Fuji XP1; Which lens for Events-Wedding 18-55 or Primes?

I recently purchased an XP1 and got the kit 18-55 zoom. I want to use this for events and weddings. I also purchased

the 35mm 1.4.

I wsnt planning on getting the zoom initially but it was a good deal with the body and I know I can easily flip it on ebay

to reduce my cost on the body and buy another prime.

What are your thoughts about this zoom for weddings and events? I wish it were faster.

When I was shooting weddings a few years ago with a 5D my main lens was the Canon 24-70L. That lens got 99% of

the usage, but it was 2.8 constant which helped, and it was an L.

Just curious what some of you think.

Hard to compare this Fuji gear to full frame SLR gear, but from my experience so far - and this is only about image quality

and suitability for indoor use - the kit lens is capable of replacing a 17-55 2.8 crop frame lens. It really is that good. It does

have IS, which helps. Of course, you don't have the same handling speed or AF performance or flashes - I wouldn't want

it to be my primary kit if I were doing pro wedding work.

<p>The 18-55 should be fine as long as you are using DxO Optics with a matching module. The reason: lens-camera combinations which are fully supported by DxO will benefit from specific correction tools such as CA removal, distortion correction, sharpening etc. Also, it has pretty good NR which is applied before debayering (so they say).</p>

<p>Karim, DxO does not support the RAW files from a Fuji with their X-Trans sensors, plus all those "lens optimisation features", Adobe can do just as well. Plus, personally, I find it weird thinking that I need software to make a lens good - I have plenty lenses that are fine without specific software support.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and it was an L.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, you'll never find an L for the Fuji ;-)<br>

Kidding, but bear in mind it's just a Canon designation, it does not make it automatically better lenses, so you cannot really dismiss a Fuji lens because it doesn't have a red pinstripe on it. Plus, Fuji is quite capable of making lenses.<br>

So, why not try the Fuji lens a few times, alongside another camera to ensure you won't miss vital shots, during a wedding or event? See how it works out for you?</p>

I have the X-E1 and the 18-55 zoom as well as the 35 1.4. I have done comparison shots (two stops down from max aperture) with them both at the 35mm focal length (with the zoom) and found that the 35 is a bit sharper, yes. But the tradeoff there is the zoom has stabilization - it may not be as fast, but it's a bit more versatile. So what do you value more - speed or versatility? I did 13 x 19 prints, and since most wedding stuff isn't printed that large, I would say there is little to lose IQ-wise, with the zoom over the prime.

But I do love that 35mm 1.4!