of advice I can share with you is to get an itinerary from the Bride. Study it carefully and draw a timeline for each portion. It'll reveal where the client may be too ambitious for the photography needs in any given time frame. Discuss expectations with the Bride. Pay special attention to the time allocated for Bridal Party and family group photos ... and suggest to the Bride that she assign an authoritative "wrangler" to gather any family groups for photos.</p>

<p>Keep that itinerary with you so IF things run late you can determine what may have to be skipped or done later during the reception. Discuss that possibility with the client so it isn't a surprise on the wedding day. BTW, wear a watch!</p>

<p>IF you miss an important shot ... the ceremony first kiss shot for example, do NOT feel shy about quickly re-staging it afterwards. It is not uncommon to do this, especially when you first start out.</p>

<p>Swap batteries between segments ... camera and flash.</p>

<p>Do not overshoot the media card ... change it if it gets 2/3s full.</p>

<p>Slow down when dealing with media cards ... make sure the buffer is cleared and the camera is then off before swapping for a new one. Place the used one separately from the unused ones and turn it upside down so you know which is which. Sound's remedial, but in the heat of shooting it's easy to get confused and mixed up.</p>

<p>IF you get into a "brain stall, blank mind" situation, put the camera on Program until you recover. I tell my assistants that "P" stands for "Panic" ... LOL! </p>

<p>Prep, double and triple check everything.</p>

<p>Be aware that nerves will be wrung out just before, but will steady up once you get going.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Gosh, with seven days to go and not knowing much about you or the ceremony, it's hard to give advice. But here's a shot at it; it may get wordy.</p>

<p>I guess I'd say, first and foremost, treat the wedding as an event to be documented in the most plain and reliable manner, not as an artistic exercise. Don't try to get too fancy, reserve your brain power to keep track of what's going on, what's coming next, and where you need to be.</p>

<p>If it's a Church ceremony, introduce yourself to the officiator ahead of time, and ask about their guidelines for you, during the ceremony - where can you shoot from, is flash, ok, etc.</p>

<p>If there will be group photos, make sure you know what sets they are expecting, and write them down. (The act of writing helps you remember them better.) Figure out where you will shoot these and communicate with the bride. Ask for a member of the wedding party to assist you in collecting the people, as needed. When you are organizing the groups, be in charge. Talk louder and slower than you normally do, and be clear when you are ready to shoot, and where they should look. Be respectful, saying "please" and "thank you" often. Make sure everyone's face can be seen, and try to help everyone look good. People often don't know how to stand, so it may help to ask the gentlemen to put "heels together," and hands at their sides. Bridesmaids should hold bouquets in a similar manner; it may help if YOU demonstrate with an exaggerated motion, etc. After shooting, tell them that was great, thank you, and now can we have the such and such group up here for the next shot. If certain people are missing, make a mental note (your assistant in the wedding party can help remember); you can get the missing shots at the reception.</p>

<p>If you don't know your camera gear like the back of your hand, make a "cheat sheet" on the settings you want. Periodically go over this to make sure the settings are still right, and periodically review images to make sure they are coming out ok - properly focused, not blurred, and exposure is ok. You might want to mentally go through basic troubleshooting plans ahead of time. For example, if the flash quits firing, what do you do (check the "ready light," perhaps the power switch, the sync cable or hot shoe connection, or batteries dying, etc.) If you can't solve it quickly, switch to your backup camera and flash. Or just the flash, or whatever, but have a plan. Some people find that their brain tends to freeze up in these situations, so it helps to have a "cheat sheet" you can refer to. I would always have an equipment checklist ahead of time with all the critical items; you don't want to arrive at the wedding to realize you left your memory cards on your kitchen table. Still, you may want to have a friend on standby who you can call in case your car won't start, or one of your heels breaks off, or whatever. You get the idea - backup plans are good.</p>

