A digital version of N70

shawna_mcgregor

<p>The D3200 is directly comparable to the N70, but I'm not sure that it will work with older Nikon lenses. I'm sure that someone has addressed this point, but I don't have time to read all of the posts. ;-)</p>

<p>Don't worry about crop-sensor versus full frame cameras. They render lens focal lengths somewhat differently, but they are all very capable cameras.</p>

Hello Shawna and welcome to the forum and the digital arena!

In nikon speak there are two formats for DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras, Dx andFx. You really want to be in the dx world as

90%+ of the cameras sold today are this format. APC sensor is another way of saying Dx.

This format mostly a zoom lens world with great choices and excellent quality lenses.

They represent terrific value. The d7000 camera body is a value and performance leader although it may not fit your budget,( it costs

approx. $1000).

Another great choice is the D90. And lastly there are excellent cameras like the d3200 ($600 including the lens mentioned below).

I would recommend a lens like the 18-55 mm f3.5-f5.6 AF-S DX zoom lens ( $200) to start.

Hard disk space on a computer is not, in my opinion, too worrisome because hard disk storage is inexpensive now. ( 1 terabyte for $90 at

Best Buy).

Good luck with your decisions!

Brad Anderson

<p>Everybody has their own Take on your question, but today and Friday the D-5100 with 18-55 AFS VR Nikkor can be had for around $600.00 or less. It has the same sensor as the D-7000 and is slightly less talented in some areas, but is a very capable Nikon Camera. It also has the articulating monitor like you were talking about. Something that no one has mentioned so far is that almost all F-mount AI or newer lenses will fit and work on the D-5100, but some functions are not available. Some internet stores are also offering a bag and starter kit with it. This is a great deal for this great consumer grade camera. Remember all new cameras have a learning curve. "There is no try there is only do or don't do". Good Luck!</p>

<p>I scout locations for movies. I've been using Nikons since 1971. I use the D90. It does an excellent job. I looked into the new D600 and the features don't seem to be that much greater than the E90 other than being full frame and having two card slots. Still limited to bracketing at 3 exposures rather than the 8 of the D800. I've been tempted to by the D800, but I'm reading about focus problems on the left focus sensors. So, I've settled back and am happy with the D90 for now. <br>

David<br>

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0411447/ </p>

<p>I also had an F70 (UK) and found the progression to Nikon DSLRs an easy one. I rather liked the F70 and if you could manage the user interface, then the D5100 will be fine. I now use my D5100 in preference to my D300, mainly due to its lighter weight. What I miss on the D5100 compared with the D300 includes: larger viewfinder, grid lines for composition, ability to AF with non-AF-S lenses and not being able to use the flash on the D5100 as a commander for off-camera flash.<br>

On the lens front, I have another 18-200mm (this copy being much better than my first) 35mm f1.8, 50mm af-s 1.8 (excellent lens) and Tamron 90mm macro.</p>

<p>Why doesn't Nikon come out with a digital version of the Nikon SP, or F or F2, or for that matter, the N70: full frame sensor but with manual focus, capability to use the older accessories and glass, deletion of "unnecessary" complexity, appearance and build quality similar to the original cameras...something like the Leica M9?</p>

<p>Thanks again, everyone. My apologies for seeming like I was ignoring your posts. The holiday, you know...</p>

<p>I really wish I could go for a D600 or a D7000 and grow into them, but there is just no way, at least not right now, and probably not for several years. </p>

<p>I am, however, enjoying reading everyone's opinions on the matter, and you're all giving me new things to research and read about, so I've learned a great deal about all these newfangled doodads. In my day, cameras didn't work unless we were walking uphill in the snow 15 miles, you know, and they consisted of a box and a pinhole.</p>

<p>Have a great week, everyone!</p>