Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG focus issue on D800E

lwg

<p>Well I'm not sure if the side AF points are working as well as the central one. I didn't think to check that when I was buying the lens. Images from my walk seem inconclusive on if there's an issue there. But the central point works quite well at all distances.<br>

A brief followup to my other post is <a href="http://www.trippingthroughthedark.com/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-update/">here</a>.</p>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well, I can't tell if it's my methods or what, but at distances greater than 10' my left and right AF points are off 90% of the time on a D800E. The center AF point works at all distances. All AF points work at distances of 7' or closer. Is it me or the lens? Will try to replicate with my D3s.</p>

<p>Ralph, that seems to be the case with my new lens as well, also on a D800E. Up close all the AF points work. At distance the side points don't reliably focus. But I've only done a few tests at lunch today to examine the issue, so I am not positive in my conclusion. I don't have another DSLR to test on.</p>

<p>I've had my 35mm for one day (have D800E). Focus problems for me also. Typical scenario, not bad at close, worse at distance. Using center point only. Seems a bit better with AF-C. Most often it front focuses. Can't calibrate for distance as it throws off close range. I'm skeptical the USB dock will fix anything. I appreciate this thread to learn from other experiences. Not sure if I will return it. Being so good optically makes it hard to send back. I must say my 85mm 1.8 is not perfect either, but much better. More testing tomorrow.<br>

DL</p>

<p>Well, here's some good news . . .</p>

<p><strong>DxO Optics Pro Elite 8</strong> now supports a <strong>lens/body-specific profile</strong> for the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A for the following Nikon bodies:</p>

<p>Nikon D4<br>

Nikon D3/D3s/D3x<br>

Nikon D600<br>

Nikon D700<br>

Nikon D800<br>

Nikon D800E</p>

<p>I was pretty sure they were probably working on this, and they were! [Many other bodies are likely also included.]</p>

<p>Okay. I've calmed down now. A -12 AF-fine tune <em>seems</em> to have corrected the problem with the Sigma on my D800E. Anyhow, the Sigma works perfectly on my D3s with <em>no</em> fine tune. Damned, finicky-as-all-hell D800E! Why do lenses which work perfectly on a D3s, fail to perform without adjustment on a D800E?</p>

<p>Sometimes I really wish I would've just bought a second D3s body instead (the ISO and WB buttons on each are in such wildly different places, it's sometimes difficult to use them in a two-body set-up).</p>

<p>L.G.:</p>

<p>I don't know what's going on with my D800E. All I know is that it's not focusing correctly at distances greater than 10 feet on my D800E. I need to test further, but I got so frustrated I just gave up (for now). I'll re-do my tests and report back here.</p>

<p>I was about to return the lens, then realized it works perfectly on my primary D3s body without any fine-tune necessary. I did just buy a second D3s the day after I posted that, and that body seems to require a +20 AF fine-tune--go figure. Other than that it seems to work fine on the second D3s. I'm sick of testing.</p>

<p>That's too bad. I think you should return the lens for a new copy. </p>

<p>I understand about being sick of testing. My new copy is working well on the D800E as long as I use the center AF points. I've decided to stop worrying and testing, since I have a solution that works. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to only use the center AF point, but in a way I am finding composition easier since I don't try to fit the subject onto one of the points. Still, I want to get the lens fixed. But I can live with it until Sigma gets their act together.</p>

<p>That's a good question. I'm holding onto mine mainly because I like the image quality and I can make it work. But maybe it's foolish to keep it when it may never work correctly with this camera. I guess I need to decide in the next two weeks.</p>

<p>I called up the Sigma service department again this morning. He said they were aware of the issue, but at this point they are not sure if the issue is in the camera or the lens. I'm not sure I understand this, but he said the issue is the side AF points aren't taking the slope into account when determining how far to set the focus. He explained it as not factoring in the hypotenuse of the triangle. I'm going to have to read up on how the AF sensors work.</p>

<p>Also, he said the first USB docks have gone out to the reviewers, so they should be shipping to the public soon (usually about a month after).</p>

<p>My take on all this:<br>

From my tests and suggested on multiple on-line forums, the camera is at least part of the problem. Seems to be common knowledge that fast wide angles have more trouble and my tests with 50mm and 85mm 1.8's confirm this. Wish I had the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 to confirm this. I would be happy if the Sigma was f/2 or f/2.8 and half the weight, but this is the best choice right now for me.<br>

I haven't paid attention to the off center focus points. I tested my camera when I first got it and they were fine, although they are not something I would routinely use, so have just done tests using the center point. In my situation AF-C delivers better results. Low light and especially low contrast scenes cause more problems. Yesterdays firmware update seems to have improved things a bit, but being so recent, is inconclusive.<br>

Fine tuning has some value, but not as consistent as one might hope. I'm using +5 due to front focusing, but there are times when it does not help and these are once again in low light/contrast situations.<br>

I've been on the fence as to returning, but am getting probably a 70-90% success rate depending upon conditions. My other lenses are not perfect either, getting about 95% approaching 100% in ideal conditions. I have decided to keep it and be aware of its and my cameras limitations. Image quality is great, a bit more CA than I was hoping for.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Sigma has now released the USB Dock for the new lenses. I preordered one from B&H, which should ship in about a month. Hopefully I can use this to fix the side AF points. But even if it doesn't work I'll live with only using the center point.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>LG I have the exact same problem! I just purchased my Sigma 35mm 1.4 art lens for my Nikon D800 and after doing multiple tests have found that the only reliable focal point is the center, all of my right focal points completely don't work they are off by up to 15 centimeters from what I can tell, depending on the distance. The problem I see is that this lens was not designed to work on the huge 36 mega pixel sensor on the D800-800E, Sadly I just bought the Dock and updated my firmware with no improvement. This same lens works perfect on my D90 because of the crop sensor.<br>

Are there any D800 users out there that have had a good experience with this lens? Please chime in Adorama is going to issue me a replacement but I'm thinking after my experience to opt for a refund sadly...</p>