<p>I won't cover the reception in detail, but the same things apply. Introduce yourself to the bandleader or DJ if they have one. They will be the ones to announce tossing the garter and bouquet, or whatever might be going on, so it's good to be on the same page with them. And keep in touch with the bride, who I always considered to be the boss. I haven't shot a wedding for quite a lot of years now, but in the hundred or so I did, I always acted as a go-between with the bride, the band leader/DJ and the caterer, so that everything worked out.</p>

<p>I understand that in recent years a wedding planner often handles these things, if so, that may be your go-to person. If anyone who currently shoots has different advice, I expect they probably have better info than I, so you ought to listen to them. Also, my experience has been mostly Lutheran or Catholic style weddings; I appreciate that other denominations may be completely different.</p>

<p>Hope it goes well. You're going to probably get a lot of "advice" berating you for jumping in like this, but I don't think that's useful at this point. So good luck.</p>

<p>ps: Agree with Marc.</p>

Logann Hatfield wrote "I feel CONFIDENT I can handle the event."

I'm not happy with the wording "Confident." Well it's just a word, so I won't go into great details. Point taken here is you may feel as though you can take some very outstanding photos, perhaps better then the seasoned pro's of 20, 30, and even 40 years that are on this site. However the actual people, mainly the bride, the groom, the wedding party, and the parents. Almost always all of my weddings run late. Until the reception starts, I'm never too confident. I need to get these shots.

There are soo many posts here about first weddings, perhaps 5000 past posts. There's even 2 or 3 just under your post. Trust me here, read a lot of them, because I don't think you could ever get through 1/2 of them. Do a search and do your homework.

Read past posts below about what gear you want to bring to the wedding. As usual I like Marc's advice, Bill's advice about introducing yourself to the person running around that looks as though she owns the place, asking for restrictions and liberties where you can be, photo's after the wedding are very important. Most of the time the magic numbers are 20 to 30 minutes in which you need to blast off around 100 shots.

The night before, set out all of your gear. Everything from a tiny pen to your largest lens. Make a list. Always put the list in your case for the next wedding. Nothing could be worse then forgetting extra memory cards, batteries, you get the idea. Set your camera to RAW so that you have a lot of room to fix and alter images, such as taking some images and making them into B&W. (Black and white) Color correcting; turning a brides tan dress back to white. That kind of professional adjustments. Remember you can post pictures here that are great or poor and ask for help with correcting the poor ones.

The first available moment you get take pictures (pics) of the young kids, the flower girl for example. By the reception time they will be a total mess if they are under 6 or so. Do the whole wedding party and the parents first, the large groups such as people from out of state annd even out of the country, don't forget about the grandparents. As you get through the groups end with just the bride and the groom. This is their moment now and for you to take some amazing photo's.

My brain is usually flying in a million directions trying to get all of these shots done in 20 minutes, so make a list of the standard shots, the special requested shots, and finally the shots of the bride, full length and close up, same with the groom and then the romantics of them together. This is kind of when you need to gear yourself down from the hyper time. A time to somewhat relax. Being hyper can pass on to the couple. Romantics need to be kind of fun and relaxing or they may look too staged and unnatural. These are really a blast to take. Perhaps the best shots of there memories of the 2 of them.

OK make sure you tall the bride and the groom and your runner as Marc suggested that they MUST allow 1 hour for photo's and the reception. Guests can show up early, have drinks and snacks, like cheese and crackers, until the Grand Entrance.

Well you can perhaps see why I am a bit on edge about the word "Confident ." You have time and people to deal with, the photo's are the easier part.

At the reception the first free minute you have get a shot of the cake. Why you may ask? Even in air conditioned rooms I've seen cakes crack, slide, and even fall apart during the event. The bride may be upset, however you will make her very happy knowing that you photographed the cake before it hit the floor!

Perhaps 3 other suggestions. Most likely you will be taking photos outside. If you don't have one get a throw away ice chest full of ice and around 20 bottles of water. Also carry with you one of those small sewing kits. At least once a year someones strap breaks, a button on a tux falls off, well you will be the hero. (Put these on that list of things to always have.) Bandages for cuts. Or to put accross a kids mouth to quiet him down, yes a joke!!! As far as the water goes, I did have one bride pass out many years ago from the California heat and drinking before the wedding.

