We're #1 (Canon PR)

bobatkins

<p>Today Canon announced that they are #1</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., April 22, 2013</strong> – Canon Inc., today announced that the company's EOS line of interchangeable-lens digital cameras (Digital SLR and compact-system cameras) have consistently maintained the No. 1 share worldwide in terms of volume within the interchangeable-lens digital camera market for the 10-year period from 2003 to 2012.<sup>*1</sup></p>

<p>[some stuff skipped over]<br>

...This year, Canon introduced the EOS Rebel SL1, the world's smallest and lightest<sup>*2</sup> Digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C-size sensor, bolstering its product lineup with a model befitting the industry's top brand while targeting its 11th straight year as the world's market leader.<br>

<sup>*1</sup> Based on a survey by Canon.<br>

<sup>*2</sup> As of March 1, 2013, based on a Canon survey.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/news_events/press_releases?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480891911">http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/news_events/press_releases?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480891911</a></p>

<p>Perhaps the 70D and 7D MkII annoucements will come tomorrow...?</p>

<p>Hm... of course there's going to be some "discretion"</p>

<p>*Based on a survey by Canon. Is this like that advertisement that stated that 95% of woman's first impression of a man are determined by the shoes he's wearing (based on a survey done by a shoe making company). Does this mean Nikon can say the same thing based on a survey by Nikon (joking of course I think Canon had some better camera's until recently it's not so easy to say).</p>

<p>Over a 10 year period. Does that mean Nikon is going to release an article they're #1 in digital camera sales and such for 2012 and 2013?</p>

<p>:) All fun</p>

<p>I'm not quite sure of the reason for this PR. It's not like there some sort of event that it's associated with (as far as I know). Seems to have just come out of the blue. Unless official camera sales numbers for 2012 have just been announced?</p>

<p>Since Canon currently have only about 2% of the mirrorless camera market and that market is growing pretty fast, it's possible that based on "interchangeable lens camera" sales that even if Canon stay #1 in the DSLR market they may drop in the larger ILC market. If Canon don't bring out some new mid-level DSLRs soon, their DSLR sales might even take a dip.</p>

<p>I've seen that rumor too. Maybe, or maybe this was it a day early!</p>

<p>The rumor is single sourced from a site that makes a living distributing rumors, plus there have been none of the usual slip-ups by Canon or vendors putting things on the web before the release date. That makes me suspect that either Canon have gotten much, much better at keeping a lid on things or that noting major is scheduled for tomorrow.</p>

<p>If something big is indeed coming you'd have thought that they'd have played up the "#1 for the last 10 years" angle along with the "ground breaking" new product in a single press release or at least simultaneous press releases.</p>

<p>We'll find out tomorrow I guess</p>

<p>Bob, you're grammar is interestingly British, although I thought you were American. You use the plural verb for a company (like the British do) whereas, for Americans, we say "Canon has only about 2% ... even if Canon stays #1 ... If Canon doesn't bring out ...", et cetera. For us anal-retentive readers, it's very distracting and difficult to get past a foreign language like Brit-speak in order to concentrate on the message. ;-) Britain IS funny that way ... er ... Britain ARE funny that way.</p>

<p>It depends. </p>

<p><em>Fowler's Modern English Usage</em> states:</p>

<blockquote>"<em>In British English, <strong>collective nouns</strong> can be singular or plural, so long as attendant pronouns follow suit. In American English the choice is much more restricted—i.e. the choice is singular</em>."</blockquote>

<p>We're getting off topic here though. I'm sure there are websites and newsgroups where you can endlessly debate whether collective nouns are treated as singular or plural. Let's not debate the issue here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Rumor has it that they're announcing something new tomorrow.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So much for the reliability of the rumor websites.....<br>

<br>

I don't think there's so much criticism of their products, which I've always found to be excellent or I wouldn't have bought so many of them! It's more of a criticism of and frustration over getting new products to market like the 200-400 lens, the next generation of the 60D and 7D and any sign of support for their EOS-M series.<br>

</p>

<p>Interesting that Canon has declared itself number one. I would have thought that Nikon's competitiveness with the D7100, D600, and D800, Canon hefty price increases for prosumer gear, and limited response to the rise of the mirroless segment would have seen Canon losing some market share.<br>

Evidently the is enough inertia in this market that having an expensive, undewhelming (at least on paper compared to the competition) and outdated product line doesn't seem to matter for sales.</p>

<p>I think the Nikon/Canon "interchangeable lens" numbers are very close. This site suggest a 38% to 37% split in favor of Canon for 2008 but I don't know the source of their numbers.</p>

<p><a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photoscala.de%2FArtikel%2FDSLR-Welt-im-Wandel">http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photoscala.de%2FArtikel%2FDSLR-Welt-im-Wandel</a></p>

<p>Whether Canon stay ahead of Nikon for 2013 will probably depend on whether they get new DLSR and lens products to market by the end of 2013. Nikon probably have a lead on Canon in the MILC segment, which I guess is part of the ILC market, though it's Sony who have the real lead in that segment.</p>

<blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon probably have a lead on Canon in the MILC segment, which I guess is part of the ILC market, though it's Sony who have the real lead in that segment.</p>

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree that Sony has the big lead in the MILC market, due to a solidly good product and great timing. I'm less inclined to agree that Nikon has an edge over Canon, however. The Nikon 1 is a dud, IMO. Canon's EOS M is not gonna set any sales records, however, but at least it's APS-C. If Nikon has a lead, it is only because the M is new.</p>

<p>Canon was not enthusiastic about MILCs. They've been dragged practically kicking and screaming into the MILC arena, and the M shows evidence of this with its lukewarm feature set. I hope they get over it tho and get busy with some serious v2 and v3 updates. And soon.</p>

<p>Yes, I'm a Canon guy, but lemme tell ya, whoever finally introduces a Full Frame MILC -- besides the Leica M -- is likely to get my loyalty. I'm betting it'll be Sony. Fuji may be a dark horse candidate, but my money's on Sony.</p>