Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 mm

lex_bosman1

<p>Today I picked up a Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 mm for my Leica M bodies. Are productions dates, perhaps even with individual numbers available somewhere? Would there be a good shade to use on this lens, because I fear it may flare quite a bit.<br>

I haven't used it yet, are some of you using it regularly?<br>

Thanks, Lex</p>

<p>I don't know about the serial numbers and so on, but the Steinheil lenses were widely available in the 60s and 70s in various mounts. My experience with them was quite positive.<br>

They're going for a lot more money these days.</p>

<p>My older Steinheil lenses (long gone now) had regular screw-in filter mounts, but I can't find out what the diameter was on the 85mm in my files on old M42-mount lenses. Try to measure it and you should be able to find a screw-in lens hood that will work for an 85mm lens.</p>

<p>I had a leica mount version a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure it took a Series VI filter / screw-on hood, which was often needed, as mine did flare a bit. Its coating was in pretty poor shape, though, which could have contributed to the flare.</p>

<p>I have two of the 85mm Culminars, one in LTM and one in Exacta Mount. They are not as rugged as Leica lenses, but give reasonably good results. The link below shows my favorite shot with them, made with my Exa and Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85mm on Kodak Gold 200.<br>

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/GreatLakes.jpg.html<br>

- Jim Nichols</p>

<p>Lex, the adapter front is threaded for a Series VI Retainer Ring, or a Series VI hood. These accept Series VI filters, which have no threads. They were widely used when I started in photography in the 1950s, but have gradually been replaced by the threaded filters in use today.<br>

<br />- Jim Nichols</p>

<p>With respect to a hood and filters I have found that on my Leica thread mount Culminar that a Leitz Summitar filter adapter 13078Y (production code word eludes me) that allows E-39 filters to be used on Summitars works quite well on my example. auction site seller Heavystar makes economical 39MM hoods for Leica 90MM lenses that works well on the Steinheil 85MM Culminar.</p>

<p>Guys, this is all very helpful, thanks. Surfing on the internet for reactions about this lens, I came across various kinds of reactions, some rather positive, others rather negative. Since I only work on film it may take a while before I can see any results of my own Culminar. So far I like the short build and the handling.<br>

Lex</p>