Nikon Introduces 18-35mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S and 800mm/f5.6 AF-S VR

ShunCheung

After a while the 800mm Nikkor will probably

cost about the same as the Canon does now, give or take a bit. Typical ratio of street price vs. Nikon's suggested price is 7/9 for this type of lenses at least in many European stores, which would suggest a street price of $14k plus tax after the dust has settled i.e. 1-2 years from now.

<p>The newer lens is a bargain these days when compared to others I guess that got upgraded to AF-S.</p>

<p>Had a check. That lens I actually got in HKG when someone went back. My 18-35 AF-D was $390US equiv back in the day. At point of sale was given 14% discount which reduced $390 by somewhat. I purchased a few other items too. It was also in 2005, January. Not import. Came with HKG warranty card.</p>

<p>There is something just not right having the letters "FL" on a Nikon lens. Canon "FL" mount lenses predate the "FD" mount lenses, and when Canon first used flourite glass elements, in the late 60's early 70's, those lenses had an "FL" suffix. Canon quickly dropped the "FL" suffix and began the "L" series. </p>

<p>So, for someone who grew up with Canon, and has both Nikon and Canon lenses in the same camera bag, that "FL" looks really odd! More to the point, it is blasphemy! Quite a lens by the looks of it though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=7150947">Francisco Salaquanda</a>, Jan 30, 2013; 12:43 a.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I had the AFD version of this lens. It was light weight and pretty sharp too. You can buy the AFD for $300. This AFS will be the same optics but with an internal motor, and undoubtedly it will be heavier.<br /> The focus speed with the AFD on a D300 or D700 (as i had), was very fast.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No Francisco, the new AFS will NOT have the same optics - it is a substantially different optical design with 3 aspherics and 2 ED elements (vs. 1 each for the old). The MTF curves are substantially different and I expect the performance to be much much better (as it should be).</p>

<p>Belatedly, I'm going to second Ilkka's comment: I'm surprised Nikon didn't go "E" earlier, especially given the move to AF-S-only bodies. I really think Canon got it right by going all-electrical, although I appreciate Nikon's backward-compatibility. E gives the lens designer more choice of where to put the aperture (and how to operate it), just as AF-S and AF-I lenses avoid the need to design a lens with a mechanical screwdriver linkage. It helps tilt-shifts, obviously, but it also makes teleconverters less rattly. Fond though I am of my F5 and 1970s vintage lens (and my Voigtlander and my 1949 Leica 90mm), electronics are the future. All hail our technological overlords and the absence of a little flappy bit of metal that I worry about breaking off when I put a lens cap on wrongly.</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>Seems like Nikon are even later than usual to the party - experimenting with fluorite in telephotos - wow, 40 years after Canon!<br>

Even the idea of an 800 f5.6 is 5 years after Canon and they made a bit of a big deal out of its revolutionary introduction. It's a shame, in the good ole days the 2 companies were neck and neck, but now Nikon is light years behind.<br>

And that price tag - crazy.<br>

Steve (a Nikon user and fan, always have been)</p>