80-400 shipping?

dennis_brabender

<p>I'm with you Rene' ....I'm waiting on some reviews and full sized pics (at least better than the few that I have seen so far) I can wait... a little while..Don checked out your website (really nice pictures) would be really interested what you think of the 80-400 what type of camera are you using?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm so tempted to order it...... If I order it right now I can have it tomorrow..... Just one click away....... I need help!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rene, I can definitely help you make that click.</p>

<p>However, if you need NAS therapy, I am no psychologist. </p>

<p>Before purchasing the new 80-400, I would at least wait for a tested, third party tripod collar solution to become available. Having a modern VR implementation in a portable, high quality long lens is great for situations where tripod use is not possible, and if the light is getting weaker, but when a tripod <em>can</em> be used, it will very likely give better image quality if the focal length is 400mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sorry to inform you. There is no cure for that disease.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How about if you own one each from Nikon's entire lens line up, including that 800mm/f5.6 AF-S VR and the 1200-1700mm zoom: t<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bRqj">he Nikkor 1200 - 1700mm f/5.6 - 8P IF-ED lens in Rome</a>, and you own every Nikon DSLR model ever produced, would that be enough? Or you'll need two each from the D4 and D7100 for some backup?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Shun we ALWAYS need backup. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don't laugh. I stopped by my local camera store on the way to the office this morning. Some guy was there to pick up the D7100 he reserved yesterday, and he was getting <strong>two</strong> of them. He said he was a pro and needed a backup as well as for video. It turns out that the store got some 20 brand new D7100 bodies plus some kits. As of this morning, they had 6 D7100 bodies on hold for people who pre-ordered, and they still had 3 on the shelf. In fact, they let me played around with one with a 18-35mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S lens mounted on it. The D7100 feels very similar to the D7000, which I have. The 18-35mm AF-S seems quite a bit smaller than the 17-35mm/f2.8 AF-S I have. They also told me that they received a couple of new 80-400 AF-S VR, which went to people who pre-ordered.</p>

<p>For myself, I am going to hold off and hopefully I'll get to test review samples from Nikon first. I doubt that I'll buy the 80-400, certainly not at the introduction price. The yen is still going down in value. Hopefully there will be some better deals in the coming months.</p>

<p>Mine arrived a short time ago. Just had some time to snap a bunch of pics around the neighborhood, mailboxes, electric meters, fire hydrants, and some other junk. Far from scientific tests but I can tell you this lens is good, damn good. Shot everything wide open hand held. Pics are real sharp. The VR is solid, really seems to lock down quickly. Took probably 50 shots and all but one are sharp. When I have more time tomorrow I'll do some comparison shooting along with my 300AFS F4. I'm betting this lens is a winner! More tomorrow. OOps, one other thing. This lens is a big honker but not very heavy. There was quite a bit of discussion on the lens size when zooming, the answer is it goes out an additional 2-1/4 inches from 80 to 400mm.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting your first impressions, Don. I know I want this lens - just waiting for some reviews and for a price reduction. Once Nikon introduces the D400 and the appropriate 3-6 months waiting period thereafter, and if there are no "red flags", I will have to pull out the plastic. May actually happen sooner (especially in the unfortunate event that it will become clear that there won't be a D400 - in which case I will have to have a closer look at the D7100).</p>

Shun I'm not laughing. I don't go

anywhere without a backup body in the

bag and a third one in the car. I too am

hoping for a D400 that is close to the

size of the D300. I just prefer a bigger

camera. And the 80-400 is testing my

resistance. It would replace two lenses

in the bag now and give me more

reach. A perfect sports lens.

Rick H.