Another "the big tripod question"

eskil_hess

<p>Hello!<br /><br /><br />I have bought myself the Benro C2192TB1, but it isnt shipped yet and now I am unsure if it´s the right tripod for me..<br /> <br /> <br /> Currently I own a 055xPROB but that thing is way too heavy and big to carry around, I find myself not using it enough.</p>

<p>So I am looking for a tripod(carbon) that is light, not too big to carry and definitly stable(since that is the main reason we need a tripod, to get better quality in shots).</p>

<p><br />What do you think, should I cancel the Benro?</p>

<p>Benro's are excellent tripods, no reason this model wouldn't be a good choice except for the 5 sections. That's a lot of twisting and turning to set it up from a fully folded position. I've 2 Benro's but both are 3 section unit's, one with twist lock and one with lever locks, much faster and easier setup. If that one spec doesn't bother you I don't see any reason to cancel your order.</p>

<p>I can't advise about Benro's range from a position of experience, but I've been curious about those flat Benros myself, so I'll be interested in the feedback you get. I've been nervous about the number of joints in the smaller tripods - generally, more sections mean less stability.<br />

<br />

The CF version of the 055 is a little lighter and appreciably more stable (based on a "wobble test" in a shop - that made me buy the CXPro3 when I was planning on a plain XProB), but the difference may not be huge by the time you've added a decent head. The 190 series are smaller and the CF version is especially featherweight, but it's short.<br />

<br />

May I ask <i>which</i> 70-200 L? (Canon have made at least five...) Are you happy with the stability of the 055? Which head(s) were you thinking of using with it - presumably the B1 that comes with it? What were you using on your 055?<br />

<br />

The C2192 seems very expensive (googling, you may have found a good deal...) for its capacity,and I suspect a conventional apex has a stability advantage, but it's a neat design. You're not pushing the limits of big lenses, so you may not need the extra size of the C3780. My feeling is that if you're going for a portable tripod, you shouldn't compromise the portability - it's not going to be as stable as a 5-series Gitzo or a 3-series RRS, and the only way you can make it more stable is to make it less portable. You already have a big, fairly stable tripod (you weren't about to buy a 500 f/4 were you?) so I'd stick with what you've got. Presumably you can return it once it turns up if you find it's not stable enough - I don't suppose you could go somewhere and try them?<br />

<br />

My big tripods are pretty stable; I also have a GorillaPod Focus, a Velbon VTP-777 and a Tamrac ZipShot, which <i>aren't</i> stable, but which are a great deal more portable. Much as I'd love something like the C2192T, I'd be filling a gap between extremes - I'm glad I've got a wide range of functionality, and I wouldn't want two bits of kit that are very similar in bulk. There's no harm in having more than one tripod (for multiple purposes), whatever my wife says. Speaking of which, I'd keep your 055, if only for times when the trick centre column comes in handy - and it never hurts to have something solid to stand a flash on.<br />

<br />

Good luck, and I'll be interested in your opinion of whatever you get.</p>

<p>Your current tripod is not huge. Its about average. The Carbon version of that would be fine and quite a bit lighter. Your current tripod has flip locks, Benros are twist lock. Personally I wouldn't buy a 5 section tripod and my 3 section carbon Manfrotto fits in my bags, and is lighter than the Benro you've bought. Don't think there's much wrong with Benros though- one was on my shortlist too. </p>

<p>I was trying to see how much it cost. Adorama says the C2580F is back-ordered, B&H doesn't list it, nor does my default site in the UK. Sounds hard to find. Also quite a lot bigger than the C2192T, and missing its unusual features (no monopod, doesn't fold flat). It's still slightly lighter and smaller than a 055CXPro4, though. It sounds to me like you're creeping back to the tripod you already have. I'd really suggest trying one in a store and finding whether it's enough of a difference to be worth the money to you.<br />

<br />

As for the B2, there's a lot said about the lack of quality of mid-range ball heads; I'm in no position to judge, never having owned one, other than having a Giottos that can't hold a big lens. I'll again champion the <a href="http://www.photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00b5rk">Triopo RS-3</a> that I've got (once you've put an Arca-Swiss clamp on it), but only because it's a bargain and I think more people should have heard of it. The B2 may have better ergonomics, and I doubt you need the RS-3's capacity, though once you're in that price bracket the names that most people mention are Acratech, Markins and Really Right Stuff (which reminds me, I ought to find a review of the P0/P1 Arca Swiss heads). I'm sure any of these would hold a 70-200 with a lot to spare - though I'm still hoping you'll clarify which one, at least because the f/2.8 versions are much bigger than the f/4s.<br />

