Kiev Contax Copy 50 viewfinder

<p>My "no name" Kiev Contax was one of my favorite camera bodies due to the accurate rangefinder and the garage sale 50 Nikon f/1.4 that came with it. But the viewfinder doesn't work for me, it is dim and I wear glasses and can't see the entire viewfinder field so the Kiev gets little use. I'm looking for a 50 auxilary viewfinder to mount into what is an odd size shoe. Does anyone know if there is a 50 finder, Kiev, Contax or otherwise that will fit in the shoe?</p>

<p>By some irony of fate, the genuine Soviet auxiliary finders are hard to find and expensive. I have, however, found (mostly American made) genuine Leica variable viewfinders for very reasonable prices on eBay, and that is what I use for non-standard lenses on my Soviet gems.</p>

<p>However, <em><strong>rangefinders</strong></em> are more difficult than just viewfinders. There are modern rangefinders that might serve you better than the old rangefinder accessories - which never seem to have been any 'clearer' or larger than the ones in the camera.<br /> There are even electronic rangefinders out there with digital output for people like golfers, etc.</p>

<p><br /> If your Kiev/Contax is actually one of the really "no name" on it, hang on to it. Genuine ones are hard to find.</p>

<p>JDM, thank you for your input. After your comments, I took a closer look at the camera body and lens. My "no name" Kiev bears serial # 6305353 and no other markings on the body. The finish and covering, although not of the same quality as an M3, has held up very well over the years with no brassing through the chrome. I noted that the flash sync connection is at the left front of the body which is consistent with pictures of other "no name" Kievs. I recall that back in the '60's small ads appeared in Popular Photography promoting these cameras with either Zeiss Sonnar 50 f1.5 or 2.0 lenses. Dad's came with a Sonnar 2.0; the presently mounted 50 Nikon f1.4 came later at a garage sale. I think Dad paid between $60-70 with the shipping thinking a 35 rangefinder camera with a genuine Zeiss lens had to be a bargain, even if the body was trash. As it didn't have the Leica M3 feel, Dad didn't use it past the test roll. If only 5,000 "no name"Kievs were ever made and the lens were waiting for bodies, it may be possible they were produced in just 2 or 3 months at the then Kiev rate of production. I don't think the ads ran for any long period of time. It is nice to read that "no name" Kievs are currently well thought of. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Christopher,<br>

There are fine 50 mm brightline finders from Leica and Voigtlaender (Kontur) with 1:1 field or the multi finders from Leica or Contax (Mod. 440, turret type), there is also a good Russian copy of the Contax turret finder; they all will fit in your acc shoe. In Germany there's a good chance to get one for reasonable price.<br>

Greetings from Germany, M.H.</p><div>00bFdZ-514589584.jpg.3de0584dd03d01e4095e0ad9708f6d29.jpg</div>

<p>JDM and Michael, thank you for your comments. Based on your comments and my subsequent research, it appears that the camera is indeed a 1963 Kiev. Dad did buy it new in the early 60's. Michael's suggestion and picture of the USSR Zeiss turret viewfinder led me to digging around for my old Leitz turret viewfinder to see if it would fit. The viewfinder problem is solved as the Leitz Imarect viewfinder is a perfect fit. I'll just have to remember to correct for parallax when framing. As it is now put together, it is a bit of a UN camera: Ukraine body, Japanese Nikon lens and lens shade, German Leitz viewfinder,Canadian Tom Abrahamsson softie release and US Kodak film.</p>