G.A.S attack

<p>Its been a while since I had a Gas attack for cameras, Well it struck the other day<br>

For some reason I was drawn to a Exakta Varex IIa, The wind handle was not in the wind position<br>

still in the cocked position way out front and the Jena B 1:2 f- 58mm lens not mounted correctly<br>

But everything looked very nice ,well I took a shot at it and as luck would be, I got it LOL<br>

so time will tell if its a DUD or something to use: for those interested here is the Bay # 181126283066<br>

thanks for Listening here :</p>

<p>Good luck. I've often found that a little judicious twiddling with the Exaktas will resurrect them-- since so often they've been fiddled with by people who can't tell the slow speed dial from the film rewind.<br>

Fiddlin' and Twiddlin' - should have been a Blue Grass duo.</p>

<p>Congrats, hope it works well for you. I've always looked at Exaktas with a skeptical eye. They kind of looked wierd, with the winder on the wrong side and all those protrusions off the lenses. The EXA was more pleasing to my eye, but i never did get one that worked correctly. Gave up after 3 tries.</p>

<p><strong>Lauren</strong> Hi! Exaktas are not difficult to bring up to scratch, unless the joints and sprockets are worn out, badly [that is very rare]. They are made to last. You may want to buy Miles Upton's manual available on Ebay, or, on Exaktaphile.com. He instructs step by step repair and reconditioning of Exakta VX and VX IIa. Other models are quite similar to work on. It is an enjoyable camera that makes one work hard to return with excellent results. sp.</p>

<p>Well my luck held out this trip, the camera completely works, shutter sound on the mark, shutter curtains also look good the back has its usual bumps but ok other wise. But<br>

the Jena B 58mm F-2 is somewhat stiff but no fungus or fog or haze , just dirty,<br>

I like the way the lens f-stop must be moved and once set it can not be accidentally moved as on other lens's that just turn .</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>...Hi, is anyone familiar with the flip-up rewind release lever on the early VX's and how to remove it from the camera?...the slotted screw that's underneath it that screws into the top of the rewind release idler gear shaft can't be gotten to with the lever in place and evidently the lever doesn't simply lift off as the push button-type rewind release on the later VX's and VXIIA's does...there's a pawl underneath the lever base (that locks the wind lever to prevent it from being pulled backwards before the camera is fully wound) that pivots on a screw and I tried un-screwing this screw thinking that maybe it held the lever base (?) in place also but apparently it doesn't...the head of the screw that's on top of the rewind release idler gear shaft (that the lever base obscures) has to be held in place with a screwdriver so that you can then un-screw the screw on the opposite end of the idler gear shaft and remove the gear and shaft so the shutter crate can then be removed from the body...it would seem to me that there should be a simple way for this flip-up lever to come off the camera as one wouldn't think that 'semi-permanence' would have been the intent with the lever configuration as this would be self-defeating in disassembling the camera for repairs but I've yet to figure it out...any help here would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely stumped at this point...thanks, Rick...</p>