D7100 and bird feathers

Barry Clemmons Photography

<p>I was photographing birds this week with my D7100 and 200-400mm VR I lens when a sparrow landed very close to me. He was only there for a second but I was able to get a quick shot. Although it is not a shot that I would print, it was useful to show the D7100s performance with moiré since it lacks an AA filter. This is the original with normal processing including some sharpening.</p>

<p>Evan, the point of posting the shot was to show no occurrence of moiré since some were concerned about no AA filter on the D7100. It wasn't to impress you or anyone else. Only to provide an example. I stated above that this is not a shot that I would print. Since the bird was very close it provided a chance to look at an extreme close-up of feathers at 100%. Your D7000 in fact shouldn't show moiré since it has an AA filter to prevent that. I have been very impressed with the D7100 as far as nature shots, in particular birds. But if you have a D7000 and 300 f/4 with TC 1.4 combo that will outperform the D7100 then congratulations. You better hold on to that baby.</p>

<p>Now take a shot of a silk shirt just close enough to show the individual fibers. That's where moire will raise its ugly head. It does this with my Pentax K100D (very old DSLR) which has a "thin" AA filter. </p>

<p>Really clear detail captured with that zoom lens, Barry. My old film legacy Sigma 70-300mm at 300mm couldn't come close to the amount of clarity in your feather detail. </p>

<p>Mary, I no longer have my D7000 as well but I agree the detail is slightly better with the D7100. The biggest improvement I have observed is much quicker focusing. And Owen I am looking forward to your comparison since you still have the D7000. That will be interesting.<br>

Tim, you are correct about the silk shirt. I have had a few occasions with portraits where moiré shows up even on cameras with an AA filter with very tight patterns in clothes. I recently did a session using the D800 and D800E. All of the shots with the D800E were very clean and moiré free while two or three shots with the D800 had some very serious moiré that required extra work in post-processing. The culprit was the blue jeans the person was wearing. </p>

<p>Ever since I received the D7100, I almost exclusively use it for bird photography, and I have probably close to 3000 images by now. I have had some minor moire issues with feather and building, but just like the D800E, as Rob Galbraith told me, I have all but forgotten about moire issues. With the D800E, I on purpose took a bunch of images of blue jeans, silk scarfs, etc., and I have yet to get moire even once in those images.</p><div>00bYOv-531957584.jpg.b90ab2d8fb0d79a9d24e6ba0ae8028c1.jpg</div>

<p>You most likely won't get moire shooting anything including silk fabric <strong>IF</strong> you don't shoot such subjects at a distance who's frequency pattern follows closely to the pixel grid frequency of the sensor and/or demosaicing algorithm that tries to deal with it. </p>

<p>IOW the odds are with the photographer of this not happening but it will on occasion if the software can't fix it. I fixed mine using Color and Luminance noise in ACR but with careful fine tuning and zoomed in at 200%. Detail that fine isn't going to be seen on an inkjet print anyway due to other factors like stochastic dithering which hides noise as well.</p>