If you get these shots and the requested shots from the B&G and their parents you did your job well. At the reception ask the parents and the couple if they want any photos such as long time friendships, school mates, anything they want. Don't get too formal here unless they want a formal shot, just a lot of fun shots. PJ style.

Ask the B&G if you can grab a bite to eat, when you do the contract, not at the time of the reception. They have enough to worry about.

My main contact for any questions is the maid of honor. This includes getting your check at the end of the night. Don't bother the bride with questions.

Make sure you have a decent flash and understand how to use it anywhere from -2 stops very low fill, up to Zero for now

which is full exposure. Practice in and out in the sun and in the shade and in the dark. Enjoy your wedding.

Yes, and also, bring a tripod for some of the formals and family groups, check in the viewfinder for what is in the background around them and over their heads, and that the verticals are level.

<p>Just being a beginner now, but having done several weddings, now, from my own experience, I think Marc's and Bernardo's advice really makes good sense and is really useful. Its good to know what to expect in the ceremony and know the "milestones" that happen at most wedding in some form, ring exchange, the kiss, throwing the brides bouquet, the garter toss if they do that, toast, cake, first dance, if just depends what they have planned and as Marc said its great if you can get the schedule but some things you can come back to as well and re-stage. Also, I've found one of the most critical useful things, is someone who knows the families and guests and can gather the groupings for you, really a huge help and its something I try to insist on if the couple says they want group shots. Lastly as all the other things, the battery thing is important, and I found when using my digital camera, that renting or buying a small power pack really helps to maintain more consistent results when having to rely on a lot of flash fill. Just a thought. I've been using a Quantum and it really helps. Good luck, there's no reason you can't do a good job if you can shoot, and have half-a-clue about the schedule. I'm assuming you have adequate equipment and a back-up body as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For God's sake to not undermine either the client's or your own confidence by telling them you will do a "cruddy job". Don't let yourself off the hook by lowering expectations. In fact, I suggest that you raise them for yourself ... reach for the stars.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This OP is not a pro. He is someone who has <em>never shot a wedding before</em>. How do we know how well they are going to do. <em>If</em> the client has been made aware that the OP is a first timer, have they been advised of the implications of that?<br>

The OP's work <em>will</em> be cruddy, compared to a good pro. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, just that as long as the client doesn't expect the moon and stars, their next phone call won't be to their attorney, because, depending on how the OP portrayed himself in the client meeting, he could be on the hook for negligence <em>and</em> fraud. From his tone, I suspect that that he chose to emphasis his eye, and artistic style over the fact that he's <em>never shot a wedding before...!</em></p>

<p>That's dangerous ground. His abundance of confidence is more worrying than anything else, and alludes to how he'll shoot, and how careful he'll be when packing his bag the night before.<em><br /></em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm shooting with a GE x400, the wedding is taking place in a lodge with many windows, later in the afternoon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There will likely be specific technical challenges, using that camera, for those tasks in that shooting scenario.<br />Specifically addressing those technical challenges:<br />Unless you are otherwise confident in your skills to extract the limits of performance of that camera, when shooting under the pressure of time, I suggest you consider:</p>

<ul>

<li>the Camera “P Mode”;</li>

<li>manually adjust the SHUTTER SPEED as necessary such that it arrests SUBJECT MOVEMENT ;</li>

<li>metering in AiAE Mode;</li>

<li>white Balance in AUTO</li>

<li>ISO around 400;</li>

<li>picture quality on maximum;</li>

<li>try not to shoot backlit scenes;</li>

<li>try to shoot any outdoor work, in open shade;</li>

<li>when inside, try not to shoot into a bright window area and/or with a lot of bright window in shot.</li>

</ul>

<p>The batteries (likely) will drain quicker than what you are used to: have plenty and if you have an idea of how many shots you get from a set of 4 batteries – change the batteries at HALF that number of shots.</p>

