Four days in upper NY State

enrique_flores

<p>Hello, everybody:</p>

<p>My wife and I will spend four days in NY. I know the city pretty well as I have travelled there on business perhaps a hundred times. So, this time I want to rent a car and go up to Niagara Falls. We never been there. Can you suggest me any other places to visit while in upper NY State?<br>

Thanks in advance<br>

Enrique Flores</p>

<p>do not be afraid to stop at tourist information stople<br>

I know you Are not new to the area<br>

but many events will be listed<br>

and unless you are staying with friends discounts<br>

on meals and lodging may be offered.<br>

Do not say " i was born here"<br>

when in NY state we passes up an antique tractor show.<br>

and I had my camera with me.</p>

<p>I just got back from Nigara Falls with my wife. It's 425 miles one way. I"d stay on the Canadian side in the Marriott over looking both the Canadian and American Flls from one of the high floors. Go gambling on the Canadian side and see some interesting things going on in the town. ALso stop on the American side of the falls. It will take you right to the edge of the falls for great photos. If you go when it's warm, you can take a Maid of the Mist boat trip that sails you right into the falls practically. </p>

<p>On your drive up to Niagara Falls, cross the Washington Bridge to the Palisades Interesate Highway northbound. You'll be in New Jersey for about 20 miles. But you'll be able to stop off the highway overlooking the Hudson River 5000 feet up. QUite a view and grewat for shots. After the 20 miles you come back into NYS and pick up the NYS Thruway to Route 17 later called I86. Route 17 will pass through the southern Catskill Mountains and go through some beautiful farm country. The driving will be light so there's not many cars on the rode. Keep it under 75 MPH to avoid the cops. Stop by the Corning Glass Museum in Corning NY. They make the iPhone glass gorilla glass but their museum is really very interesting. Allow 2 hours. If you have time stop at Letchworth State Park-interesting landscape. Check Google for more info on these places.</p>

<p>Here's the map. Take another route back. You could take the NYS Thruway all the way but it's boring. <br>

<a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=nyc&daddr=40.8849239,-73.945298+to:42.154135,-77.080756+to:Niagara+FAlls.&geocode=FXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFbvabwIdLq-X-yl38BiUXPHCiTHUO_1OMOT-nA%3BFZc4gwIdTNdn-yk5rVKZlUnQiTGWz-Ln_lmLqw%3BFZaYkQId1fpJ-ym3M-Yp6mPTiTGzqsW55FqXYQ&sll=40.886524,-73.895416&sspn=0.295372,0.441513&vpsrc=6&t=h&hl=en&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&ll=41.209139,-74.10347&spn=0.293927,0.441513&z=11">https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=nyc&daddr=40.8849239,-73.945298+to:42.154135,-77.080756+to:Niagara+FAlls.&geocode=FXFAbQIdK8KW-yk7CD_TpU_CiTFi_nfhBo8LyA%3BFbvabwIdLq-X-yl38BiUXPHCiTHUO_1OMOT-nA%3BFZc4gwIdTNdn-yk5rVKZlUnQiTGWz-Ln_lmLqw%3BFZaYkQId1fpJ-ym3M-Yp6mPTiTGzqsW55FqXYQ&sll=40.886524,-73.895416&sspn=0.295372,0.441513&vpsrc=6&t=h&hl=en&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&ll=41.209139,-74.10347&spn=0.293927,0.441513&z=11</a></p>

<p><em>AK: "... overlooking the Hudson River 5000 feet up ..."</em></p>

<p>:-) ... So we don't give Enrique the wrong impression, I'm pretty sure Alan meant to say, "500 feet up". Only Marcy and Algonquin are > 5000', and they are a long way from that part of the Hudson valley (eg, Bear Mtn, Crows Nest, Storm King, etc.)</p>

<p>IMHO, the rest of his advice is right on the mark. The only thing along the way I might add would be to spend some time in the Finger Lakes area. Ithaca is a very nice college town in that area. Lots of wineries around there, as well. Lots of people fall head-over-heels in love with the Finger Lakes. </p>

