Filter Advice

scott_killian1

I'm curoius to get feedback from the rest of the group on the use of UV filters. I

carry 4 lenses ranging from 90 - 300mm and I've been using Lee filters, often

just holding them in front of the lens for the exposure. I'm now switching to

thread-mount filters and am wondering if there is any downside to always

having a thread-mount UV filter on each lens to protect the front element? In

terms of image quality, am I compromising anything here?

Just curious about the solutions others in the group are using in the field.

UV filters are a kind of religion. Some people swear by them - I do - the others despise them. No one has a definite argument to offer. My guess is that with good quality filters you should be OK, except when you shoot against the sun or other difficult situations where falre is possible. I usually remove the filter as the last step of the routine in these situations - and it goes back as soon as the shot is taken.

I doubt that a glass filter would do much worse than a Lee filter hand held against the lens. Hand holding creates flatness and parallelism issues that any good filter should solve.

My take on this is that it is not necessary at least for my working style because the caps come off just before I put the lens on the camera and they go back on the second it goes back into the bag. Have a UV on the lens all the time just slows me down when I want to put some other kind of filter on it. If I walk around with a lens mounted and the camera on a trip I put the cap on first.

I do keep UVs or skylights on my 35mm lenses, but I'm much more apt to wander about and bang them into obstacles (not to say that I have, but the likelihood is greater.

Scott, the only time I would use a screw-on UV filter on a large format lens is during one of those rare occasions when there is a possibility of damage to the front of the lens. For example, at the beach with blowing sand and salt spray, or at the sand dunes with the wind blowing. Otherwise, a UV filter doesn't have much, if any, effect with modern coated lenses and B&W film. For color film, I prefer to use the Polarizing filter to bringing out the contrast between the sky and the clouds.

the uv or haze or other type filters one day will save you a fortune.. my 210 snyder lens board fell out of the camera one day when i didnt fasten the bellows,/ lens slide right.. the lens bounced on the pavement and the filter is jamed on.. i talked to a repair man and he said dont unscrew it, hell break the glass then cut and remove the filter rim like you take out a broken light bulb out of a socket.. any way the filter also alows you to work in spitting rain and snow dust etc.. set up your shot focus get all ready etc. take the filter off and shoot imediealtly , and put it back on, .. good luck.. dave...

Friendly, I have to disagree with Eugene. This kind of logic seems to me be very artificial. If there is "blowing sand" and "salt spree" what difference does it if you put a UV filter in front of your lens? You will have the blowing sand all over in the shutter anyway! Using a LF camera in salt spree?? What do you want to save with a diddly diddly UV filter on your lens? It's the whole camera you should take care of! This kind of reasoning for a constant use of a UV filter sounds too much like advice from your photo shop...