Q? The fashion shoot process

click_click

<p>Hi I'm a newbie,</p>

<p>I joined to ask someone to post "The fashion shoot process", you know the low down.<br>

<br /> I have searched the threads and found a great one by Benjamin Kanarek , Jul 22, 2009; 06:34 a.m. - A Fashion Shoot in One Day...The Process, and athough great i missed a few sections like "call sheets" and the way people use them.<br>

<br /> Why? Well i'm just starting out and getting together some models and just want to be as professional as possible from the outset. I shoot Nikon, with a selection of lenses including manual. I'm also a beginner in strobist lighting techniques and enjoy learning advanced techniques, but most of all i love photography.<br>

<br /> Thanx in advance!<br /> clickclick</p>

<p>I've been on a lot of sets, and watched some of the most highly paid photographers shooting national campaigns and/or covers. Oddly, 99% of them seem to shoot/light the same way. White-coved studio, black Foamcore 'Vs' shielding the models from the bounce from the background, with strip lights lighting the cove. Then, either a huge softbox, parabolic, and/or a beauty dish as the key.</p>

<p>There's often about 20-30 people on-set (multiple assistants, agency people, etc.). Each shot is streamed to an iMac mounted on a monitor arm, affixed to a rolling Magliner cart. The iMac is almost always running PhaseOne's CaptureOne Pro, with the magazine's cover mock-up superimposed. Clearly, this is at a slightly higher level than my own "fashion" shoots.</p>

<p>Personally, I like shooting models on-location. I would consider the following the minimum amount of personel you would need for a successful shoot:</p>

<p>1. Make-up/hair.<br>

2. Stylist.<br>

3. If possible, an assistant.</p>

<p>I've been scouting locations and have sort of pre-visualized shots I'd like to produce ahead of time. If you can manage it, bring more than one set of wardrobe for a couple of different shots. If you look at major editorial spreads from US and international fashion magazines, you'll notice that the model is always "doing something." Also, both the hair and the wardrobe is often wind-blown to create a sense of movement. Difficult to do with wardrobe, but hair can be fanned using a 4' x 4' sheet of Foamcore, held by an assistant. Of course, this only works fairly close to the model.</p>

<p>Hi Ralph Oshiro,<br>

A welcomed and valued contribution to my questions, big thanx for the insight. Trying get myself up and running but, realised this side of the industry is quite closed off until you know somebody that knows somebody..... so you never get enough info or starting points unless you ask, so big thanx.<br>

Click Click (Sound of the camera...)</p>