PC-E 45mm and old film cameras

WAn

<p>Hello everybody!<br />According to B&H pictures the lens seems to have a button that closes the aperture manually, like the old PC 85mm (not "E") lens.<br>

1) Will the PC-E 45mm lens work on old film camera like F2AS and F4s if after focusing I stop down the lens manually?<br>

2) What about light metering? Do I have to meter (I mean camera metering) with lens also stopped down?<br>

Thanks!<br />Andrey</p>

<p>Michael, <br />first of all thanks for the manual!<br>

About F4s everything is clear.<br>

As for F2 I still have some doubts: you wrote: "the stopdown is electrically actuated". I suspect that it means that the _camera_ cannot stop the lens down (hence "restriction and limitation" mentioned in the manual). But I think nothing hurts me to stop the lens down using the dedicated button _on the lens_.<br />An I wrong?<br /><br />Frank, <br />I also heard many good things about PC lenses; I also own the old 85mm PC, it is excellent.<br />The 45mm PC-E seems to be the best Nikon normal lens?.. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"As for F2 I still have some doubts..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>My impression from reading the manual is that the aperture actuation on this lens is <strong>entirely electrical</strong>, and power must be supplied to the lens (from the camera body) in order to stopdown the aperture, i.e. the dedicated stopdown button on the lens is not mechanically linked to the aperture assembly, but is an electrical switch. In other words, identical to the DOF preview button on all Nikon DLSR bodies ... it's an electrical switch, not a directly linked mechanical lever.</p>

<p>I have never used this lens, and I could certainly be wrong, but the table above seems to be pretty clear with respect to preset aperture actuation with all <strong>manual focus</strong> cameras:<br /> <em>- IMPOSSIBLE</em><br /> <br /> <em>:-)<br /></em></p>