Contax

<p>I have Contax 35mm Film camera, flash, two lenses + several filters. All made in West Germany. I have no idea what it is worth. I would like to sell it as I don't shoot film any more. Preferably, I would like to sell it all together as a package. All equipment is in MINT condition - meaning like new. Used only couple of times and put away. No scratches, dings, dents, fungus, rub-off marks or any signs of wear. Please, be realistic in your estimation. Thank you for taking the time to comment.</p>

<p>Camera: Contax RTS II Quarz / 50th Anniversary / Black<br>

Motor Drive: Contax Professional Motor Drive W-6 / Black<br>

Power Pack: Contax PMD Power Pack, Black<br>

Flash: Contax TLA 30, Black<br>

Lens: Carl Zeiss / Planar F1.2 / 85mm / T* / 50th Anniversary / Black with Cap<br>

Lens: Carl Zeiss / S-Planar F2.8 / 60mm / Black with Cap<br>

Ring : Contax 67/88 Ring<br>

Hood: Contax Metal Hoood 4<br>

Hood: Contax Metal Hood 1<br>

Filters: 2 Contax Skylight Filters / one for each lens<br>

Filter: Carl Zeiss "Softar" 86mm filter in Contax Black padded box<br>

Polarizers: 2 Contax Carl Zeiss Polarizers</p>

Selling it altogether is tempting of course, but I suggest selling the lenses seperately. These two are not the usual kit lenses. The 85mm 1.2 is desirable. The 60mm is also not your run of the mill lens so tossing them all together is not a good idea.

The body will bring a fair price too if in good condition. Check the completed Ebay auctions for a price spread. The body with the power-winder sounds like it warrants a better price as one without, but all thing being equal it's just not that critical. Same for the flash.

<p>This forum is not for selling or "valuing" gear. If you want to sell, try the classified ads section of the site under the equipment tab above or at http://www.photo.net/gc/domain-multi.<br /> You will get a far better idea of value by looking up the completed (actually sold, that is) listings at eBay as Chuck says. The prices ASKED are useless, only the actually sold prices are relevant to value.<br /> BTW, the camera is Japanese made under license from the German company. Some of the lenses for it are Japanese, a few still German-made.<br /> The camera is ok in value, but the lenses are likely to be valuable.</p>

<p>@ JMD: my appology. It was not my intent to offer this equipment for sell through this particular forum. I know there is many knowledgeable people here so I figured I could ask your opinion first, before I decide to sell it - if I sell it at all. However, if it is a violation of your rules than please advise me how to delete my post. I will gladly comply. Thank you.</p>

<p>Not a problem, Jose, I knew you were new - that's why we tried to give some advice too.<br>

The lenses are likely to be the most valuable part of the trove. Do check eBay to get an idea before you try selling them directly to anybody.</p>

<p>An established dealer won't fool around, but of course they have to buy at wholesale to stay in business. On the other hand, no fuss. There are some marketing firms that will sell <em>for</em> you on eBay, but I've never tried selling through them.<br>

eBay prices are between wholesale and retail prices, depending on the desirability of the item.</p>

<p>Follow up: So I was monitoring eBay since my initial post here ... and found out that the 1.2 / 85mm lens is probably the most valuable. There are 3 listings for this lens, all from outside US, and the price range is from $3,999 to $5,200. The 2.8 lens is around $1K. The camera body itself could sell for around $500 while each filter and ring runs around $100 each. Could not find listing for the Contax flash.<br>

I like the idea of selling it piece-by-piece instead of as a package. I think this approach will attract more buyers. If I sell - now I am having second thoughts :-) - i will come back to give you follow up.<br>

Thanks ! JB</p>

<p>This might be a little off topic but I 've got to ask..<br>

Jose..<br>

How did you come by all the Contax gear in the first place? Inheritance or impulse buy or..?<br>

I can't imagine letting these lenses go to Ebay without at least trying them out on your digital setup - just to be sure. The cost of an adapter is a small price to pay if it helps you make the right decision on such treasures.<br>

If you do part with these items you might have a look at Amazon in addition to the other places already suggested. I just did a quick check and it seems Amazon list several Contax items in their marketplace. <br>

<br />Good luck either way,<br />Bud</p><div>00bZ6k-532681584.jpg.c2157e31ffc4b5f52617caa65129782f.jpg</div>