Canon 24-70 2.8 IS ISM without VC or Tamron with?

kathlyn_gadd

<p>I have the Tamron 24-70...my copy is sharp edge to edge...it is well-built...I am 100% satisfied. The price for the Canon equivalent was too much for me...and it is nice to have IS on my lens - the Canon does not have IS...</p>

<p>The Tamron 24-70 F2.8 IS is better built than the Canon 24-105 F4 IS (which I own and used extensively for three years).</p>

<p>If you go the Tamron route, make sure to get a copy with a factory warranty (refurbished is good too) - that way if your copy is not sharp edge to edge, Tamron will fix that for you...they did for me in two weeks time - no charge to me. Tamron does have a fine repair department...and if you buy new, you can get their 6 year warranty. If you buy refurbished (for about $1000 USD via Eb*y), there is a 90 day factory warranty - I went the latter route.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Canon uses the term IS, Tamron uses VC, Nikon, VR. They are not all exactly the same, but they all try to do the same thing. There is a <em>NON-IS</em> EF 24-70mm II f/2.8 USM which is what you are asking about.<br>

Fairly objective tests of how well they do can be found at Photozone.de:<br>

Canon 24-70: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/773-canon2470f28mk2ff <br>

Tamron : http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff <br>

Personally I'd be happy with the 24-70 f/4 IS or,<br>

as I actually spent my own money, the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS<br>

I'd rather have the IS, VR, call it what they may, for any lens zooming into even modest telephoto range.</p>

<p>I'm very happy with my EF 24-70/2.8 L II, much more so than I was with its predecessor. It is very sharp with high contrast even wide open. Image stabilization would be nice, but it's not as important to me on shorter lenses as it is on longer ones.</p>

<p>But whether it's worth the price difference to over the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC, only you can decide. Although I haven't used the Tamron, my guess is that the its image quality is very good, and that you won't be disappointed with it. Perhaps you should try them both out before you commit to buy.</p>

<p>Sorry - I (very unhelpfully) mistyped the name of the Canon lens. It should be the EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM (http://www.amazon.co.uk/24-70mm-2-8L-USM-Zoom-Lens/dp/B0076FS09A/ref=dp_ob_title_ce) i.e. <em>no</em> IS. The 70-200mm F2.8 Canon equivalent is an IS lens but not the 24-70mm. AFAIK the only lens of that focus length range with IS / VC is the Tamron - neither the Canon (or the Nikon equivalent) have IS - hence the dilemma.</p>

<h1 > </h1>

<p>As I said, there is a 24-70 with IS, but it is f/4 instead of f/2.8.<br>

The IS is usually adequate for stopping <em>camera</em> movement in low light at f/4, but of course doesn't help stop blur from <em>subject</em> movement.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Ulimately it depends on how you use your camera. I shoot just as much HD video with my 5D2 as i do photos so I went Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC. The VC for handheld Video where shutter speed is often 1/30 @70 mm is very important to me. More so than any advantages in IQ the Canon 24-70 F2.8 II may have. Build quality is on par and has a 6 year warranty what more could you want? </p>