<p>If you have to use the Flash as Key (and I expect you will inside at night), then try to shoot as much as possible in Landscape Orientation and not to close and not too far away from the Subjects – 8 to 12 ft (3 to 4 meters) would be a good guide.</p>

<p>If you are skilled at using your Flash as Fill - then do so: but if not, then I suggest that you don’t try it.</p>

<p>I am not sure how quick the continuous shoot mode is on that camera: nor with the buffer speed am I familiar – but - having used many similar Canon ‘Powershot’ cameras, I suggest that it would be a good idea for you to try to make each shot count as “The Shot”, rather than having the general idea of shooting in Continuous Mode, as you run the risk of the camera momentarily stalling, while it catches up with itself and you miss another shot, or two, or three.</p>

<p>I suggest you have a few practice runs anyway: and especially if you are un-familiar with those technical suggestions mentioned above.</p>

<p>***</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm looking for any tips that you guys think can ultimately benefit me, and my clients.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On another completely different matter:<br /><br />You mention the word "Client" - and by implication "persons who are paying me money for this task"- if this is the case then having one camera is not enough and moreover, whilst we will <strong><em>NOT</em></strong> have this thread turn into a "gearphobic" conversation - it should however be stated that: <br />- the camera you have is limited technically and<br />- it is neither the style nor type tool that mostly all Wedding and Portraiture Photographers would ever choose to use.<br />In this regard - if you have skills with and access to a DSLR and a Flash Unit - I think you would be better equipped with that than the camera which you intend to use. <br />WW</p>

I am only an amateur but have viewed your FB photography page (well the one using the name on your photos in the

gallery). There are a lot of over exposed pictures. If I were you I would follow the advice already given by the highly

experienced and helpful pro's. Try to hire or borrow a dslr with a constant aperture zoom, learn to meter correctly and do

some gigs as a second photographer.

If you do go ahead, best of luck.

Kind regards

Matt

<p>Logann said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm shooting with a GE x400 . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Note that the GE X400 has a reported 1/2.3" sensor (0.43"). Launched in 2011, it currently sells for $119 at Walmart. This is essentially a point-and-shoot with a 15x optical zoom, and a maximum (variable) aperture of f/3-f/5.2. Shutter lag is a reported 0.9 seconds, with a 0.5-second delay between frames. It takes 3.4 seconds from power-up to first frame [source: PC Magazine].</p>

<p>Kitwise, we're talking 14mp, JPEG only, built-in flash, relatively slow shot to shot time, AA batteries and the full range of exposure options. Dynamic range is likely to be limited, as is the ability to recover blown highlights and blocked shadows.</p>

<p>All the advice above about preparation is good. The best advice I can give is to keep it simple: P mode (you'll have no real depth of field control); as low an ISO setting as you can get away with in good light; try to avoid lots of shadows and highlights in the same image; best quality largest JPEG setting; look for details; use longer focal lengths for tight head shots (say 6-8 feet away for a head and shoulders)</p>

<p>Also do some research on basic posing techniques for individuals, the B&G and groups.</p>

<p>New poster here.<br>

Thank you all for such a great thread. I'm shooting my first 'formal' wedding in about a month (after two backyard, less formal, weddings), so I've become a bit more nervous as of late. But, I have to say, this thread has helped me organize a lot of my thoughts. Thanks. </p>

Logann, if the GE x400 is your only piece of equipment, what is your contingency plan for failure as a backup? My son

and his friends shot their friends wedding on point and shoots and iPhones and they pulled it off MUCH better than what I

would have expected. I even offered to go shoot some formals but, they just wanted to keep it very simple. But in your

case, one camera with such a slow lens, no RAW and no add on flash, from what I can see, is a very compromised

situation.

