Can I use the following lenses with my D60?

mark_stephan2

<p>Can I use the following Sigma lenses with my "NEW TO ME" Canon D60? Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM and 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM. I understand I can't use EF-S lenses and want to know if these are considered EF-S? The lens I'm most interested in is the 17-70 OS.<br>

</p>

"The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 was designed to be the ideal all-purpose lens for APS-C sized sensors" This is a direct quote from the Sigma site. Go there to get your questions answered. I have a d60 and it will not take this lens as far as I know.

<p>I'm pretty sure they will work because the lens mount on them is a standard EF lens mount.</p>

<p>I used to use a Tamron APS-C zoom on my D30. It had a small image circle but the lens mount was the same as other EF lenses. I believe Sigma does the same.</p>

<p>The only lenses considered to be EF-S are lenses made by Canon which bear the "EF-S" name. There are no 3rd party EF-S lens mount lenses, though there are many 3rd party lenses designed only for crop sensor cameras. However they all have EF series lens mounts, not EF-S, and all will fit on any Canon EOS body (with vignetting on full frame bodies).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>The D60 is over 10 years old, you might do better picking up...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you have been following Mark's recent posts, his cost for this body was $0. Nada. Zilch. Freebee. Kind of hard to do better than that. :-)</p>

<p>It may be 10 years old, but it still takes good 6MP photos and I would wager that at that price point (free) it's hard to beat. :D</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Can I use the following Sigma lenses with my "NEW TO ME" Canon D60? Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM and 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p><a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00br4j">I thought that I had answered that question on your previous thread</a>: this is not a nasty comment, but a concern that my text was not clear enough, previously?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>If you have to save up, a newer body might indeed be a better purchase than an image stabilized lens. You could shoot a newer camera at ISO 800, scale down the image to the same 6 megapixels as the D60, and it would surely produce as good or better images. What I'm saying is that if you use ISO 800 you can have a shutter speed three stops faster, which is better than any image stabilization.</p>

As one who bought a D60 for 2200 bucks in 2002 but who has not used it in years these are my thoughts. My daughter still uses the D60. She still gets reasonably good pictures with it. I won show awards with this camera when I first got it. I had already had a Canon 200 2.8L lens that I bought in 1997 and it helped to make quality images. I still use that lens. The D60 has significant shutter lag and startup time, It's LCD is very small and the camera has only a 6MP sensor. I made decent prints from it even with the 6MP sensor, however It's high noise performance is not very good as I remember. I got sharper pictures with a Canon XTi rebel, and even sharper pictures with the full frame 5D that made pictures at ISO 3200 effectively. I am using later model Canon and Sony bodies today which are even better. After reading the above the Sigma will work on it I believe. There are later and better used bodies out there for a couple of hundred dollars. I agree with Ed that faster shutter speeds are more effective than IS particularly in preventing camera shake distortion and capturing movement. My daughter though seems perfectly satisfied with the D60 and she uses it a lot. The build quality is very good as it has worked for eleven years without fault.

<p>Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. I've decided to get an EXC+ 20D for $139 from KEH. I'll have to wait awhile but when I purchase a lens it'll be the Canon 17-85 IS. I'm sticking to Canon for lenses because a EXC+ 17-85 lens is much cheaper than any of the Sigma's. I have a small budget and will try to stick to my limited resources.</p>