lens for Masai Mara

jitendra_katre

<p>It depends on how close you are planning to get ;-) ... The 300/2.8 w/ 1.4x and 2x are probably going to be the most used of the three, but you've got some pretty gaping holes for a trip like that.</p>

<p>I'd probably suggest adding (or renting) a 100-400, advantages are a) not needing to change lenses to change FL, and b) covering virtually all your likely used FLs. I would image that a 100-400 + 300/2.8 + 1.4x + 2.0x should cover you pretty well for just about everything animal related... <br>

...the stunning landscapes OTOH...</p>

<p>I would love to go to Africa, and I would probably do so as part of a photography group organized by someone who does this all the time. If that's your case, I'd ask the group leader. If that's not your case, it seems one will always be wishing for more length, and as Marcus says, many situations and landscapes will require your full suite of lenses. The big question in my mind is whether a 500mm or 600mm (along with the 1.4x) would be extremely useful; it's a big commitment to travel with a lens that size.</p>

<p>On a recent trip to Namibia I couldn't decide what would be the best option at the telephoto end, so I took both the 300 f/2.8 with 1.4x and 2.0x as well as a 100-400mm. I used these on 5D2 and 7D. This is a breakdown of how used them:<br>

5D2 +300 - 628 shots; 7D + 300 - 226 shots<br>

5D2 + 300 + 1.4x - 58 shots; 7D + 300 + 1.4x - 442 shots<br>

5D2 + 300 + 2x - 69 shots; 7D + 300 + 2x - 282 shots<br>

5D2 + 100-400 - 4 shots; 7D + 100-400 - 489 shots<br>

So, what did I learn? I'd take them both next time too. The 100-400 on the 1.6x crop 7D was an excellent combination, especially whilst travelling. The 300mm was superb for fast focussing and great image quality. Occasionally I would have liked a little more reach, especially for small birds, but 7D+300+2.0x gives you 960mm after all. BTW tele-extenders with 100-400 don't work so well.<br>

At the wide-angle end, I used the EF-S 10-22mm with 7D which you have covered with the Tokina 12-24mm.<br>

I also used the EF 24-105L and EF 70-200L f/4 IS extensively on both bodies - and this is where you have a bit of a gap. If I had had to leave one of these behind, it would of had to have been the 70-200.<br>

So, my recommendations would be to take a 24-105mm and 100-400mm lens and leave the 90mm at home. You really ought to take along a back up body, I liked having both FF and crop, but at least a crop backup. Don't forget a bean bag too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Many years ago, before longer lenses were affordable (at least for me), I made do in Masai Mara and other parks in East Africa with a 70-210mm zoom and a 2X teleconverter. In fact, at that time we were able to get close enough to the game that I did not use the 2X anything like as much as I thought I would need to.<br /> I'd sure take a 100-400 these days. The 300mm is mostly long enough, but its major shortcoming is that it is not a zoom lens. You really need that flexibility since there are a lot of shots possible at the low end of that 100-400mm range.</p><div>00bQf0-524189684.jpg.55703ff49201ac23c5ee34968682a164.jpg</div>

<p>As others have pointed out, you will need a zoom since distances will vary greatly. Changing lenses in the field is a pain and an obvious source of frustrations. You certainly don't want to miss BOTH viewing and photographing the game.</p>

<p>My suggestion: either buy a 70-300 IS (Tamron or Canon) or rent a 100-400. I'd probably go for the former since it's wider (!) and since there will be occasions when the latter isn't long enough anyway. And whatever you do, don't leave your 12-24 at home. In fact it might be your most used lens once you discover that the landscape is as stunning, or more, as the game.</p>

<p>Finally a contrarian's view. Last time I went on a safari I only brought a Sony RX-100 and took some 50 photos. It sure kept me from seeing all the beauty through a viewfinder and bringing heaps of mediocre (or less) shots home. On a previous trip, I only brought a 50D and a 17-40/4L and got numerous keepers. Put differently: what you bring depends on your ambitions and the purpose of your trip.</p>