Canon Forecast Falls Short of Expectations

henryp

<blockquote>

<p>The OP's article discusses currency fluctations and a nascent mirrorless market as potential reasons Canon didn't hit their targets, but attributing a decline to personal annoyance with a high-end, low-volume model is a little bit opportunistic, and likely quite irrelevant.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Exactly. But nobody really wants to read the article, they want to make up their own analysis without any facts. Like this:<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What do you expect, the prices for Canon lenses went up so much in the past copuple of years that allot of buyers were plain scared-off or dissapointed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />What surveys show buyers leaving because of lens price increases?</p>

While management blames currency fluctuations and the decline of the compact camera market for the lack of revenue

growth in imaging products these factors will have a similar impact on Nikon. Nikon may have half the revenue of Canon

in the imaging products category but the lower base argument is spurious. Neither company had a significant acquisition

in imaging products,both are subject to the same currency fluctuations and market conditions. Thus the differential

performance of the two companies can only be explained by product, pricing and distribution decisions.

<blockquote>

<p>5dMiii is a fail when compared to d800 (22mp vs 36) ... I shoot with 5dMKII and have 5D has a backup</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are entitled to your opinion as someone who owns neither the 5D Mark III nor the D800. I, on the other hand, own BOTH models, I can assure you that neither is a "fail" by any reasonable measure.</p>

<p>I didn't sell the Canon when the Nikon showed up. Each body has its own set of strengths and weaknesses, and I choose the one that best suits my needs for a particular occasion. Neither brand is responsible for the global macroeconomic forces that are creating challenges for camera and electronics companies.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 5D III was not as popular as people expected with a wopping price of $3500</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not true. Even at its full price it has flown off the shelves.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>and the 7D never reached the popularity level of the 5D classic or the 5D II.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>What?</em> You've <em>got</em> to be kidding! </p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />What surveys show buyers leaving because of lens price increases?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There probably isn't a survey showing this but I can gaurentee that if you push prices up enough buyers will leave.<br>

I for one did, by spending $3.5k on a full M4/3 system instead of a 5DIII/6D, which was an alternative option.</p>

<p>Either the DSLR commercial teams at Canon and Nikon, and the consumers, are stupid, or the 'failed' 22MP 5D MkIII generally delivers more value than the supposedly superior 36MP D800, because the 5DIII body is approximately £400 more expensive than the D800 body at Wex photographic in the UK, and approximately $700 more expensive at B&H in the US. <br>

Sure, things like markting campaigns influence what consumers will pay for a product such as the 5DIII, but Nikon is no amateur at marketing, either. Such a price differential would not be sustainable without the underlying substance to justify it. The free market will not lie.</p>

<p>People most likely to buy a 5D MkIII or a D800 are not usually new to either the Canon or Nikon systems and have already invested in lenses, flashes, teleconverters, extension tubes, etc. Most such people are not going to switch systems because the pixel pitch is smaller on one than the other. Those two particular cameras have a variety of strengths and weaknesses vs. the other. Most of us don't decide based purely on pixel count.</p>

<p>As one can see from the linked article, all this nonsense about product features etc. is irrelevant for the financials. It's safe to ignore any of the comments about how this is related to what products Canon (or Nikon) is shipping relative to the financial forecasts of the two companies.</p>

<p>http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-02-06/nikon-plunges-most-since-1985-after-forecast-cut-tokyo-mover</p>