Choosing the right camera

gia_rucco

<p>I'm sure you guys get asked this all the time, but I was wondering if you could help me out!<br>

I want to really start getting into photography. I have always loved taking pictures but now I want to bring it to the next level. I've been looking into some DSLRs and my main question is, which to choose?<br>

I've never had a DSLR before and this is where I need everyone's help. I'd love to take wedding pictures or any type of event that involves people. I love capturing people at the right time. Would you say to go with Nikon or Canon? My budget is to stay below $700. I've seen different models but I'm not sure which would be right for the type of photography I want.<br>

If you need anymore information, I will be happy to provide it for you.<br>

Thanks for your time!</p>

<p>Either brand will do the job and do it with little or no differentiation between them. What this means is that, with the budget you've suggested, don't worry about quality or durability, they will be the same. At this point, your primary concern should be ergonomics so find a shop that will let you handle the two major brands (untethered) and see which one feels better in your hand. Peruse the menu systems and determine which seems more intuitive to the way your brain works. Many new photographers make the mistake of choosing what others say is good instead of what <em>they</em> prefer.</p>

<p>I agree with Jeff 100%. Modern cameras are so good, especially the newer ones from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax, etc. that it really becomes a matter of two things: how much money you want to spend, and which feels better in your hands. And as Jeff says, too many people buy one brand or the other based on what someone else says instead of what feels better for them. So if at all possible, go to a camera store and try out some different cameras and see which one you like best. You really can't go wrong with any of the major brands these days.</p>

<p>There are a few lenses and capabilities that are unique to each system, but it's not clear that either has a clear advantage. If you have friends with one system, sticking to that so you can get free help and borrow kit might help. Otherwise, as Jeff says, it's a handling thing. DPReview go through the menus, which might be worth a look; Nikon arrange their front dial so you can use it with a middle finger while there's an index finger on the shutter, whereas Canon's set-up either needs a middle finger on the shutter or not using the two at once; high-end Canons have an iPod-like dial that's quite a nice feature... but actually they're pretty minor differences unless they bother you. There's no substitute for trying them yourself. I used to shoot Canon and switched to Nikon - I recently tried a Canon body in a shop and it drove me nuts, but that's probably just down to what you're used to. Sorry there's no easy answer.<br />

<br />

Incidentally, Pentax and Sony make decent DSLRs too (sort of, in Sony's case). They don't have such complete systems as the big two, but if you don't expect to spend thousands on your camera kit, they're worth a look, and have their own benefits.</p>

<p>As already said and repeated: <em>any</em> current DSLR will do the job. But here's why. At the end of the day, the camera is simply a device, a specialized computer whose sole job is to record an exposure. To record light. That's it. A camera records light. If you are in bad light, you will get a bad image. If you are in good light, you at least have a chance at recording a good image. In either case, the camera <em>cannot</em> do anything about the quality of the light you are shooting in. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. The camera only records the light. From a recording of a light standpoint, all cameras are exactly the same. As example, if I place a light meter near my subject and the meter gives me a reading of f/8 (aperture) 1/125th shutter and ISO 400... then that is what I dial into <em>any</em> camera to record <em>that </em>light. What will matter is what everyone else has pointed out: the layout of the menus, how the camera feels to you and other "features" of the camera. Far, far, more important than the camera will be your knowledge of photography. Or put another way, your knowledge will be the greatest limitation. After that comes the light you are shooting in. Because again, with the possible exception of using a camera flash, the camera has zero control over the light you are shooting in. After that comes the lens. The lens is responsible for gathering and focusing the light. I would rather have a great lens on a cheap camera than a cheap lens on a great camera. And the last thing in the equation is the camera itself. And this is why everyone is telling you that choosing a camera isn't really that big of a deal: they all record the same exposure, the same light.</p>

<p>Good advice here so far.</p>

<p>There is one tiny demurrer. Like choosing a spouse, deciding on which camera-line to commit to is a decision that is likely to affect your future activities for a long time, and one which is expensive to change.</p>

<p>So also look at the overall prices, accessories available, etc. If you think that you are likely to really go into this in a serious way, then such things as the availability of a wide range of lenses at reasonable prices should figure into your present choice.</p>

<p>Not that this really limits your choice much, practically, but still.</p>

<p>I'll just add that, if you do find a local shop that will allow you to handle various cameras and is also willing to spend time explaining the various functions to you, then consider buying from them or at least giving them a chance to match an internet price if you find one SIGNIFICANTLY better than what they offer. If no one buys from them, then others may not get the opportunity in the future to realize the same benefit you did in handling the camera directly.</p>

<p >I agree with John Deerfield. A camera has nothing to do with the quality of your images. In fact it’s just a recording device that records whatever its sensor reads. And the sensor of the camera only reads light, so the way you light your shot, will decide the quality of your images. Whether you buy an expensive Canon/Nikon DSLR or the cheaper layman varieties, if you have a properly illuminated scene to capture, your picture will be what you expected it to be. In face the camera accessories such as lenses, polarizing filters, etc. play a great role in improving the quality of your images. The most crucial one of all the photography equipment is the tripod. It balances your camera and stabilizes it so that you capture sharp and clear images.</p>

<p >I will repeat the other members’ advice. Go to a store, try all the cameras, hunt for the features you would need, and select the one that you are most comfortable to use but make sure you also buy the other required photography equipments.</p>