Santa Barbara

rnt

Heading for Santa Barbara for a few days next week. Anything special going on? I'll have a car and will probably make some side trips to

Solvang, etc.

Any info, suggestions, tips, etc. would be welcome...

<p>I lived in Santa Babara but our house is in neighboring Goleta. If the day is clear, going up to the top of the S.B. courthouse will give you a great view. A 2-hour boat trip around the harbor, or, better, a day trip to the Channel Islands, will give you some good photographing opportunities. You might enjoy a visit to the Botanical Garden. If you're not familiar with California missions, the S.B. Mission can be a good place to see. Skip the zoo--it's pretty ordinary.</p>

<p>There are great places to eat. Pacific Crepes is a simple, charming, modestly priced, restaurant. We have good Thai food; our favorite is a restaurant called "Your Place." For a great variety of good, cheap, Mexican food, it's hard to beat Super-Rica Taqueria, with no ambience whatever. It was recommended, years ago by Julia Childs, and I don't think it's changed. Cold Springs Tavern, on Stagecoach Road, is worthwhile. It's on the way to Solvang, which is terribly touristy. If you take route 154 to Cold Springs and Solvang, please drive carefully, both to avoid the likelihood of a ticket and to keep yourself and those with you safe. A good friend lost her mom on that road some years ago. If you go to Solvang on 101, there is an ostrich farm on your right soon after you turn onto 246. It's near another favorite restaurant, the Hitching Post II, dinner only, requires reservations. You might want to drive out on the SB. wharf for some nice views of the harbor and close-ups of pelicans. The Harbor Restaurant there is still pretty good, used to be better.</p>

<p>Have you decided on a place to stay? The Upham is very interesting, with a hotel portion and some individual cabins. Some travel agents can get you excellent rates there. If you can afford it, the Biltmore is very nice. Haven't done it for a while, but the Biltmore has an afternoon tea, with pastries and English-style tea sandwiches, which can be fun.</p>

<p>My wife, who teaches at the University of California, Santa Barbara, doesn't think it's a good tourist place. The bell tower, which was once open and provided good views, has been closed for some time.</p>

<p>If I can think of more things to suggest, I'll come back to the thread.</p>

<p>+1 to Hector's advice.</p>

<p>If there's wind, look for kite surfers along the coast. Good shooting opportunities.</p>

<p>Solvang is OK, but limited in photo ops. North of Solvang is a good looking wine country, but I doubt the vines will look like much this time of year. The Fess Parker Winery is particularly interesting, but it can get crowded on weekends. </p>

<p>The warning about 154 is a good one - take care on that road.</p>

<p>The Courthouse has a number of interesting features besides the view from the tower and is worth some time. Santa Barbara Mission, the Botanical gardens, the historic Presidio, Arroyo Burro (Hendry's) Beach at sunset, views of the hills from across the Bird Refuge, the "Funk" zone off of lower State Street for some odd-ball views are "close in" locations. In Solvang, there is the Santa Inez mission, and farther west on Highway 246 there is the Mission La Purisma, which is a state historical park. I'll reinforce the earlier posts about caution on Highway 154.</p>

<p>You can take Alisal road south out of Solvang and follow it back to the 101. It passes Nojoqui Falls Park and there may be water in the fall still(?). There are some interesting stretches of oak forest, some densely grown areas with big leaf maple and also Spanish moss as well as some more open areas and some agricultural activity. Not sure what might be out and about at Lake Cachuma. I've seen deer a lot throughout that area, usually later in the day, wild turkeys near the dam overlook, etc. Ballard and Los Olivos are quaint but upscaling little communities. Santa Ynez is a little rougher around the edges. There's Santa Ynez Burrito in the rio Market and Liquor Store in Santa Ynez. A little more expensive than some burrito places but it's all organic and mostly local fresh ingredients.</p>

<p>Mission La Purisima Concepcion in Lompoc - 17 miles west of Buellton is different from santa Barbara and Santa Inez. They are still active parishes, La Purisima is a State Park and restored to a more historic appearnce. It's set back up in the hills somewhat and surrounded by open space as opposed to being surrounded by modern developments, nd the outbuildings, and displays are more period correct, etc.</p>

<p>If you return on 101 along the coast from Buellton, there are several state beaches and a turn off to a viewpoint between Gaviota and the next beach park (Refugio?) adjacent to one of the old highway arch bridges and a long, high train bridge as well. With some effort you can get down to the beach and it's kind of rocky in that area.</p>

<p>There's A.J. Spurrs in Buellton, neaar the Hitching Post. A different style - old west theme, lots of antiques, stuffed animals, large portions - consider early bird specials or splitting an entree.</p>

<p>In santa Barbara, you can walk around the waterfront area, Chase Palm Park has an interesting garden and water area, a merry-go-round and a whale themed play area. There's a huge Moreton Bay Fig tree adjacent to the station. You can also walk out past the marina and yacht club and walk along the breakwater and a sand spit to look back to the wharf. The art walk on Sunday afternoons might be interesting. The outflow to one of the creeks fills a pond at the beach near the head of the pier and depending on season, there can be some close up birding opportunities.</p>

<p>There's a Samy's in Santa Barbara. Pricing isn't always the best and I'm not sure how happy or agreeable they are about price matching but it's a pretty comprehensive camera store.</p>

<p>I'm in the greater L.A. area and wildflowers haven't been real apparent around my area. It may be different up there. I don't know what their operating schedules are but there are a couple of wholesale orchid growers in Carpinteria, not to far south/east along 101 -towards Ventura from Santa Barbara and they may be open on weekends if this is the blooming season.</p>