Nikon 18-105 DX on analog body - any experiences?

selma_d

<p>Hello,<br>

I recently bought a Nikon F100, D90 and an f/1.8 50mm lens and am now looking for a zoom lens that will work on both bodies. I could try to buy a second hand 28-105 which seems to be pretty good, but then i won't have a lot of wide angle on the DX D90... So i am wondering if anyone has any experience with the 18-105 DX on an analog body. I know it won't look good at 18mm, but how about 28 or 30mm? If things start looking good around there i think i'd prefer to buy the DX lens.</p>

<p>I'm not completely sure yet which body i will be using most, i really like film but digital is more practical and better for learning things as i'm still new to (D)SLR photography. So for now i will probably use the D90 most of the time but that might very well change in the not so far future. And i'm on a budget, i don't think i am going to buy more than just this one lens for the rest of the year.</p>

<p>Does anyone maybe even have - or know a place on the internet with - photos from the 18-105 on an analog body? </p>

<p>The center part of a DX lens is good, but on a film camera -- not so good. You might look at a AF 28-200mm Tamron for the film body, and chances are good the AF-S 18-105mm lens will be very good on your digital body.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I suspect you will get vignetting at all focal lengths. This is a lens after all that is specifically optimized (read made smaller) for the DX format. I don't own this lens, but I do own the shorter range DX 18~70mm. It shows SIGNIFICANT and VERY HEAVY vignetting at ALL focal lengths on a 35mm/FX body (it actually gets WORSE between 50~70mm). The DX 18~200mm is another lens that vignettes at ALL focal lengths on FX/film. See a pattern? There are some DX lenses that will cover the 35mm frame at some focal lengths, but those tend to be the short range superwides like the DX 12~24mm f/4.</p>

<p>If funds are tight, consider getting a DX 18~55mm VR "kit lens" to cover the wide angle end between 18~28mm on your D90, and get the 28~105mm for the F100 (and D90). Despite the cheap build, the 18~55mm performs surprisingly well.</p>

<p>What's an "analog" body? ;-) :-) :-D</p>

<p>Typically, DX lens image circles will not cover the entire frame of 35mm film (or FF/FX digital sensors). I say "typically" because I do not know what will happen at all focal lengths.</p>

<p>If the film grain is fine enough, and you use perfect technique, you might get something useful from time to time, but it is going to be frustrating.</p>

<p><a href=" DX vs. FX Image Circles and Crops

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Selma, unfortunately, there are no 18-xx film-compatible zooms. i'd learn to live with the 28-105, and maybe pick up a wideangle prime down the line, like a 20mm, or take michael's suggestion and get the 18-55 for the d90. you could also consider a 24-85 which gives you a little more squeench at the wide end. realistically, you'll probably use digital more than film.</p>

<p>An 18-105 lens doesn't do well on a 35mm film frame unless you're specifically going for a crazy vignetted look. I've shot DX lenses that way but it's not particularly useful. Get the 28-105 or a Tamron 28-75/2.8 or something along those lines for the film camera and a DX kit lens for the D90.</p>

<p>The 18-105 VR is great on the D90--and you will use THAT camera a LOT!</p>

<p>Here are a few that I got with the D90 and 18-105 VR--all shot from the car as I drove around town:</p>

<p><a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1030833"><strong>[LINK]</strong></a><br /> <br /> --Lannie<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>The D90 with the 18-105 VR does surprisingly good work at night, too:</p>

<p><a href="/photo/15721012"><strong>[LINK]</strong></a><br /> <br /> <a href="/photo/11778912"><strong>[LINK]<br /></strong></a></p>

<p>It is possible to do some serious work with this relatively inexpensive camera-lens combo.</p>

<p>If you are like a lot of us, Selma, you will not find yourself shooting the F100 or other film camera much anymore, and so I would choose the lens that will work best on the D90.</p>

<p>--Lannie<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>Back to your original question:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone maybe even have - or know a place on the internet with - photos from the 18-105 on an analog body?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I certainly don't know anyone who routinely shoots a DX lens on a film or digital FX or FF body. It simply is not the lens for the job. </p>

<p>Since you have the D90, I would buy a DX lens. The 18-105 DX VR is certainly not the only option, but it is relatively inexpensive, and it does very well. You are right, I believe, to want something that is at least as wide as 18mm if you are going to be shooting DX. </p>

<p>I realize that the 18-105 has from time to time been offered as a kit lens, but it is better than most kit lenses, in my opinion. It is on my D7000 as I write. I have better lenses, but it is a very versatile lens--and it does not require a major outlay.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Thanks for all the comments!</p>

<p>Yes i see the pattern Michael, it's just that the only topic i could find about a DX lens on a film camera was indeed about the 12-24. So it's most likely not going to work then, sorry to hear it but good to know. </p>

<p>I'm not completely sure what i'm going to do now. I know the 18-105 would be a very good choice for the D90, but i'm really charmed by shooting film too. So i'm not that eager to spend some 170 euros (i'm living in the Netherlands) on a lens that's no use at all on the F100. From that point of view the 28-105 would be a much better choice as it will work just fine on the D90. I'll miss the wide angle but i don't know how badly i'd miss it. And it's harder to find a good 28-105. I'm going to think things over a bit...</p>

<p>FX lenses will work well on FX and DX bodies, but DX lenses will have dark corners and 50% longer focal lengths on FX bodies, film or digital.</p>

<p>For about $600 you can buy a 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 primes for your D100. These lenses will also work on your D90. Mediocre, slow AF zooms will disappoint you. The lure of a one lens for all is impractical. Maybe the 28-200 for the D90 giving you 50-300 effective. Getting wider on a DX gets expensive. That's why the 18-55 kit lens is popular...its cheap ($100), sharp and has VR. Don't let the lens snobs tell you otherwise.</p>