PENTAX K5 PROBLEM - NOT ABLE TO PRESS SHUTTER - DARKENING OF VIEWFINDER

steve_mepsted

<p>Hi There, My PenTax K5 has recently started to display a problem. When I press the shutter I only get a darkening of the image in the viewfinder (as if it were giving a DOF preview) but I cannot take a picture. This problem has never presented itself before. I have tried using two different lenses with the same results. Any ideas before I have to send it off to Pentax? Much appreciated, Steve </p>

<p>[[have been to the sensor cleaning menu and found that mirror lockup is not on.]]</p>

<p>I'm not that all that familiar with all of the K5 menus but according to page 149 of the user manual, mirror lockup is enabled/disabled in the Drive menu not the sensor cleaning menu. </p>

<p>Thanks Rob and Bob, I have a fully charged battery in the camera and have taken it out and re inserted it. There is also a memory card inserted. Not sure whats going on. the shutter will not depress fully to take a picture and I have tried this on two lenses. Steve </p>

<p>Hi there and thanks for your advice. I have not used the mirror lock up function for months and the camera has been working fine since then. I have removed the lens and can clearly see that the mirror is in the down position, however the problem seems to be the shutter curtain which is stuck and obstructing the sensor. This must be why the camera wont fire. Anybody know of a workaround? Many thanks for your help, Steve </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have removed the lens and can clearly see that the mirror is in the down position, however the problem seems to be the shutter curtain which is stuck and obstructing the sensor</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If the mirror is in the normal down position, the viewfinder cannot be darkened, even if the sensor and shutter are broken, with or without battery. So you should describe the situation better</p>

<p>John, I don't think that's true. Stopping down the aperture could darken the viewfinder. Also, for viewfinders that have LCDs built in, like every DSLR today with focus point overlays, the viewfinder will darken if there is no power going to it. I'd bet that there are countless discussions about this already on the web. Although, you are correct that whatever is happening with the shutter is independent of what you would see in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>Steve, I would like to apologize for all of the gross misinformation you're getting. Some of the people here are confusing a darkened viewfinder with a blacked out viewfinder, and others are feeding you nonsense. Bob gave you good advice, because electrical/power gremlins are one of the two causes of a darkened viewfinder. When this darkened viewfinder occurs, you should look through the front of your lens and ensure that the aperture is not stopped down for some odd reason. If the aperture is still wide open, then it is definitely a power issue. Before sending your camera in to Pentax repair, you might see if it is a defective battery. If you don't have one, then go out and get one. On the bright side, it's always good to have a spare sitting around, and if it is just a bad battery, you can save yourself quite a bit of hassle. You might also look inside the battery bay of your camera, and maybe try cleaning the contacts with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. If none of that fixes the issue, then something's wrong with the power board on your camera, and you're finally going to have to break down and send it in for repair.</p>

<p>I don't know if it is possible in your situation, but I had something similar while shooting at a base ball game recently. I had the battery grip on, and was taking vertical shots. When I did, my nose occasionally bumped the LV button, causing great confusion! As soon as I figured out what had happened, I was able to recognize the problem and fix it right away. <br>

Just a thought, could happen.</p>