Destinations - Austrailia?

lars ake vinberg

After five years as a hobby LF shooter, I have decided to dedicate

more time to landscape/travel photography. I am taking 12-18 months

off for travel with focus on LF landscape photography, just sold my

apartment here in Stockholm, and I am now considering different

travel itineraries starting March 2003. (This is also my idea of

surviving the recession in my profession which is computer software.)

I am primarily considering Australia. The idea of buying a motorhome

and spending 6-12 months around the continent does appeal to me. This

would also allow for stepping up to 8x10 format (which would be bit

of a challenge if backpacking around South America). Cost is a bit of

a consideration, but not overly much so.

I'm not quite sure what my question is here... I guess any thoughts,

experiences and pointers would be appreciated. Packing up my life to

go traveling is a big step for me.

Ole,

I actually visited western Norway this summer, spent two weeks around Buerdalen near Odda. Fantastic place, amazing scenery, nice people. Drove by Stryn on the way back to Sweden. Grey skies and drizzle the whole time, though. I heard later that July is the rainiest month for western Norway. Makes for great waterfalls, though!

Ake<div>004GCu-10711184.jpg.3fc145c75265b899d282be2f9a48054f.jpg</div>

I would like to suggest you think carfully before comming to Aust. Nothing wrong with the place at all if you came as a tourist. There is little to no LF suport almost none in 8x10. Away from the four main centers forget it. The distances are huge with days of travel for little gain in photographic opertunity. For example in a camper van try about 6 days of non stop monotinous nothing to get across from Adelaide to Perth. Those who have done it seldom volenteer for a return trip. The cities are much like other cosmopolitan centers found around the globe.

If your tastes run to desert, nothing type areas that's fine but you may soon tire of that, in 8x10 any way. If you're considering Aboriginal reserve type areas, access is by permit only and often needed to be sourced months in advance.

You have been to NZ well it's nothing like that, where photo oppertunities abound around every corner. We go to NZ too to get those Adams type images.

All costs considered may I suggest you seek some other locations if you wish to use 8x10 or dare I say also 4x5. Apart from that welcome aboard you will enjoy.

I support Greg's reservations about Australia. Perhaps this is then greener grass syndrome but, as an Australian, I yearn for the softer light and extended shooting hours of Europe. Some things to consider about photography in Australia, particularly those used to European shooting:

<ol>

<li>

This distances <b>are</b> vast.

<li>

Australia is an old continent and the scenery tends to be less spectacular than younger landmasses such as New Zealand.

<li>

The light tends to be very harsh except for dawn and sunset. The days in summer are long, with few photographic opportunities between 5:30am and 6:30pm. You may tire of the long wait between sunrise and sunset.

<li>

Australia is predominantly covered by what's called the Australian bush. The bush is a fairly cluttered environment compared to the vegetation of some other countries, and can be a challenging to simplify compositionally. That's why so many classic Australian landscape photographs are taken in the desert or on the coast.

</ol>

I hope this doesn't sound too unpatriotic to other Australians. It's really a reflection of my own frame of mind, photographic experiences, and my future travel plans.

Leigh & Greg,

Thnaks for your straightforward comments, clearly food for thought.

Ralph,

I am also considering the U.S. There is however the practical matter of acquiring a motorhome/RV in the U.S. Rental for 6 months is out of the question at US$70-200 per day plus insurance of $20-40. RV prices are a bit higher in the U.S., and then there is the insurance. My brother suggested today that I look into buying and registering a vehicle in Canada.

Ake: NORWAY, NORWAY, NORWAY. Yes, you have been there but I have to wonder if your proximity takes some of the lure away. I do not know Norway as well as you do, in fact, very little of it but what I saw made me wish I could take your kind of trip to see and photograph those magnificent landscapes. Now to add to the connundrum: Looking at Paul Schilliger's masterful treatment of Swiss landscapes, (http://www.paulschilliger.com/frame.html) I would have to say Switzerland and seeing what Dave Muench has done in the US (http://www.muenchphotography.com/) I would have to say the US. Goes to show you that what you are looking for may be nearer than you think! I have not seen similar portfolios of Norway however and can not recommend any. If you are interested in any of these locations click the links. You may find it quite useful and cheaper to travel the web first since there is such wonderful work to be seen there about just everywhere as part of your planning. David Muench's site covers the US quite thoroughly. Yo will have to register to get into the site, a minor inconvenience. Have a great trip.

Norway? Switzerland? Sure, both are beautiful countries (I spent in Norway more than a dozen of a month long vacations, and much more time in Switzerland) - both have the disadvantage of bad weather though... You can patrol Norway for a whole month with gray skies. Mountains in Switzerland are covered for long periods with irritating haze (summer). My tip to Ake? Take a trip to Chile - much less travelling than in Australia and more variety for pictures.

just got back from new zealand. i've been to the arctic, antarctic, alaska, california coast, hawaii, the keys, and none are as wonderful as new zealand.

met more than one other tourist in nz who had spent time in both australia and nz and wished they had devoted all of their time to nz.

took the best medium format and large format landscape slides i have ever taken in the south island. golden bay, whaririki beach, the "pancake rocks", milford sound. good victorian architectural photo ops in dunedin and christchurch.

large format supplies do not abound there: fuji quickloads take three weeks to arrive by special order. you can get large format film processed in christchurch at imagelab. hand inspection for film at the airport was never a problem.

and the people are terific. where ever you go, have a ball!

All answers to your question will of course be 100% subjective. You might consider looking for "In a sunburned country," a great book about the wonders of long-term travel in Australia. It is a big place, much of it barren, but I have found it a wonderful place to photograph. Distances for over-land travel can be daunting, but it's not a crazy proposition. You could spend months just photographing in the area of Uluru (Ayer's Rock) and the Olgas in the "Red Center." I won't add to the list of suggestions of other places to go, as the list is obviously infinite, and infinitely subjective. For what it's worth, I found the park rangers in Australia surprisingly fiddly about the use of large cameras on tripods, so be prepared for some hassle there. But I think your choice of a destination is a good one, and probably Australia has not been photographed in LF with quite the same intensity as Europe, N America and some of the competing suggestions.

Good luck,

Nathan

"I found the park rangers in Australia surprisingly fiddly about the use of large cameras on tripods, so be prepared for some hassle there. "

I would say that's because they would not have a clue what it is. Even if you showed them they would think your barmy. Aust for all it's blessings is a land of P&S and disposable cameras. Regarding the parks the best bet is to front up at the park office and start asking lots of questions indicating who what where etc. You will find they more often than not will bend over backwards to help, often pointing you in the right direction re. outlooks etc. Pre empting this way I have never had any trouble. Aboriginal reserves may differ. Where sizs equals importance and importance equals cash. Not always but....Once again pre introductions etc work wonders.

My experience anyway. -- Greg