New Studio

phil_burt

<p>A little info: I am planning a small studio for myself a hobbyist. What I want to do is take portraits, senior portraits and Families. Mostly I am hoping to attract those that really can not afford to go to a full time Professional Photographer's studio. I am retired and I really want to give back and help out.<br>

I have a space that is 22'W x 25'L with 9 ft ceilings that are open. I use a Nikon D600 and have 2 Sb's one 600 and one 900.<br>

What I want to get to upgrade this is some Paul Buff lights. Thinking of starting with their Top one an Einstein, one Alien Bees (800) and a Beauty Dish. Of course stands. A soft box and a large Parabolic umbrella. I want to use their cybercyncs to remotely fire the flashes. I already use them with my Nikon SB's<br>

I think that this is middle of the line or better. I really do not have the money for something like Profoto and because most of what I will be doing will not make me much revenue this is the level I can do.<br>

The building is a metal pole barn that I am insulating so to keep it warm in winter and cool in summer. Is has a concrete floor, I am thinking of putting down a 12' x 14' piece of linoleum in front of my backdrop so to make it nicer if any have to be on the floor for photos. I have seen a couple that resemble a wood floor that look good and have a rubber backing to hug the floor.<br>

I have been into photography most of my adult life and do OK. For processing I currently have CS6. Most likely I will use an online lab for processing of the prints. If I get a lot then I may get something like an Epson 3000 model and print everything myself. I use this and other Epson printers in school where I attend, West Kentucky Community Technical College.<br>

Any suggestions and comments on this project will be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanking you in advance,<br>

phil b</p>

<p>I'm building a home studio as well. I'm planning on four Einstein E640s--I think they're actually superior to any other brand for a home studio--no other monolight or head-and-pack system dials down to 2.5 Watt-seconds. In a small studio, often the problem is that you have too much output, and end up having to ND your strobes to slow them down.</p>

<p>I would also recommend you get all-Einsteins, rather than different units. The PLMs are cool--I'm planning on getting both the soft silver and white 7' PLMs. I'm also going to order the black outer cover for the white PLM to cut-out any back-spill. The Buff softboxes and grids are super-affordable--I would plan on getting several sizes of those as well. Be sure to also order the softgrids or else your boxes will spray light all over the place.</p>

<p>By the way, the new line of Profoto RFi softboxes are now made to fit other manufacturers' strobes, and they also offer a speedring adapter specifically for Einstein/AlienBees. I got a 5' Profoto RFi Octa, and 1' x 6" Profoto RFi strip, and later plan to get 2' x 3' and 3' x 4' Profoto RFi softboxes for the rest of my E640s. More expensive than Buff softboxes, but not as pricey as Elinchrom Rotalux softboxes. Have fun!</p>

<p>You are on a good sensible track here. Like others said, get two Einsteins if you can swing them. I don't use Einsteins yet but am thinking of picking up two which will augment my current lights. I like them for the consistent output, price, and short flash duration. They will be more location specific too coupled with PCB's Vagabond Mini. Dialing down to 2.5 w/s isn't a selling point to me but your mileage and all that. I've shot in a converted garage/studio which is half the size of what you have and never worried about having too much power. If I need less than 30 w/s I'm using a speedlight. <br>

As far as modifiers, I do a lot with one light and that light has a beauty dish on it or a 39" Deep Octa on it most of the time. Modifiers are a personal thing I'm finding. I own far more of them than I use. Don't go crazy on modifiers. I use reflectors too. And flags to restrict light or absorb light. I'd seriously look at the PLM umbrellas PCB sells, get a couple of cheaper reflectors and add strip boxes and that stuff as needed. Down the road a large octa source, beauty dish (great hair and fill light too) and a strip light with some reflectors would set you up for most anything. Now having said all that stuff, don't discount using a large translucent panel shooting your lights thru that. In a small studio, you can make a wall of light, softer than many high dollar soft boxes. You need a few stands to hold it up and clamps to position it but it works and works very well outdoors as a scrim too. You have a bunch of options. Good luck. </p>

<p>I agree that it's easier if your lights are all the same -- two Einsteins would be best from the Buff lineup but I would prefer two Alien Bees over one AB and one Einstein. Just keeps life simpler. And it's easier to figure out lighting ratios if both units are the same.<br />To do full-scale portrait lighting you're also going to want a background light and key light. You could get four Buff units, or use your SBs until you can afford the additional units.<br />If you want a Beauty dish, nothing wrong with it but it's more a speciality item and optional in my opinion. The soft box and umbrella would get you through most work.</p>

<p>What considerations or accomodations have you made for restroom, place to change clothes, place to apply/adjust make-up, and a place to wait? I know a renown photographer and his studio is his combination kitchen/dining room. He has no additional expenses for his studio. People like the actor Anthony Hopkins have gone to his home for portraits. Something to consider.</p>

<p>Allen said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What considerations or accomodations have you made for restroom, place to change clothes, place to apply/adjust make-up, and a place to wait?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was actually thinking of building my own make-up table, using an Ikea wall-mount desk, bath mirror, and daylight color-temperature strip lights.</p>