Need Focusing Aid for AE-1 Program

anthony_r.1

<p>Does anyone know of an alternative to the Canon Magnifier S? My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I would like to use my trusty old AE-1 Program again, but I need help focusing. I've searched ebay and all the used outlets I know of, but no luck. It seems to be hard to find.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. The diopter would help. I use it on my EOS 60D. I was kinda interested in the magnifier because, even with my glasses on, that split prism sometimes is hard to see clearly. I just ordered an E type -2 from Adorama for $13 bucks. I figured if it doesn't fit or doesn't help, it's not much money lost. I'll do some research on the angle finders as well.</p>

<p>A better and more expensive solution would be to Focusing Screen L for your AE-1 Program. The two-way splitscreen makes focusing accurately very easy. The downside for me was that I had only eyes for the splitscreen, it changed the way I looked through the viewfinder, and therefore I found it more 'difficult' to use.</p>

<p>I've been a life long myopic. My vision had declined markedly in the last 6 years. I've not seen semi-clearly, any viewfinder without about a -5.0 diopter in addition to -3.0 dialed into the body built-in one. And even then I eventually could not read any data in the viewfinder. I used either a magnifier add-on, used a special pair of glasses or relied on autofocus via more modern bodies.</p>

<p>So, I finally had cataract surgery for both eyes in January of this year. My vision went from 20/2000+ to 20/20 and 20/30 left - right, respectively. That is in a range from about 18 inches out to inifinity. For distances closer than about 16 inches I now need reading glasses. Now everything is as clear as when I was 20 (some 4 decades ago). I would remind all older folks to stay current with the eye doctor and tend to issues before you get a bat-blind as I was.</p>

<p>I believe that most viewfinder data and focus indicators are set in cameras to appear as if they are at a distance of 1 meter from your eye. I had a pair of glasses made that effectively had my right eye (my dominant and focusing eye) to see 'best' at 1 meter (sort of like what happens in a tri-focal, etc). That did help a bit, in that it did make the viewfinder a bit more usable. Eventually the cataract did that in too.</p>

<p>A diopter or a better range focus spot finder screen would be the simplest.</p>

<p>Long Winded Jim</p>

<p>I have a Magnifier R with adapter S and I've used it for years. It works well, but it shows only the very center of the frame. For critical focusing confirmation, it works great, although an A-series Canon's darkening split-screen will cause a problem if a slow lens is being used -- or a macro lens with a lot of extension. Still, if critical focus is mostly what is needed, and we're talking tripod or copy stand stuff here, okay?, then it works very well.</p>

<p>Just thought I'd pass along a tip I received. Let's say you need a diopter that isn't made in the strength you need, or you can't find the one you need. But you can find others.</p>

<p>What you do is take an old pair of glasses -- ones that still work pretty well for you -- and right about the center of the preferred lens, trace out the perimeter of the diopter you need. To get things the right size, it works best if you can remove the diopter lens from its frame first. So cut out your new diopter with a hacksaw or coping saw (better) and then, depending on how skilful you are in matching up the new with the old using knives and/or files, you may be able to drop it right in. Failing that, you can probably glue it in place.</p>

<p>This sort of job works best for fixed vision lenses. I don't think it'll work with a progressive lens.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like Scott's idea of focus assist. I sometimes use manual focus lenses on Nikon AF bodies (no split screen, just a plain focus screen w/ two [ ] AF marks), and that green focus confirmation light is wonderful. I don't even bother trying to get a sharp image in the viewfinder. Just compose, keep a tiny bit of my peripheral vision ready for the little green dot, and when it comes on I fire the shutter.</p>

<p>I have an AL-1 and the fovcus confirmation is interesting<br>

I liied at thgat firs as my eyes are well past the old category.<br>

socusing seems to work ok for me and so does framing it is just that things are not sharp<br>

maybe it would be better to say I can choose the best : not in fcous" point.<br>

I do have 2 canon af p^S and use them whenb they are easier to deal with.<br>

than a big bag or metal slr and lenses.,</p>

<p>Thanks for all the good info. Just as a follow up, I checked ebay again and wouldn't you know, there was a magnifier S for $20, so I grabbed it. So between the diopter and the magnifier on the way, I will hopefully be all set. Thanks for the info on the AL-1 too. I didn't know it had focus confirmation. I might look for one. What the hell, always looking for a good reason to expand my collection.</p>

<p>If you can go the angle finder route, there are 2 options from Canon. Angle Finder B with adapter S will give you will give you a 1:1 image and has a built-in diopter adjustment of -4 to +2. Angle Finder C with adapter Ec-C also adjusts from -4 to +2 diopters and has a lever that switches from 1:1.25X to 1:2.5X. In 1:1.25X all viewfinder metering scales are visible, 2:5X does a really good job of magnifying the center of the image, making it easy to focus.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here's a follow up to let everyone know how things turned out. I got the diopter and the magnifier, and they both work perfectly, although they cannot be used together. I will use the diopter for general applications and the magnifier for more critical focusing. Thanks again everyone for the helpful suggestions.</p>