Aperture ring on a Quantaray with N80

jadedmonkeys

Ok So i bought an N80 with a Quantaray 28-90 because its all I can

afford. I was going to get the 28-80 Nikon G lens but the store rep

said I shouldn't get the G lens because it doesnt have an aperture

ring so i can manually adjust it. So i got the Quantaray with an

aperture ring, but the thing is, it has to be set on F/22 for my N80

to work. If it's set elsewhere i get a F EE flashing on my screen.

Is there anyway i can control the aperture manually rather than on

the dial?

If the store rep told you, you can change aperture on this lens

on the lens, then he was forcing you to buy I think.

On my N65 also, I cannot change the aperture on the lens. I have

to set aperture to f/22 and lock and use wheels to change aperture.

I think this holds true for modern AF cameras. I have 28-105D

has aperture on the lens also.

You cannot manually adjust the APERTURE RING on either the N80 or N65. The camera's electronics operate the diaphragm. This why you set the aperture on the lens, IF the lens has an aperture ring, to the smallest setting. The camera will now control the diaphragm opening in the range between the minimum and maximum apertures of the lens in use. This means you CAN use a G lens; also, having the aperture ring on the lens is of NO BENEFIT for N80 and N65 users. For a nominal charge, I will tell you which page of the N80 manual you can find the necessary information. :-)

"the store rep said" - The wrong information that the salesperson gave you points out something that I've learned the hard way as well. You need to find a dealer that you can trust and possibly build a relationship with. My rule of thumb is that if a salesperson gives me an absolute, such as "you should not buy this" or "it will never do that", I check it out on photo.net or other sources before I buy.

How long ago did you buy this lens? I would try and exchange the lens or get a refund, then I would get the Nikon lens.

I would also go to another dealer from now on. Checking here or some other source on the net first, before buying is good advice.

This is why things like the internet and photo.net are of such great service these days. Customers can research things on their own withou any sales BS.

Perfect example, a local camera store here once tried to convince me that the Nikon AF-D ( not AF-S) 80-200 f2.8 was "easily $3,000 " ... and then went on to try to sell me the cheap sigma 70-300... this was also the same store that tries to sell me a used 24mm af nikkor for $350. Obviously the owner doesnt know about the net, and probably thought i believed every word he was saying. I just stood there and went along for the ride ("oh, this is a nice lens..." bla bla )...