<br />

I'd not over-think it. It took me a long time to decide between a 5-series Gitzo and a TVC-34L, so I sympathise, but a decent tripod is a decent tripod, and there's only so much that the last 10% of engineering quality will provide for something that's fundamentally the portable equivalent of a boulder.</p>

<p>THank you!<br /><br /><br />Actually, my main problem is that the 055 is allu and not carbon.. I find my self rarely using it, and almost only when I do landscapes where I drive out to do just that.</p>

<p>In my mind right now; I want a light tripod, but still GREAT stability, as my mind is in total lock up on image quality.</p>

<p>The tripod should also be possible to have in the luggage, so I actually bring that damn legs to my vacations :-) </p>

<p>My large tripod is a Gitzo G1297 Basalt, which for the price, is an amazingly well made, stable set of legs. But it's overkill for my 5DMK2, so I rarely use it. My travel tripods are the smaller Benro carbon fiber ones. While not quite as well made as the Gitzo, they are great for the price.</p>

<p>Have a look at the Gitzo carbon fibre tripods. I have two and they are robust, solid/stable performers and relatively lightweight. One has a Markins ballhead and the other, a Wimberley. For me, a tripod isn't an accessory, but part of the camera - so I use one constantly.</p>

<p>Work out what load (mass of camera + lens) you will be using and then you can do a comparison of models at the Gitzo site (http://www.gitzo.com/). The fewer sections the better. As far as vulnerability to damage goes, unlike flip levers, the Gitzo section twist locks don't get broken in baggage holds of aircraft, etc.</p>

<p>I used Manfrottos for 15 years but I am much more impressed with the current Gitzo product. They are expensive but if cared for properly, they will probably outlast you - buy well, buy once.</p>

<p>Okay guys I have changed my purchase;</p>

<p>Basicly, I am very pleased with the seller of the Benro tripods, and have heard a lot of positive things about them. I think the Gitzo is like a Rolex, you can pay half the price and get the same quality in other watches. Maybe not 100% match, but pretty much the same inside pieces.</p>

<p>Anyways, thats just what I think, and since I have read so many places that the gitzo copies(benro) almost are the same, I went for them.</p>

<p>I had a difficult time choosing tripod, but I wanted a carbon,stable,and without a center column. Why no center column? Because I have read that it greatly increases stability and I really want to be able to go low, really low.</p>

<p> </p>

<h3>I went for Benro C3780T with a B3 ballhead. I have also read alot about people not reccomending the ballheads, but that was before the new release. After that, I find only positive feedback.</h3>

<p>Anyways I will be using this for a 5D mark 3 with a 70-200 at the heaviest, belive that it´s MORE than enough.</p>

<p>300 grams lighter than the 055XPROB combo and I belive a bit shorter when folded.</p>

<p>The 055 is 3,0 total the Benro combo is 2,7.</p>

<p>So what do you guys think? Really looking forward to receiving it, besides the flip mechanism on the manfrotto looks awefull compared to the screw mechanism :D</p>

<p>Oops... I wrote this before Eskil's post but failed to confirm...</p>

<p>I've never had a problem with either my 055 or my TVC-34L in hold baggage; I don't think I've ever even removed the head. Maybe I just buy large suitcases. With the exception of tiny tripods, I've never tried to take one in hold luggage, but that's because I always assumed that security might object to me carrying something with the ergonomics of a baseball bat and with spikes on the end.<br />

<br />

Gitzo is the go-to place for high end tripods (along with Really Right Stuff, if you don't mind the limited range, and some lesser-known companies like Sachtler), but they're not cheap. My brief impression with a 3-series Gitzo in a store was that it was probably more stable than my 055CXPro3, but not by much given the price premium; however, the 055CX is appreciably less wobbly than the aluminium version, so the jump over the XProB will be more noticable. The 5 series Gitzo is much more stable, but also much heavier (that's where the TVC-34L comes in); I've never played with e 057 Manfrotto.<br />

<br />

If you can afford it and want a traditional but light tripod design, a 3 series Gitzo or 2 series (or even 1 series!) RRS would, I'm sure, hold your kit - but unless you've actually seen stability problems with your 055, so would just getting the carbon fibre version of that tripod. I'd at least consider them over the conventional Benro tripods. Once you start prioritising portability over absolute stability - and, really, unless you're getting a supertelephoto, you're probably fine to do this - the trick flat Benro's are more interesting.<br />

