Suggestion Flash & Triggers

jo_mikis

<p>Hello i would like to help me with your suggestions. I want to make a configation with external speedlights and triggers. I have a canon 5d Mark II with a 580 ex II external speedlight. I want to keep this as a main light.<br />I want a good combination of two triggers ( i thought a solution in cheap ttl triggers) and a good calue for money speedlight ) and a fill or background light). I try to find some products that can work properly for wedding photography and portraits work. </p>

<p>TTL trigers are expensive. Cheap trigers usually are not TTL, but do your market research...</p>

<p>Since you have the E-TTL compatible flash and camera, just get another compatible flash, and see what E-TTL ofers to you. Try to learn and use the camera and flash, utilizing the E-TTL that you already have.</p>

<p>If E-TTL does not meet your needs for a reason that posibly you will find out ?, then learn how to use manual flashes, and use cheap non-TTL trigers, or eventually get expensive TTL trigers.</p>

<p>Weddings usually call for profesional grade equipment, and cutting corners could show.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I want a good combination of two triggers ( i thought a solution in cheap ttl triggers)<br /> Weddings usually call for profesional grade equipment, and cutting corners could show<br /> <strong>Pocket Wizards</strong> all the way.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another vote for Pocket Wizards. If you asked me this question years ago, I would have still said Pocket Wizards ... but may have also recommended some cheap Calumet or Ebay triggers if you were on budget and if you never worked with radios. But now Pocket Wizard has that covered too with $99 Pocket Wizard transmitter/receivers that just came out.</p>

<p><strong>$99 Pocket Wizard transceivers</strong><br /> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925118-REG/pocketwizard_801_129_plus_x_transceiver.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925118-REG/pocketwizard_801_129_plus_x_transceiver.html</a></p>

<p>For cheap non ttl triggers i can recommend the yungnuo rf-603 i have 6 of them and they have never missed a beat... the line of sight range of two i tested is much more than yungnuo claim ! i think they claim 100 meters but at over 180 meters it was still triggering 100% if kept in line of sight... i ran out of land and could not walk back any more... can be found on feeBay</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I picked up the Phottix Odin transmitter and two receivers last year to trigger a Canon 580ex-II and a 430ex-II and they have more than met my expectations. Simple to use, TTL and significantly cheaper than the equivalent package of Pocket Wizard gear that you will need. Plus, 100% reliable so far..... One interesting value point for the Odin's is that the firmware is upgradable by the user. So Phottix has the ability to make changes and update things as time goes on. I kind of liked this point when deciding to buy these. </p>

"One interesting value point for the Odin's is that the firmware is upgradable by the user. So Phottix has the ability to

make changes and update things as time goes on. I kind of liked this point when deciding to buy these."

That's good news. The ability to do that is also a reason I like the Pocketwizard ControlTL system and MultiMAX II.

It's mildly interesting that no one one has brought the name of the other company that has mounted a wireless E-TTL and iTTL

challenge to Pocketwizard over the past couple of years.