Fall camping trip to Arkansas

jackie_mccully

<p>My husband and I are planning a 4-5 day camping trip to Arkansas from Austin and would like some tips. We plan on being there at the end of September or first of October and are thinking of the Ozark's, River Valley, or Ouachitas areas. We will be bringing our golden retriever and probably our canoe. Neither of us have visited Arkansas before so we would appreciate any thoughts on the best campsites, best scenic opportunities and any wildlife possibles. Thanks so much for any suggestions.</p>

<p>Bill is right about being early for the fall foliage. My wife and I went there last year in the middle of October and the trees weren't quite at their peak yet, still had some nice shots. We went to Eureka Springs and drove all around the north east corner. There is a lot to see. Sorry we didn't camp. Devils Den State park south of Fayetteville is nice and they have camping.</p>

<p>As you mention a canoe I suggest you check out Buffalo National River. http://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm<br>

It is a real jewel in the state with lots of places to camp and use the canoe. Since you are looking for campsites, scenic opportunities, and wildlife this place has all of them. Yes, you'll be a bit early for fall color, but it can also be quite hot that time of year. Slipping into the river under a big bluff would really be nice. We used to live in Fayetteville, and Buffalo River is is the first place that came to mind when I read your post. Hope you have a great trip.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses. Both Eureka Springs and Buffalo National River look beautiful and perfect! After doing some research it looks like there are several areas that will be fabulous! The problem now is going to be having enough time to enjoy it all. We may spend a day or two just driving around the area exploring. Thanks again!</p>

<p>I was born in Fayetteville (maaany years ago), but have been back many times since, the last being about 6 years ago. Eureka Springs, as other posters have said, is well worth a stop. The ES motto is, "Where the misfits fit." South of Fayetteville on US 71, you'll find a nice aviation museum at the old Drake Field. Further south, US 71 goes over Mt. Gaylor, which was a popular tourist area before the coming of the Interstate highways. Today, it is almost like a ghost town of abandoned service stations and cabin court motels. The only operating cabin motor court (an one of only a few left) is SkyVue. My grandparents owned SkyVue in the late 1930's and through WWII. Rather than go into a lot of detail here, please check out <a href="http://www.philwinterphotography.com/fayetteville.html">http://www.philwinterphotography.com/fayetteville.html</a> for more information. I hope you enjoy your visit!</p>

<p>A couple of other suggestions if you find yourselves in the area. Devil's Den State Park. There are nice places to hike and very pretty scenery. It's nice for sunrise/set photos with all the bluffs. This is outside Winslow off US 71 mentioned by Phil. This is quite a piece of road. We lived there pre-interstate. There was a big sign that said how many people had been killed on the road and ended with, "Don't Be Next".</p>

<p>If you're much further south check out Murfreesboro and Crater of Diamonds State Park. You can dig for your own diamonds and it's a lot of hot dirty fun. This is southwest of Little Rock. It's far off the path of the other locations and may be good for another trip.</p>

• 2 weeks later...