Choosing a polarizer

alpshiker

Using a polarizer on wide angles, 47-65-80-110 (CF 67-86mm): Are polarizers usable on top of neutral density

center filters without too much loss in sharpness? Which brands are good? Are Heliopan as good as B&W? In

any case, they are more affordable. Should my choice go for a linear or circular, multicoated, slim line? What is

useful, what isn't? Thanks!

i'm exactly in the same position as you are with a CF 67-86mm (lens 55,75,135,180,240), i'm thinking on buying a 86mm linear polarizer, and step up rings (67to86, 48to67, 58to67) so i will be able to use 86mm filters on all my lens, i don't think we need circular polarizer with manual focus ...the other alternative is to use a filter system/ lee...

for brand issue, i don't know, i used to prefer an hoya linear to a very expensive nikon, because the hoya was cutting more reflexions, but the nikon was more neutral, in both case it wasn't current models..

Paul, I opted for the B&W, because I have in my bag some B&W Top-pols in different sizes, and I wanted to have all this filters with the same color... but

In some sizes you can't find the "slim" version, slims don't have front thread (you can't use with it some lens hoods), for wide-angle lenses the B&W "normal" versions are too deep (=vigneting), linear ones are not multicoated, circular ones are more expensive, etc. (in my local B&W supplier).

The price of the Polarizer in 86mm is too big for me; as my widest lens is a Grandagon 75, I decided never use CF+pol at the same time. It isn't needed the CF with the 110XL when shooting 4x5.

At last I bougth slim line multicoated circular; I don't have tested the "colour" but I'm satisfied with the results.

For the next filter, I will have a look at the Heliopan's catalog, here are cheaper and I wonder if the quality are the same... I read some time ago that the two brands use "Schott" optical glass, but I don't know anything about this.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

Paul,

I use a Heliopan Kasemann circular warm tone polarizer, which is my most-used filter. Heliopan makes filters as good as Schneider, and I like them better. The Heliopan has a graduated scale on it, so you can observe the effect with your eye then easily put the filter on the camera in the same orientation. I shoot some rangefinders in addition to LF, so the scale is nice.

Try to get a warm tone. Some polarizrs have a tendency to give a cool or cyan cast, and the warm tone is very nice.

You don't necessarily need a circular polarizer unless you have autofocus. If you don't have autofocus, a circular polarizer won't hurt anything but your wallet.

Kasemann's are edge sealed against environmental conditions, to prevent condensation between the components. They are uncoated because of this design, but I've never had any flare problems, likely because a polarizer increases contrast so much. Schneider just introduced the first coated Kasemann polarizer. If they make a warm tone, I may give it a try. Likely to be very expensive. I'd get a coated filter if I could, but I frequently shoot in 100% humidity so I've used the Kasemann.

If you're using the filter on really wide lenses, you will likely need a slim line. My 77mm Heliopan vignettes quite a bit used on my Mamiya 7II with a 43mm lens (you also use a Pentax 6x7, right?) with a 67-77mm ring.

Thanks!

Steve

For wideangles, get a polarizer larger than your lens' filter thread and use a step-up ring, especially if you plan to stack filters. This will help avoid vignetting (and make it easier to screw the filter off).<br>

My main subjects are mountain and desert landscapes and I find a warming filter produces favorable results in almost every situation, so I opted for the Hoya Moose polarizer (combination of polarizer and warming filter). I've been very happy with it.<br>

<br>

Guy

Paul, I have tried many brands of polarizers and, as far as color rendition and built quality are concerned the linear single coated Heliopan are, by far, my favorites even compared to the B&W equivalent. Yes, they are a tiny bit "cold" but nothing compared to others. I'll definitely give a try at the warm ones very soon. Sorry I can't speak about the CF+Pola combo as I tend to avoid CF as much as possible. By the way : do you really need the CF with the 80 and 110 SSXL?

Reading your answers, I feel that it's not a good idea to stack CF

with Polarizers, after all. Using a polarizer alone increases the

fallof on lenses of 65mm

and wider, making the need for a CF even greater. Stacking

filters would probably produce soft corners due to the combined

thickness of glass crossed

with an angle, and vignetting. It would perhaps be an

interesting idea for a lens maker to combine a polarizer with a

CF, but I do not dare to figure the

price at which such filter would be sold! Thanks for your

suggestings and advices about linear, warm tone and the

brands!