<p>I know my gear isn't ideal, nor is it a traditional choice. I also know that I'm not a terrible photographer.<br>

I have an itinerary of the day, someone to help me get people together in groups, the wedding is smaller and relaxed, and the bride has minimal concern about formal photos, and primarily wants candid's (besides photos of her with her parents and one wedding party group shot) that was her request. I've read so much about wedding photography, discussed my clients expectations, etc.<br>

I guess I'll post more after the wedding.</p>

<p>As long as you and the client both have a realistic expectation of what you can produce and are on the same page, just do the best you can. Not every bride prioritizes photography, which is sad to us but true. Just be careful to make sure that you're not presenting your work in a better light than what it's going to be - false impressions can lead to legal troubles. <br>

I'd say backup equipment is a major concern. On an assisting gig I once had my main body (almost brand new) go down and was glad I had a backup that day. Otherwise I would have made a fairly poor impression on the primary. I'd spend the money to rent a backup camera as renting equipment really isn't all that expensive these days and it will give you a lot of peace of mind. <br>

Everyone else has already given you a lot of good advice. Your timeline is going to be the biggest factor I'd say - things move quickly especially if you don't have a second helping you out. You're the only one there, so you have to be there when the moment is happening. <br>

Arrive early, scope out the area, introduce yourself to the other vendors, set a plan, and then manage your timeline. Communicate with your clients or the coordinator so you know exactly what is going to happen and when. <br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Logann, I assumed you had, at least, equipment that was capable of capturing decent imagery. While I'm sure the GE x400 is capable of capturing still pictures of still subjects in decent light, ironically, the Bride's lack of desire for formals is going to handicap you since that is the only type of photography that one would reasonably expect this camera to capture satisfactorily.</p>

<p>With solely that gear you will be nearly completely unable to capture the following:<br>

The procession. At most you will capture two or three images, which given the shutter lag and AF capability, is likely to be considerably out of focus. Is manual focus even an option?</p>

<p>Dances. Your only hope is that a) it's a slow dance (and the first is sometimes slow, depends on the couple), and b) there's enough light to not need your flash. Once the dance floor heats up, you might as well sit it out.</p>

<p>Anything late or after dark. Your front facing (only) flash is going to kill whats right in front of you, and not even touch everything thats not.</p>

<p>Bouquet /garter toss. Forgedabout it, again, speed is going to make anything you <em>can</em> get totally blurred.</p>

<p>Kids. Unless they are tied down, kids move to rapidly and unpredictably for this unit to capture in focus images.</p>

<p>Any and all 'natural looking' imagery. The slow lens, and low ISO capability is going to severly limit what light is usable. Since your only source of extra lighting is your OCflash, and that's a popup! (see above) </p>

<p>In a nutshell, my best advice is... sigh, hire somebody. Someone who has vastly more experience, and who's gear is light years ahead of yours, and is actually practically capable of capturing the imagery. <em>This</em> is what is in your client's best interests... As far as in your best interests? The same. I've shot scores and scores of weddings, and I would be very very very nervous trying what you are planning... I'm pretty sure I could do a half decent job w/ a $350 budget for equipment (an old rebel, a kit lens, a 50 and a flash), but trying the same with just a P&S... Recipe for disaster....</p>

<p>The first wedding is by far the most stressful project but it does get steadily easier thereafter. Here are some tips I’ve picked up for you.</p>

<ul>

<li>Compile a list of shots so that no relatives or friends are missed out of the important photos.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Assign a family member to play a coordinator to round everyone up and keep things moving a smoothly so that the couple can get back to their party stress-free.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Visit the wedding venue and look for great photo locations prior to the big day. This will make you aware of the available lighting and backdrops.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Be completely prepared with everything from cameras, memory cards to batteries. Arrive on the set-up and early and prepare for accidents or mistakes you can imagine.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Use only high-resolution mode for weddings.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Capture all the tiny details from the wedding bands, bridal shoes, and the cake to flowers. The couple will appreciate the little things that made their day special.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Take few shots of the couple in private to capture romance and intimacy.</li>

<li>Use diffused light to capture beautiful photos even in minimum light. It can help maximize the available light without the use of a flash, or a wide lens.</li>

</ul>

<p>Good Luck!</p>