Ascor Light B360

<p>Digging around in my grandfather's old gear again, I came upon this Ascor Light set. There are 2 large light heads and two small heads along with stands and umbrellas. There is also a separate power supply that all the lights plug into. The modeling lights work on all units, but I do not see a test button for the strobes. <br>

The sync cable is also unlike anything I have ever seen (keep in mind here than I'm 29). It has a plug where it attaches to the power supply that looks just like a standard household 120v plug. The other end of the cable looks to be a female version of the same plug. Of all the equipment I've dragged out of his cache (two Graflex, a Hasselblad 500C, a Koni-Omega medium format, and a Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35mm) I don't see anything that looks like it would connect to these lights. What am I missing? And, is there any way on planet earth to use these lights with my newer Canon equipment (20D, 40D, T3i)? Does anyone have a manual for this set?<br>

I have uploaded a few pictures if you want to take a look.<br>

<a href="/photo/17005881">http://www.photo.net/photo/17005881</a></p>

<p>Thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>When you have the heads plugged into the power supply (with the big multi pin plugs that go into the A/B/C/D sockets and the unit turned on, try pushing the red button that says Ready Light. That might very likely double as a test button.<br /><br />The long household cord might be intended as an extension sync cable or might be just an ordinary household extension cord. The sync contact on the power supply is called a "household" sync connection. It is still a standard connection used on many professional studio strobe units. The plug that goes into it looks the same as a non-polarized household plug and a non-polarized household plug will fit -- do NOT plug a lamp or anything else into it unless you want them fried. The other end of the cord is usually a PC connector that goes into the PC socket on a camera.<br /><br />Assuming it is in working condition, this unit can be used with any camera you want to use it with. But it is old enough that there is a good chance that the sync voltage is too high for current digital cameras. If you use a PC cord, slide a Wein Safe Sync into the hot shoe on your camera, and plug the PC cord into the Safe Sync. Or you can use a radio trigger.<br /><br />Keep in mind that on anything this old there is a very good chance the capacitors are shot and that it's not going to work or not work well. It's a good idea to "form' the capacitors by turning it on and letting it sit for half an hour or so, then fire a couple of pops every few minutes. <br />The Hassy and the Koni Omega are the real treausres here.</p>

<p>Craig's advice is right on. 50 years ago I used a portable 400ws Ascor system that was ahead of its time - but now would be pretty obsolete. I got rid of it after about 25 years because I didn't trust the capacitor anymore, and better equipment was available. Those capacitors can catch fire or explode when they get old. The sync cable is just what Craig said - and the advantage of the household connector is that you can literally splice in regular extension cords. An example of the camera connector is here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16662-REG/Dynalite_0315X_Sync_Cord_Household.html One disadvantage, of course, is that you could get mixed up and plug into household current. As I recall, the trigger voltage for these things was in the hundreds of volts, certainly enough to fry a modern camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Or you can use a radio trigger</p>

<p>As I recall, the trigger voltage for these things was in the hundreds of volts, certainly enough to fry a modern camera.</p>

<p>The best, highest purpose your very old possibly dangerous (because of natural deterioration of the capacitors) is to be taken to an electronics recycling center, especially if it has just been sitting for a very long time.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with everyone here.<br /> If you absolutely <em>must</em> operate these lights, I would FIRST get a couple of Pocketwizards (or any radio trigger) and this cable below (or similar) before even operating those antique lights. DO NOT plug a sync cord straight to your DSLR... if you do I can almost guarantee you will fry your DSLR.<br /> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/105412-REG/PocketWizard_804_403_MH1_Miniphone_to_Household.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/105412-REG/PocketWizard_804_403_MH1_Miniphone_to_Household.html</a></p>

<p>Even then stand very very far away from the lights...and grab a hard hat or army helmet! :P</p>

<p>As mentioned the Hassy is the ultimate score. The Hasselblad 500C is a keeper (providing it is still in working condition but may need CLA because of its age) I have shot many photo shoots with that camera and its a workhorse, my favorite medium format camera. You can put digital backs on it too. Keep the cameras, recycle the lights (no pun intended). The recycle center may even give you a few bucks for the recycle for 120 medium format film.</p>