<p>BTW, Enrique, the area you are going is probably more correctly referred to as western NY state. If someone said "upper NYS" to me, I would think more of the areas north of Albany, eg, Adirondacks, Lake George, Champlain, etc. </p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Upstate NY is a very large area. Since you are starting at the Western end at Niagara Fall, I suggest the following:</p>

<p>Rochester and the Eastman House - an iconic museum of photography</p>

<p>Finger Lakes - wineries! </p>

<p>Utica - photograph the train station. Yup, the train station. Union Station in Utica is a grand old structure with marble columns that reportedly were recycled from the original Grand Central Station in New York (the one that preceeded the current Grand Central Terminal). Fabulous place!</p>

<p>Canajoharie - visit the Arkell Museum. This is a hidden jewel - Arkell was one of the founders of Beechnut Foods that was the principle industry in this small town until a few years ago. He had a pretty extensive collection of 19th century art that he donated to the local library; today, the Arkell Museum is an extension of the library that has built is collection around Arkell's original contributions. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I knew I would get very good advice by asking photo.net members on this matter. <br>

Actually, I realize I didn't tell you guys when my trip was going to take place. It's for the first week of May. I will arrive at NY Friday May 3, meet my wife (she is flying in from a different place), spend Saturday with my son and his wife and then depart for western NY state (Thanks for your correction, Tom) on Sunday. So, I just have a couple of weeks to put all ideas in order and compose my itinerary.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm with the Ithaca voters! I'm from that general part of the state and it is a great small city...wineries and the falls. Definitely worth it. <br /><br />Woodstock NY is also worth a stop. It is a very pretty town. <br /><br />The Saratoga/Lake George/Adirondack area is also picturesque. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The finger lakes region is where you want to go. Take a trip to Watkins Glen and Ithaca with it's the gorges and waterfalls, All of the lakes have wineries and vineyards. Here is a site for the location for some waterfalls. May will be a perfect time to be there for the spring run off. <a href="http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx?area=11829#trailid=XFP005-085&lat=42.33627&lon=-76.82765&zoom=8&m=terrain&a=WF">http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx?area=11829#trailid=XFP005-085&lat=42.33627&lon=-76.82765&zoom=8&m=terrain&a=WF</a><br /> My favorites are Taughannock falls in Ithaca. It is best viewed from the top overlook. (see pic below)<br /> Watkins Glen Gorge in Watkins Glen. You can enter from the bottom (best) or sometimes get in for free at the mid point trail location up the hill.<br /> Buttermilk falls in Ithaca is best starting at the top trail.<br /> Fillmore Glen is another nice glen to hike.<br /> The small town of Corning NY is special place and has a wonderful glass museum <br /> There are so many glens with waterfalls around the finger lakes just a few will keep you busy. <br /> You can certainly go to Niagara if you have never been there. It should be seen at least one. But it is a tourist trap<br /><div>00bb6y-534603784.jpg.59afd6f67457f90a0325df9b0ce8e324.jpg</div>

<p>Hello, John d:</p>

<p>You must have red our minds! Our decision leaned towards Watkins Glen.We reserved three days in a B&B there and will use it as a center location to drive around. We decided to leave Niagara Falls for another time. Now, your detailed suggestions and the link you provided me with add a lot of info on options, thank you very much.<br>

Enrique Flores</p>

<p>You will want to go to Havana Glen just down Rt 14 from Watkins Glen. It is just south of the little village of Montour Falls (nice falls there to). It is a short and easy hike to the falls. You normally can drive to the back of the park and park your car right next to the trail. Don't worry about the little gate at the opening. There is no one there and just drive out back to the trail head. It is a place to make some great photos.<br>

<a href="http://www.nyfalls.com/havanaglen.html">http://www.nyfalls.com/havanaglen.html</a></p><div>00bbYB-534971584.jpg.6d70214cb00effa4a658d1ad631f38a1.jpg</div>