<br />

I bought my 055CXPro3 to hold a D700 and 150-500 Sigma, which is probably a little more challenging than the largest 70-200 option. It does so pretty well. What it can't hold so comfortably is a 500 f/4, and I had plans for going large format, hence I upgraded my legs and head. I don't want you to feel you need the biggest possible tripod, unless, like me, you end up getting some bigger glass. Bear in mind you started by complaining about the weight of the 055, not its stability. What head are you currently using on it? I've found the difference between a 055X and a 055CX is dwarfed by the weight of all the other camera kit I carry around, and most tripod heads contribute significantly, so I still think one can over-think the weight argument. I recommend carrying a 500 f/4 around on a MF393 for a while, and you'll largely forget the legs are there...<br />

<br />

I've never damaged the flip locks on my 055 - though I did lose the tightening tool within about a week of getting it (fortunately it's never needed it). I slightly lean towards twist locks so that I don't have to worry about this. I've seen a flip lock fail on a smaller Manfrotto (Modo), where the hinge broke. I think it's mostly down to personal preference, though; I wish Manfrotto would make a higher-end Neotec, since the controls on that are actually nice to use.<br />

<br />

HTH. I'll be interested to know what you get.</p>

<hr />

<p>After Eskil's latest post... Eskil: I'm sure whatever you get you'll be happy with, though I have to say that 300g doesn't sound like all that much! I concur that centre columns are a mixed blessing - many bigger tripods will allow you to replace the apex plate if you want to add a column, and it appears that the C3780T is in that category. I wouldn't necessarily be going column-free for getting low (many centre columns, including that of the 055 series, can be put in upside down, which lets you rest the camera on the floor), but if you don't need one, it's more stable to bolt straight to the apex plate.<br />

<br />

I'll be interested to know what you make of the B3. It's probably fine, though if it sags a little after locking, don't say we didn't warn you! (That's not from personal experience with that head, although it's a problem with an awful lot of tripod heads.) If you've found a gem, I'll be glad to hear about it.<br />

<br />

I wonder how many of the people who claim that the knock-offs are identical to the Gitzos actually own a Gitzo? :-) Still, you're not stressing the limits of tripod design with your set-up, so I'd not be paranoid about economising. (You <i>have</i> read <a href="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm">this</a>, haven't you?)</p>

<p>Thank you for follwing my thread!<br /><br /><br />I´ve searched the forums for EVER and have found many threads of people actually comparing the Gitzos and Benro together, they own both.</p>

<p>Everyone has reported likeness, and there is a rumor on the internet that Gitzo started a factory in China, and the owner of that factory started their own company and used Gitzos drawings.</p>

<p>I am not going to speculate on that, just pointing out why people think they are pretty much the same.</p>

<p>Even though, I wont be using any 400+ mm lens on it, so I guess my tripod is MORE than enough.</p>

<p >Hey Eskil Hess,</p>

<p >If you are not comforble using it, you must cancel it. At the end of the day, you must not be suffering from shoulder pains. Again if it’s too heavy to carry around, you will get tied carrying it even before you start your shoot. Be it a tripod or any other form of photography equipment; always prefer the lightweight ones; especially if you are an on-the-go photographer. This is because you need to carry them all around. Here is a link of a store I know that sells such lightweight equipments. Their prices are also very competitive. Hope it helps. <a href="http://www.photostudiosupplies.com/tripod-head.php">http://www.photostudiosupplies.com/tripod-head.php</a></p>

<p>I was trying to work out what an MT-128 was (it's rarely a good sign when a store stocks exactly one tripod). It's a Triopo, which I won't actually hold against it - I've been championing the Triopo RS-3 ball head for a while - but I've no experience of their tripods. However, the RS-3, while very cheap but extremely sturdy, is one of their larger heads, unlike the KK100s. On this occasion, though, we've been discussing relatively high-end carbon fibre tripods with decent weight carrying capacity - even if they may or may not be slightly overkill for the load being discussed. However much of a bargain that MT-128 may be, I don't think it can live in this company.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Congrats Eskil! I was going to buy a Benro C3780T a couple of years ago then with two discounts the Gitzo 3541LS was suddenly cheaper and I bought the Gitzo instead. I'm into my 3rd year of use with a Benro C2680T travel tripod and I prefer this tripod over the Gitzo equivalent which I also owned. <a href="http://bit.ly/mCtWJN">You can read the details here</a>.</p>

<p>I think these Benro tripods are pretty good value for money. I wouldn't say they're as well made as the Gitzos but you get about 85% of the quality for about 1/2 the price. I would certainly buy another. Benros are Gitzo copies and some of the parts are interchangeable, I'm using a Benro part on my 3-series Gitzo systematic and a Gitzo part on my Benro traveler.</p>

<p>Enjoy your C3780T!</p>