IS or wide aperture?

jean_jacques_lemaire

Hello!<BR>

<P>I'm currently willing to replace my good old 35-80 3.5-5.6 lens by a better quality "does-it-all" lens. I have lenses around those focal lengths. I'd like to get something sharp & low-distorsion but fitted for low-light situations.</P>

<P>The potential competitors for replacement are:

<li>Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8

<li>Tokina 28-80 f/2.8

<li>Sigma 28-70 f/2.8

<li>Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS.

<BR>(Canon 28-80 f/2.8L is too expensive for me)

</P>

<P>As this 28-135 seems more attractive with its longer range, <B>I wonder if "IS" capability makes it equivalent to f/2.8 or even better" (in terms of low-light capabilities)</B>.</P>

<P>I currently have an old manual focus 50mm f/1.7 which is brilliant but not replacing a 28mm or a 70(80)mm...</P>

<P>I usually shoot nature, landscape and family (indoors & outdoors) with Provia100F. I seriously appreciate the f/2.8 of my Sigma 70-200 EX ... Sharpness, low-light(no flash) capability, ...</P>

<P>Optically, I noticed big distorsion at the 28 end of the 28-135 (on pictures on the web). <B>Does anyone know if the Tokina or the Sigma I listed are better from the distorsion point of view?</B></P>

<P>Thank you by advance for your answers!</P>

IS is better than a wide aperature for non-moving subjects. This is because you get the slighly increased depth of field along with the ability to handhold at a particular exposure value. I have taken pictures at shutter speeds like 1/8 sec (maybe even 1/4 sec) with the 28-135 IS and had them come out fine. I think this makes this a great "travel lens" for times when a tripod is too much and you only want one lens (and thus a reasonable zoom range). I think this is probably the best lens for your situation (replacing your current general purpose lens).

Wide aperature is better if you subject is moving. IS reduces camera shake blur, but cannot reduce subject movement blur. For this you want a faster shutter speed. For these situations, I like the 80mm f/1.8 and fast film.

Jean-Jacques - I have handled the two Tokina lenses on your list and both are poor performers wide open. They also have distortion at the wide end. I think this is something you just have to live with on most inexpensive consumer zooms. I own the 28-135 IS and have found it to be sharp wide open, so at least there are no lost apetures as with the other lenses. Since you seem to be shooting non-moving subjects, the IS is very helpful. Keep in mind that it won't increase shutter speeds to help with moving objects -- but it is great for nature. If I were you, I'd go with the Canon. It's been a great performer. Hope that helps.

OK! Thank you so far for your answers :)<BR>

<P>If I summarize well:

<LI><B>A)</B> Tokina aren't the best choice for those lenses (though I have a Tokina AF193 19-35 which is a winner for its price)

<LI><B>B)</B> Sigma 24-70 EX 2.8 might be a good competitor too

<LI><B>C)</B> Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS allows you to get not-too-shallow depth of field while shooting at low speeds.

</P>

<P>I now wonder those things:

<LI><B>D)</B> Is the Sigma 24-70 EX a sharper lens than the 28-135?

<LI><B>E)</B> If someone experienced both, which of them focuses the fastest?

<LI><B>F)</B> I guess 28-135@70mm can work up to (f/4.0, 1/10s). 24-70@70mm is usable up to (f/2.8, 1/45s). So in low-light, this Canon is "better". Am I right or did I miss something?

</P>

<P>Thanks again for you answers!</P>

Personally I'd opt for a faster lens but only where all are Canon's. I know, I know, I'm just another canon snob :-( OTOH, I owned nothing but Canon primes and L zooms (and a Tokina prime).

Just remember, the fact that a lens an be used at f/2.8 does NOT mean that you will want to use it wide open. Most lenses perform best 1-2 stops closed. That is where IS start to shine.